Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Clutch Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 10:10 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I certainly appreciate all of the perspective and information. This forum has continued to provide so much value to me - and I really appreciate it.

I contacted the local Porsche dealer today and they've given me price for the service that is not too bad (surprisingly.)

Given that this of course is a PDK transmission and that my car is under warranty, my summary thoughts are (in light of the information provided):

1) Based on the Porsche maintenance recommendation for this car, I need to get this service done now (based on time, not mileage). I appreciated learning from others that this service may actually provide some improvement in the operating performance of the car.

2) I'm not going to try to cut any corners on it - I'm going to have the service done at the dealer. (Later if the PDK craters on me, they will be the ones that I will be dealing with for the replacement work. Even though the warranty is through Fidelity, I'd like to have the dealership's endorsement on the preventative maintenance work done.)

Again, thank you for those that contributed with information on this thread.

Old 05-23-2020, 03:09 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
I certainly appreciate all of the perspective and information. This forum has continued to provide so much value to me - and I really appreciate it.

I contacted the local Porsche dealer today and they've given me price for the service that is not too bad (surprisingly.)

Given that this of course is a PDK transmission and that my car is under warranty, my summary thoughts are (in light of the information provided):

1) Based on the Porsche maintenance recommendation for this car, I need to get this service done now (based on time, not mileage). I appreciated learning from others that this service may actually provide some improvement in the operating performance of the car.

2) I'm not going to try to cut any corners on it - I'm going to have the service done at the dealer. (Later if the PDK craters on me, they will be the ones that I will be dealing with for the replacement work. Even though the warranty is through Fidelity, I'd like to have the dealership's endorsement on the preventative maintenance work done.)

Again, thank you for those that contributed with information on this thread.
I would agree with you. It isn't something you have do annually (unless you drive it 60,000 miles) so for me I would just as soon leave it to the dealer if the price is decent. I had mine done my a Porsche idie right after I bought the car because my car is not under warranty. I do most maintenance myself, but this one I farmed out.
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 03:36 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Having my 09 c2s done with "both fluid" changes on Monday at P dealer. Currently at 24k miles.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:08 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Having my 09 c2s done with "both fluid" changes on Monday at P dealer. Currently at 24k miles.
Would be interested to know your impression of how the car drives after vs before the work was completed. Thanks.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:57 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

It will be interesting. I currently don't have any problems with the transmission and smooth shifting is normal except going into 1st is always a bit jumpy when you change down
My dealer stated that I will be the first at this dealership to get the PDK fluid change. This service is not due till next year but as I'm a bit overdue for the clutch oil change it saves some labour by doing them both at the same time.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:09 PM
myltz400
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I just had my PDK oil service done at my local dealership, 2009 base 24k miles. It was less than $300, I could dig up the receipt if anyone wants the exact figure.

Spoke extensively with the technician that performed the service. I trust him, really common sense type and has always given me more information than I need to maintain my Porsche cars there or at home. He recommended the PWIS for this procedure. Stated the initial start from a stop in 1st would feel "squishy" until the transmission relearned. In reference to the calibration procedure he strongly recommended not to do it unless there were problems. Just drive it hard when able and it will adapt. The very few that he knows of that have been recalibrated with the PWIS have had to be replaced.

FWIW it cost more to have the low tone horn changed....I gave up on it when I got to the clips behind the headlights. Ha
Old 05-24-2020, 01:17 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 327 Posts

My 60K clutch oil service, including pan replacement.

Their labor rate at that time was $225/hr.

Karl.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:57 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn

Their labor rate at that time was $225/hr.

Karl.
Are you 100% certain it was not a PDK transmission fluid change rather than a PDK clutch oil change? I'm looking at the way the service was defined by the service writer.
Also there aren't any fluids listed. I understand that transmission fluid is included with the replacement pan.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:11 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are in Boise, presumably you called Porsche Boise. They did mine in late 2018 based upon time, not mileage. I referenced the attached document, which they knew about and the tech signed off on which they gave me with along with the bill. Notice it does say 2010-2012, so presumably the 2009 has something different on it's checklist?

At the time Avis said she did not see very many PDK services but I did not inquire any further, just assumed that most owners serviced base on miles rather than time.

PDK was $670 fluid/labor
AWD Controller was $350 fluid/labor
Old 05-24-2020, 06:22 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astraelraen
If you are in Boise, presumably you called Porsche Boise. They did mine in late 2018 based upon time, not mileage. I referenced the attached document, which they knew about and the tech signed off on which they gave me with along with the bill. Notice it does say 2010-2012, so presumably the 2009 has something different on it's checklist?

At the time Avis said she did not see very many PDK services but I did not inquire any further, just assumed that most owners serviced base on miles rather than time.

PDK was $670 fluid/labor
AWD Controller was $350 fluid/labor
Thanks for sending. My car is a C2S - so no need for the AWD service of course.
The 2009 911 checklist is the same as the one you've posted. The price I was quoted (Porsche of Boise) for the PDK clutch oil change was less, but not significantly (just under $100 less.) My intent is to have Porsche of Boise do that service.

I will be getting the plugs and drive belt replaced this week - but by an independent. At the same time I'm having Fister mufflers installed. (The price Porsche of Boise quoted me for the plugs and drive belt replacement was a little over double what I will be paying the independent - and the Porsche dealer's price did not include switching out the mufflers.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:51 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
Also there aren't any fluids listed. I understand that transmission fluid is included with the replacement pan.
The Pentosin FFL 3 is there. See the 6x of '000-043-305-13' in my receipt. As you can see, I paid 'full-fare' to say the least.

If you're curious, here are two threads related to PDK servicing costs:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...il-change.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...il-change.html

Karl.
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (05-24-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 02:03 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

For me, I just decide to farm this one out to my Indy. Had the PDK clutch fluid and transmission fluid changed at the same time for the 6 yr / 60k mark. This did not require a replacement pan / filter and I have a 997.2 launch car. Will do the pan/filter at the next interval. Personally noticed no difference so I guess that's a good thing.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:11 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Quoted pricing,

PDK Clutch fluid replaced (90K or 6years) $539.98 + tax

PDK Transmission oil replaced (180 K or 12 years) $356.30 + tax

Please note, prices are only valid for 2019 and may change in the new year.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:16 PM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I supplied 6 liters of Pentosin FFL-3 to the dealer in Roseville CA inSeptember of 2019. They serviced the PDK and installed a new drain plug for a total of $270.00. They returned 2 of the 6 liters. I had them change the differential fluid in 2018 for $90.00. I provided the 3 liters of Mobilube PTX. If the dealer is willing to use the fluids you provide, you can save quite a lot.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:17 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lurchphil
I supplied 6 liters of Pentosin FFL-3 to the dealer in Roseville CA inSeptember of 2019. They serviced the PDK and installed a new drain plug for a total of $270.00. They returned 2 of the 6 liters. I had them change the differential fluid in 2018 for $90.00. I provided the 3 liters of Mobilube PTX. If the dealer is willing to use the fluids you provide, you can save quite a lot.
Good information.
If my car was not under warranty, I would definitely pursue getting the fluid on my own.

I'm not leaving anything to chance on this one. Letting the Porsche dealer handle it all. If the transmission craters later, we won't be having a discussion on the fluid or where it was sourced.

Quick Reply: PDK Clutch Oil Change