PDK Clutch Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 01:57 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
At what mileage / time does Porsche require the pan and filter to be changed ?
Originally Posted by mujeriega
120k / 12 yrs
The PDK gear oil is every 120K miles / 12 Years

The PDK Clutch Oil is every 60K Miles / 6 Years.

I though the PDK pan/filter was supposed to be done every time the Clutch oil is changed?

Thanks.

Old 06-02-2020, 02:07 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,198 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
The PDK gear oil is every 120K miles / 12 Years

The PDK Clutch Oil is every 60K Miles / 6 Years.

I though the PDK pan/filter was supposed to be done every time the Clutch oil is changed?

Thanks.
This thread is coming full circle now. There is quite a bit of confusion surrounding these two services - what's actually done and what hardware is included as part of the process. My local independent has quoted me a price including a new pan / filter. The local Porsche dealer has quoted the service with only doing the fluid change...
If there is one accepted standard for what the service is and what is included - I have yet to discover it.

The following users liked this post:
Mumbles (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 02:45 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
This thread is coming full circle now. There is quite a bit of confusion surrounding these two services - what's actually done and what hardware is included as part of the process. My local independent has quoted me a price including a new pan / filter. The local Porsche dealer has quoted the service with only doing the fluid change...
If there is one accepted standard for what the service is and what is included - I have yet to discover it.
The manual ('09 997.2 C2) only calls for changing the fluid, not the pan / filter. It's probably just a good idea to do it at 120k / 12 yrs since that is the longest interval that they have, you're already changing the transmission oil and the clutch oil again at that time, and that was the interval that they had the ATF filter changed from the Tiptronic transmission.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:59 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,198 Likes on 1,160 Posts

The manual ('09 997.2 C2) only calls for changing the fluid, not the pan / filter. It's probably just a good idea to do it at 120k / 12 yrs since that is the longest interval that they have, you're already changing the transmission oil and the clutch oil again at that time, and that was the interval that they had the ATF filter changed from the Tiptronic transmission.
Thanks.
I'm focused on getting caught up on maintenance that the previous owner(s) did not do at the recommended time intervals. My car has 27k miles on it, but is 11 1/2 years old. I may end up doing both the PDK clutch oil and PDK fluid services together (hopefully some labor savings at least by doing them together). At the end of that, all I want is to know that I'm fully caught up (with trans services) and can move forward with doing more interesting things with the car.

Old 06-02-2020, 05:51 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

120k / 12 yrs

Nope, otherwise I would have paid to have it done last week after completing the PDK service at my local Porsche dealer......
Old 06-02-2020, 05:55 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ironman88

This whole PDK service differing from one extreme to another may have something to do with the PDK plug, as they had to install a new one upon my recent PDK service, and may want to go to the pan replacement with new plugs ? then when the pan is down may as well change the filter ?
Old 06-02-2020, 05:59 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 761 Posts

The filter is part of the non reusable pan.

This is not a part of the 60K service unless you have a 2009 or early 2010 AND the plug is frozen into the pan.

There is a pan kit that includes the oil. This makes it a lot less expensive. Don't let the dealer charge you for each individually.
Ironman88 (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 06:20 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
This whole PDK service differing from one extreme to another may have something to do with the PDK plug, as they had to install a new one upon my recent PDK service, and may want to go to the pan replacement with new plugs ? then when the pan is down may as well change the filter ?
When I went to have mine done the dealer was confused. I called Porsche and they said leave it to the dealers. Try adding in front diff and AWD controller and the dealers head will explode.

I have found people here are much more knowledgeable than the service depts at my local Porsche dealers
Ironman88 (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 08:38 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Originally Posted by dgjks6
When I went to have mine done the dealer was confused. I called Porsche and they said leave it to the dealers. Try adding in front diff and AWD controller and the dealers head will explode.

I have found people here are much more knowledgeable than the service depts at my local Porsche dealers

Yes it seems to be that way doesn't it. I was also surprised to hear the service manager ask if this was the first time the car had been to the dealership as he could't find the car in the computer program. I enlightened him by explaining that the car has been serviced there for the last 9 yrs......
Ironman88 (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 08:42 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
The filter is part of the non reusable pan.

This is not a part of the 60K service unless you have a 2009 or early 2010 AND the plug is frozen into the pan.

There is a pan kit that includes the oil. This makes it a lot less expensive. Don't let the dealer charge you for each individually.

Mine is an 09 and clearly they installed a new plug as its stated on the service report, and they called me to explain the delay in the car being ready for waiting for the part to arrive.
This is the first 997.2 911 they have done at my dealership
Old 06-02-2020, 09:04 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 761 Posts

I'm told that the wrong metal was used for the plug and the threads can be compromised when removing the plug. As long as you don't see any leaks (threads on the pack remained viable) ... Which would be hidden above the bottom panel but may be visible viewed from the back with a flashlight.

Not all pans require replacement. But once the pan is removed it can't be reused.

At 60K miles (some years ago) I got soft quotes of $400 to $1600 from my local dealer but they could never confirm, failed again and again to take my calls or call me back to confirm, and it became more and more obvious they didn't know what they were doing.

So I phone queried a dealer 50 miles away that had an impeccable reputation. I asked questions. I thought I got answers. I took the car there. They pulled the pan before checking the plug. Then they told me the plug was OK and I wouldn't need the pan. Then they realized they couldn't reuse the pan so they suggested I buy a pan from them. I had seen the absolutely clean filter so said no. Then they offered me the pan at half price, still not saying the pan could not be reused. I said OK. They marked the price on the pan at double before taking half off.

Don't count on dealers to know what they are doing. This same superb dealer used a different oil in a friends car. That led to a full investigation on all the different part numbers for various pills in the drive train!!! It is not straightforward.

Next time I took mine to an Indie for the 120K service. After I got it home I compared invoices. I went back the next day to explain they screwed up and had not billed me for the oil. They pointed out that the oil comes as a part of the pan kit.

BTW ... This is also when I discovered the dealer had doubled the pan price before taking half off. And they billed me for the oil at the dealer. Several hundred dollars in elevated parts billing.

Yep ... Regardless of reputation don't count on others to know what they are doing let alone being honest.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
Ironman88 (06-02-2020), Mumbles (06-02-2020)

Quick Reply: PDK Clutch Oil Change