Sponsored by:

Poll - PDK Longegevity

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 11:44 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
My wife's 997 C2S has 107k miles on it with the original clutch. I have a new spare clutch pack in the parts cabinet that will fit either her car or mine, whichever needs one first, and I paid $600 for it from someone in the Marketplace that sold his car. I will do the replacement myself on the lift, so no way in my case the cost of running a manual comes anywhere near the potential cost of running a PDK. Just the normal scheduled PDK services (fluid exchange and software updates) over 100-120k miles likely exceed the cost of me doing a clutch replacement. a MobilLube PTX fluid exchange every 60k miles or so is also pretty inexpensive on a manual.
I understand your logic but you and I are outliers. A clutch job doesn't scare us but we're the exception to the rule. I don't think it's a fair comparison to use the cost of a clutch for a DIYer versus the cost of a potential PDK replacement. Most owners won't have a clutch last 100k miles, and when it comes time to replace it, they're at the mercy of a mechanic. And, so far, only a tiny number of people have had to replace their PDK.

And let's be real--our wives can get 100k miles on a clutch. I don't.

My point is that you can't just compare the cost of each procedure without also factoring in the chance that you will actually need to do it. Many, many more owners will have to pay for a clutch job than will have to replace a PDK.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:58 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,704 Likes on 4,261 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
I understand your logic but you and I are outliers. A clutch job doesn't scare us but we're the exception to the rule. I don't think it's a fair comparison to use the cost of a clutch for a DIYer versus the cost of a potential PDK replacement. Most owners won't have a clutch last 100k miles, and when it comes time to replace it, they're at the mercy of a mechanic. And, so far, only a tiny number of people have had to replace their PDK.

And let's be real--our wives can get 100k miles on a clutch. I don't.

My point is that you can't just compare the cost of each procedure without also factoring in the chance that you will actually need to do it. Many, many more owners will have to pay for a clutch job than will have to replace a PDK.
Yep, probably true. OK, let's say a clutch job is about $3,000 being done at a reputable indy. The stock clutch in my supercharged 997 has 60,000 miles on it and it's driven aggressively and holding about 30% more HP and Torque than a regular C2S. It shows no signs of failing anytime soon, so I'll assume I will get 75k miles from it or so. Based on this, I don't think it's unrealistic for a stock 997 clutch to last 100k miles or more. If a PDK replacement is about $12,000 on average, a PDK would need to last 300,000 miles without needing replacement to equal the running cost of a MT car. Doubt there are too many out there at this mileage to have good data about that and for many people, taking an unexpected $3,000 hit is a lot easier to absorb than a $12,000 unexpected hit.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:04 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,243 Posts

If you do happen to have an extended warranty, the PDK replacement would be covered for the cost of the deductible. Clutch replacement - would not be covered.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:25 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,966 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Yep, probably true. OK, let's say a clutch job is about $3,000 being done at a reputable indy. The stock clutch in my supercharged 997 has 60,000 miles on it and it's driven aggressively and holding about 30% more HP and Torque than a regular C2S. It shows no signs of failing anytime soon, so I'll assume I will get 75k miles from it or so. Based on this, I don't think it's unrealistic for a stock 997 clutch to last 100k miles or more. If a PDK replacement is about $12,000 on average, a PDK would need to last 300,000 miles without needing replacement to equal the running cost of a MT car. Doubt there are too many out there at this mileage to have good data about that and for many people, taking an unexpected $3,000 hit is a lot easier to absorb than a $12,000 unexpected hit.
Clutch job really approaching $3800-$4000 if you factor in replacing the Flywheel.
I have owned (3) 996C4S and (3) 997 C4s or S over the past 7 years----> All 6 cars went 85K-100K miles before needing a clutch.
My current 997S had clutch replaced at 52K miles due to previous owner wanting it new as well as brakes due to moving away from Indy - I bought at 53K

Old 04-24-2020, 02:19 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Lol, the guys whose cars predate pdk seem more excited about pdk poll than anyone.

I think Petza and everyone is correct. We really don't know how they will hold up over time, but they are generally very robust transmissions. 997.2s are starting to get old (up to 11 + year) and nothing lasts forever.

I rarely purchase 911s out of factory warranty. I have a Fidelity Platinum on my 2012 due to the concern that a pdk or engine might grenade. I went with a $500 deductible and it was cheap. I probably would self insure, however, if the warranty costs $4k or more.

We have had about 6 911s and a Macan S with a pdk. We put up to 50k miles on them and have been driving cars with pdks since 2011. Never had any pdk problems and wife's 2010 997.2 with a pdk had about 68k miles when we sold it.

Last edited by Doug H; 04-24-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:25 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Mine has 80,000 no issues at all.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:25 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Is Op going to add the Poll information so PDK owners can vote??
Whats with this PDK crowd??
Yet another reason not to own one

Old 04-24-2020, 02:28 PM
Tennyson
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BucketList
I'll start: 2009 PDK 83K miles.
2010 Cayman S PDK 114K miles. No problems so far, car will turn 10 years old on 4/28. Daily driver since day 1.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:36 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by groovzilla

Lol, I just think this is an old exercise and topic beaten to death. OP could use search function to find poll or several threads on this.

Call me crazy, but I think Porsche dealerships will start working on or repairing pdks if they became a huge problem. I just think failures are so rare it doesn't warrant training techs and stocking parts to work on them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doug H:
maschinetheist (10-13-2021), tcal765 (11-06-2020)
Old 04-24-2020, 02:51 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I admit that this is a limited sample, but the PDK failures that people have posted about are almost all for electronic issues, not things wearing out. Mine has 87k miles on it with no issues (knock on wood). I also think that as failures start to mount, we'll see technicians and companies out there who have the ability to fix and rebuild them. We may still have to replace them, but a rebuild is cheaper than a new unit from the dealer.

Hopefully, that doesn't start to happen until we see them hitting 150-200k miles. I love my car but I won't have it at that point. Too many other things start to go wrong by then.

I am happy to say that my PDK has already outlasted most 4L60E GM transmissions out there.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (10-13-2021)
Old 04-24-2020, 04:01 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Lol, the guys whose cars predate pdk seem more excited about pdk poll than anyone.

And it is not so mysterious what their motivation is. I cannot imagine life living with such a small.. whatever.. that you'd be returning to a thread about a car you don't have so excitedly to get your jollies. Imagine the Turbo guys frothing at the mouth about a thread regarding naturally aspirated 911.. coming back with "where is the poll? where is the poll?!"
Old 04-24-2020, 07:59 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla

I thought about it but then I would have to create a set of mileage answers. What I really want is to know the highest mileage car with a PDK out there. So far that's Wayne at 134k. For now repair options are thin at best. I am using the data to help decide on purchase of an extended warranty. It appears I probably won't based on the current feedback.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:08 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

I thought about it but then I would have to create a set of mileage answers. What I really want is to know the highest mileage car with a PDK out there. So far that's Wayne at 134k. For now repair options are thin at best. I am using the data to help decide on purchase of an extended warranty. It appears I probably won't based on the current feedback.
How many miles do you have? If less than 35k, Fidelity warranty is pretty dang cheap.
Old 04-25-2020, 02:45 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
This is not true any more. Since the PDK and manual are basically the same transmission now, they share most of the same strengths and shortcomings. For example, a number of PDK owners have reported a failure of the backup switch, which is located inside the transmission. It is thought this flaw would also affect the manual, but nobody can confirm or deny it.

This does not apply to the 997 models, only to the 7 speed manual.
While the two transmissions have much in common, what transforms a manual to a PDK involves a fair amount of electronics that the manual doesn't have. That's what's failed in every single PDK failure story I've read. Includes the failure on my own -09 C4S. Electronics related.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:16 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

I get it---> Just breaking your ***** since I'm so freakin bored and coffee/keyboard combo deadly.
Whatever you decide nice looking P-Car and enjoy it!!! ---> Would like to see photo of wheels, look like Carrera Sport 11's?? Please don't paint them black or Gold (another thread)
All the best and keep healthy everyone!!

Quick Reply: Poll - PDK Longegevity