Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Values, when will they bottom out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 11:37 AM
Karl Streich
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Values, when will they bottom out?

I'm in the market for a great value on a manual transmission 997, this started out as a c4s, however now I'm wondering if a turbo would be a better choice, this would be more of a drivers car, not so much a time trial car.

I paid a bit of attention to the 996 price bottom and ii was wondering how the 997 curve looks, it seems they are around 50% more expensive as compared to the 996, and is there any expectation that the 997 will bottom as low as the 996?
Old 03-15-2020, 12:20 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Excellence Magazine publishes a nice Buyer's Guide annually. It's a good reference. In addition they include market updates in each issue of the magazine. May issue just out has one for 996/997 models.
Your question is too broad, and I certainly can't answer it. If you're looking for a car, buy the best one you can find for what you're willing to spend. Good luck with your hunt.
The following users liked this post:
Perdido (03-15-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 12:42 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

"Driver's Car", that depends on what kind of driving. Turbo for more highway sure. If canyon carving, a lighter more nimble C2S would be a more fun fit.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:57 PM
TractControlOff
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree regarding the C2S as a "canyon carver." I bought my .1 C2S because I get the most enjoyment out of mountain back roads (doesn't explain why I sent the car to FL... ). 997TT is a great platform for power though, and still a great driver's car.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:08 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts

It also depends on the new releases Porsche will be launching.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:16 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 257 Likes on 174 Posts

I believe the 997 curve has flattened or started its way back up especially for .2 manual cars. Get one now while winter prices are still in effect.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:18 PM
Donny87
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don’t think the 997s will ever be as cheap as the 996s. The 996 is probably the least appreciated generation of the 911.

CarGurus has some pricing tools you can look at.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-...rsche-911-d404

CarGurus also has a pricing graph, that I can’t get to show up on my phone, but 2007 and 2008 model year 911’s (the model line as a whole) bottomed out in 2016 and 2017 and came up a bit since. They dropped a tad at the end of 2019, but that may be because it was winter and not a lot of people are buying sports cars.

try this link on a desktop
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/price-...rsche-911-d404

If you’re expecting to get a 997 Turbo for 30 or 40 grand I don’t think that will ever happen.

Trending Topics

Old 03-15-2020, 01:50 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

I agree with others here, the prices seem like they have already bottomed (current economics conditions aside). I purchased my 997.2 6MT last year after browsing the market for 18-24 months prior to that. During that browse period, prices were pretty much stable, both for 997.1 and 997.2 examples. Since I purchased almost a year ago, I've seen prices stay about the same or increase, especially for 997.2s. In fact, it seems rare to even see a 997.2 6MT for sale these days, mostly PDKs available for sale. As others have said in other threads, the pricing spread between the manuals and the tips/PDKs will continue to get wider, especially for the 997.2s were much fewer manuals were made. Your best "values" will be on 997.1s. Because of perceived IMS issues there will always be a discount relative to 997.2 models.

Best deals on turbos right now seem to be the 996s which are starting to creep down towards the $50K levels. 997 Turbos are still pricey unless they're very high mileage. Good luck with the search! Mine went through several iterations before ultimately focusing on trying to find a 997.2.
The following users liked this post:
63mercedes (03-15-2020)
Old 03-15-2020, 02:22 PM
63mercedes
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 182 Posts

Ripking hit it pretty good. Depending on what model roof and transmission, the curve has already bottomed out for some and still going down slightly on others. A lot of the cars were ordered a la cart so pricing identical ones gets tough. You can have the same two cars and huge spreads with the same mileage, based of just condition alone. Make sure you get a ppi, drive a few, and know what you want. Don't rush it, but at the same time life is short. I wanted a speed yellow .2 manual 4s coupe with all the carbon... I'd be dead before a used one came up for sale lol. So I bought a white one with no carbon and all is still well.

The turbos a whole different story. Your talking a lot of power. When you get an CS really going it's dangerous. Turbos too much for me personally.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:31 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mercedes
When you get an CS really going it's dangerous. Turbos too much for me personally.
So, I have a base model with a few goodies on it that bring power probably fairly close to an S. I will say, the power isn't quite as easily on tap as my last car, a BMW 435i. You have to ask for it first. But once it comes on the car is damn fast and especially in twisty canyons. The car is plenty fast to get my adrenaline going and I often wonder if a turbo would be too much. Where I really think the turbo would be helpful is lower in the rev band where the NA models just don't have as much power. I'm used to driving turbos that give you a lot more oompf lower in the rev band and my 911 just doesn't have it at lower speeds. I've never driven a 911 turbo to know if it would give me what I want at lower speeds but I would be lying if I said the thought hadn't crossed my mind at least a few times!
Old 03-15-2020, 05:43 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,913 Likes on 2,903 Posts

When 1/2 the population is dead from the CV
But on semi-serious note the current recession which will only get worse real soon usually bottoms out the car market very quickly.
We've all been spoiled with globs of $$ - Tines a changing quick.

Stay healthy
Old 03-15-2020, 05:59 PM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
When 1/2 the population is dead from the CV
But on semi-serious note the current recession which will only get worse real soon usually bottoms out the car market very quickly.
We've all been spoiled with globs of $$ - Tines a changing quick.

Stay healthy
Beat me to it. Luxury/sports car prices are HIGHLY susceptible to the general economy. During the 2008 recession, most "collector" or "enthusiast" cars lost around half their value. But like stocks, it is relative and the prices will come back as the economy does too. It's all cyclical. We have been due for a down-turn for a while. I hope we don't get one but if we do, it will turn around into a recover eventually like always and the prices will rise back up. I would say given current circumstances, the market is likely at the top for all collector cars and will fall with the economic down-turn likely to happen. Hopefully it bounces back quickly.

For what it's worth, I put my money on a 997.2 C2S 6MT for the same reasons a couple others have mentioned and I'm quite happy with my decision. I bought late last year and the value has already gone up based on trends I've seen.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:19 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

I made a bet with a buddy a couple years ago that you will never see a good 06+ manual C2S with average miles and good history go for less than 30k. So far I haven't seen one sell for less.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:01 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 696 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
I made a bet with a buddy a couple years ago that you will never see a good 06+ manual C2S with average miles and good history go for less than 30k. So far I haven't seen one sell for less.
That is a good bet.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:22 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

I am interested in what sort of a premium, if any, would be given for a properly rebuilt 997.1 C2S car: IMS Solution + sprocket pinning completely eliminates any IMS concerns, the risk of bore scoring is largely attenuated with nickel-silicon-carbide-plated cylinders, and a greatly improved chain tensioner system is deployed, and lots of wearing parts get completely replaced with new. I'm sure there is some brand name recognition involved, but it would be interesting to have a range of any premium. It might be problematic to get such numbers any time soon as anybody crazy enough to spend the money to rebuild is likely to be planning to keep their car forever.

Quick Reply: Values, when will they bottom out?