Sponsored by:

PDK Clutch Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 06:25 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,198 Likes on 1,160 Posts
Default PDK Clutch Oil Change

Let me start off by first saying that I've searched previous threads on this subject, and came away from reading them more than a little bit confused. I thought I would raise the topic and seek out fresh facts.

My '09 C2S PDK car has 27k miles. I'm looking to get the PDK clutch oil changed (recommendation is every 6 years or 60k miles.) My car has never had this service done.

Does this service require replacement of hardware, or is it only a fluid / oil change? Interested to know of anyone's experience with this. If it's hardware and fluid, what specific hardware is replaced?

Is there any reason to be concerned in having a reputable independent do the work (as opposed to a Porsche dealership shop?)

(Just to confirm - I'm not looking to do a PDK fluid change - just the PDK clutch oil change.)

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:40 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 126 Posts

The break even time vs mileage for that maintenance is 10K miles per year. When I called my local dealership about it, they had not actually done one. My local indy had done dozens and also knew about the filter and was half the cost the dealer quoted me. I would ask your local indy's how many they have done and get quotes and go from there. You don't need to replace the filter according to my indy. He said they did that initially, then stopped doing it because it was not necessary. Fluid only. My 2c
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 08:00 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I just had this done. The maintenance calls for fluid change only. I did opt for the pan/filter on advice on my indy who says it's just added precaution.
The filter is part of the pan, so it's replaced as an assembly.
Think you're fine doing fluid only though.
Ironman88 (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 08:43 PM
tapcon
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Had no record of mine (09) being done, so did it for time basis at 25K miles. Indy was half the dealership cost and let me supply the fluid. Also skipped the filter change - it looked clean.
Ironman88 (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 09:28 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

I've read that on the '09, because of the design of the pan and drain bolt, there's a chance that the threads on the drain bolt or the pan can become stripped during the process to drain the oil (perhaps due to the materials??). Supposedly this only applied to the 2009 model as there was a design / materials change that affected 2010 and later models.

Sounds like this may not be as much of an issue as has been conveyed by some. I'll inquire about this with the Indy I'll be working with to learn of his experience with any other '09's. I've also read that the filters are almost always very clean. Most of the cost seems to be tied to the pan / filter. Hopefully I'll be able to not have to deal with replacing that component...

Old 05-21-2020, 10:01 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

Confirmed by me so take it for what it is worth
Only fluid, no filter.
Indy is Ok if they have a PIWIS. It is mandatory to get the correct fluid level. (Unless you know the level is perfect and can measure exactly how much you take out and replace the same amount)
Early PDKs did have problems with the bolt stripping the threads requiring a new $300 pan/filter - but this does not have to be done
Ironman88 (05-21-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 12:31 AM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

My .02. Do the pan and filter too since it is an 2009. I believe the differential fluid is due as well.

how does the pdk drive? Mine was a bit slushy, so I had my Indy to a clutch plate calibration as well and it made a big difference for me at 47ish k miles.
Ironman88 (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 12:53 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christian Stark
My .02. Do the pan and filter too since it is an 2009. I believe the differential fluid is due as well.

how does the pdk drive? Mine was a bit slushy, so I had my Indy to a clutch plate calibration as well and it made a big difference for me at 47ish k miles.
The car drives great - zero issues or complaints. The only reason that I am looking to do this service is based on the factory maintenance recommendation (which obviously I'm well past - car is 11 years old now.)
The more I read about this service, the more uncomfortable I get. I am reluctant to go to the dealer with it because their pricing is off-the-charts ridiculous (even for a Porsche dealer). I do have a Fidelity warranty and assume that if the PDK failed, they would look to determine whether maintenance was done or not. So I think I need to bite the bullet on this one.

Production date on my car was November 2008 - so it's an early '09.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:22 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 761 Posts

There is a PDK oil change kit that includes oil and pan. This is a lot less expensive ... So much so that I went back to my Indie to point out their billing error!!!
Ironman88 (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 11:04 AM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

I think my '09 C4S was in November '08 as well. Twinsies!!!

Originally Posted by Ironman88
The car drives great - zero issues or complaints. The only reason that I am looking to do this service is based on the factory maintenance recommendation (which obviously I'm well past - car is 11 years old now.)
The more I read about this service, the more uncomfortable I get. I am reluctant to go to the dealer with it because their pricing is off-the-charts ridiculous (even for a Porsche dealer). I do have a Fidelity warranty and assume that if the PDK failed, they would look to determine whether maintenance was done or not. So I think I need to bite the bullet on this one.

Thanks for the feedback.
Ironman88 (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 11:36 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,506 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88

Thanks for the feedback.
You might want to check out this post over on Planet 9 where the author shows pretty conclusively you don't need a PIWIS for a simple pan drop and clutch fluid replacement.

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/diy...l-mode.237865/

Of course if you are concerned about the warranty this isn't "by the book" as they say. Having the receipts for the fluid would make it harder to challenge IMO.

The following 2 users liked this post by PV997:
Ironman88 (05-22-2020), Presto (05-24-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 01:44 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 761 Posts

That's a great write up!!!
Old 05-22-2020, 01:48 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PV997
You might want to check out this post over on Planet 9 where the author shows pretty conclusively you don't need a PIWIS for a simple pan drop and clutch fluid replacement.

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/diy...l-mode.237865/

Of course if you are concerned about the warranty this isn't "by the book" as they say. Having the receipts for the fluid would make it harder to challenge IMO.
Good information. At a minimum, it certainly underscores the importance of regularly changing the fluid.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:19 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't know that I would agree with that write up.

There's not a whole lot of clutch oil in the PDK. The reason Porsche recommends using the fill-mode using the computer is so that it can exchange as much oil from the entire hydraulic circuit. Fill-mode exercises all those parts to allow circulation of the fresh stuff.

I had mine done at ~60k miles and it made a tremendous difference in the clutching operation of the PDK. It started to get a little slow to engage, especially when cold. Fresh fluid really snapped it up. Based on that, I'd say the 60k interval is probably too long. Wet clutch systems really rely on the proper oil being there and in good condition to function properly.

With such low miles, you probably have some buffer, but the years count too eventually, and I'd have to presume that 11-12 years, eventually is near.

It isn't that big of a deal, the dealer didn't charge an insane amount of money to do it, especially considering the price of the magical clutch oil.

Some portion of the early PDK have issue with the pan/filter assembly. That might be reason to do the gear oil at the same time. The gear oil is quite easy to deal with. No special computer required for the gear.

Ironman88 (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 08:00 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

Not a conspiracy theorist. But my Macan PDK fluid is a simple drain and fill as long as you knows the temp. If that's all it was for the 911 PDK they would do the same.

Quick Reply: PDK Clutch Oil Change