Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neon Green Leak - A/C Compressor Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 02:43 PM
FlatHat
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Neon Green Leak - A/C Compressor Oil?

Pulled my car out of storage last night and noticed this pool of neon green liquid under the engine. At first I thought coolant, but I did water pump, therm, AOC, a bunch of hoses, etc. in the fall and I used the pink Porsche coolant...plus there is no leakage from any of the aforementioned items.

Popped the airbox off and traced the leak up to the A/C compressor...my guess is a fitting on the A/C started leaking and some internet sleuthing suggests that if there is a leak and the pressure in the system gets too low, that the lubricant for the A/C compressor leaks out. I had no idea there was this much in there!

I don't have the equipment to DIY the A/C stuff, so going to take it to my indy when it gets a bit warmer...but thought I'd put a few photos here if this is an issue for anyone else. Let me know if you have had something like this in your car and what you did / had done...this is an '05 Carrera base

that puddle wasn't there in the fall when I parked her...

ahhh - slimer's revenge!

winner winner chicken dinner
Old 03-13-2020, 09:19 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,596 Likes on 4,194 Posts

I've never seen that failure before. I wonder I'd something chewed through one of your high pressure A/C lines while the car was stored.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:33 AM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

That there's PAG oil. It's put in with the refrigerant to lubricate compressor innards. The refrigerant is colorless and odorless, and has flown the coop too. You'll need a new compressor at minimum.

Last edited by swingwing; 03-13-2020 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Added sentences.
The following users liked this post:
RABjr (08-27-2023)
Old 03-13-2020, 01:32 PM
FlatHat
Instructor

Originally Posted by swingwing
That there's PAG oil. It's put in with the refrigerant to lubricate compressor innards. The refrigerant is colorless and odorless, and has flown the coop too. You'll need a new compressor at minimum.
Ja - this echoes what my mechanic mentioned when I chatted with him on the phone (dropping the car off on Monday)...will update when he gets in there...
Old 04-02-2020, 02:49 PM
FlatHat
Instructor

Follow-up: My indy tested and did not see a leak at the compressor, but rather the connection for the upper refrigerant hose. He replaced the 99757309705 hose and a few o-rings and refilled with R134a freon...it was a $515 fix. He said this hose is somewhat common as a leak culprit. In this case the compressor tested fine as the leak happened while the car was sitting for the winter. Swingwing is right that the refrigerant has lubricant for the compressor; but I'm lucky as the compressor never ran without lubricant as the car was just sitting.

Hope this is helpful for anyone with the same issue!
Old 06-28-2023, 10:05 PM
ahan01
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatHat
Follow-up: My indy tested and did not see a leak at the compressor, but rather the connection for the upper refrigerant hose. He replaced the 99757309705 hose and a few o-rings and refilled with R134a freon...it was a $515 fix. He said this hose is somewhat common as a leak culprit. In this case the compressor tested fine as the leak happened while the car was sitting for the winter. Swingwing is right that the refrigerant has lubricant for the compressor; but I'm lucky as the compressor never ran without lubricant as the car was just sitting.

Hope this is helpful for anyone with the same issue!
Bumping this thread, as I think I've got a similar problem. 2006 911 Carrera:

Drove home from work, turned off car, heard a whistling noise, then steam or smoke from front compartment. At long last came upon this leakage of green fluid in the front compartment to the left of battery (when facing car). Bubbling of gas from underneath where metal cap meets plastic black bit (indicated with my finger). No leakage of green on the garage floor, just a small puddle of clear, odorless fluid mid-body.

Old 06-29-2023, 12:05 AM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

That is the pressure switch. See here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ispreloading=1
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...3-ac-help.html

I am no AC expert, but I bought a new pressure switch and a can of 134a refrigerant - replaced the switch and refilled the system and everything was fine to resolve my AC problems.
Old 08-27-2023, 05:50 PM
carguy999
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 79 Posts

I've got a green leak today as well.. is it safe to drive? My Indy is about a 20 minute drive away.

Quick Reply: Neon Green Leak - A/C Compressor Oil?