Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future Aftermarket: Bolt on Hybrid systems !!??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 05:20 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Future Aftermarket: Bolt on Hybrid systems !!??

Vonnen, an American California based performance company has created an electic motor that sandwiches between tranny and motor. Currently working on 2009-Current PDK cars only, but eventually will be for Manual transmissions as well.
The PRICE.... $75,000

BUT.... I have often day dreamed about the possibilities of adding electric motor type torque to AWD vehicles. Instead of a drive shaft to the front wheels you could replace that with electric power and have front wheels driven by electric and rear by the motor.

Here, Vonnen has figured out a way to apply electric power directly to the transmission so this works for Rear wheel or All wheel drive! Although I am not an EV type of guy, I totally love the idea of the 918 Spyder and having the best of both worlds. A great sounding engine with Hybrid tech.

Imagine the bolt on hybrid possibilities in 5-10 years for our "Classic 997" cars. Could be very exciting!!!

Old 03-09-2020, 06:26 PM
bschurr
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts

Very interesting - thanks for sharing.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:37 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Shave a "0" off and include installation instructions and you've got yerself a deal
The following users liked this post:
qikqbn (03-09-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 06:39 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 92 Posts

Could Porsche not do something like this, why can't the 911 achieve 35 mpg?
Old 03-09-2020, 07:27 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by voiceprint1

MPG improvement is not the purpose of this application, although I am sure it could help, but this is strictly for acceleration/torque improvement and the ability to regen in short bursts.

Porsche is already planning on something similar for the 992 due to the fact they are already using the panamera/hybrid 8 spd transmission in the 992 that has a small space already available to insert an electric motor.

This is exciting to me because it could be a possible upgrade to do with older generation 911's
Old 03-10-2020, 06:00 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,594 Likes on 4,192 Posts

No market for that at the current pricing. If Porsche later offers it from the factory, that's a different story, but then you have to buy a new 911, so not interested in that option either. You guys need to keep the miles off your 997s and keep upgrading so I have a nice pool to choose from for the next 30 years or so.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:03 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

That stuff is ridiculous. Price wise and complexity wise.
Spend the money on a Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor and enjoy true and exhilarating accelerations.
Then you can drive your nimble and light Porsche without all this added and useless complexity.

Besides, Porsche is working (supposedly) on one of these: https://www.greencarreports.com/news...on-porsche-911

Yves
Old 03-10-2020, 10:28 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,387 Likes on 1,295 Posts

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
I didn't buy my 911 for the mpg. I have other cars for that. If you are getting good mileage, you are not driving it as intended.
qikqbn (03-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 11:12 AM
AIrey1507
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by linderpat
I didn't buy my 911 for the mpg. I have other cars for that. If you are getting good mileage, you are not driving it as intended.
Agreed, but the range on these cars (997, not sure if the newer ones have bigger tanks) is dismal. I'm usually filling up at 230-240 miles, but less if I'm hooning it. I have to drive a fair amount (45 minutes each way) to get to the "good" roads. With today's on-the-fly tuning, cylinder deactivation, etc. I would appreciate a selectable Eco mode that ran leaner, shut off a couple cylinders, relaxed the transmission, etc. That way I could get 30 mpg while cruising to offset the 10 mpg when actually driving.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:20 PM
93Jaffe
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd be amazed if this bumped you up more than 1 MPG average. If I remember correctly the motor is only applied at like 75% throttle. This thing installed is like $575 per HP. Thats insane even in the P world.
Old 03-10-2020, 12:26 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
No market for that at the current pricing. If Porsche later offers it from the factory, that's a different story, but then you have to buy a new 911, so not interested in that option either. You guys need to keep the miles off your 997s and keep upgrading so I have a nice pool to choose from for the next 30 years or so.

I totally agree, the current pricing pretty much shuts down the conversation right away. It is a ridiculous price point when you consider the price of the car plus the ev kit...you are better off buying a used 2015 Turbo S.

For those who know me on the forum I am a gear head at heart. No plans to sell my 997 and I am also, sorry Tesla guys, a petrol head to the core. I have never jumped on the EV band wagon. I posted this because I find it interesting and knowing how technology prices can plummet when competition jumps in and more cost effective solutions are found made me say....hmmmmmm.

Although I have driven several of my friends Tesla cars and they are very impressive with acceleration and commuting in traffic appeal, I personally had no desire to buy one. Although I have to admit the Taycan has made me raise a brow and consider a possible future owning one. Probably more as a replacement for our Cayenne that my wifey uses if I decide to trade the Cayenne in some day.

I just imagine in 5-10 years from now that this tech, with more competition, could drop way down in cost. Imagine if this kit was more like $10k installed and with the option to remove and go back to stock at any time?!?! That would be interesting.... just saying.

Here is another video showing one company using Tesla motors in vintage 911... Not quite up my alley, but I found the "purist" comments being more my line of thinking. Still, I imagine this being more and more the trend as time marches on... It is still going to take a lot of convincing to get "purists" to jump on board.
I would never go full electric, but as I said in my first post, the 918 spyder idea and concept of a great petrol motor mixed with some ev torque benefit is very interesting. Something I know we will see first hand in a couple of years with the 992 Hybrids.

yvesvidal (03-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 01:11 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

It's neat. Just from watching the video it is not easy to discern if the extra power is really all there. It's an interesting concept. I'll be interested to see where this kind of thing goes in the future. I'm focused right now (And likely the foreseeable future) on adding lightness.
qikqbn (03-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 03:29 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
I just imagine in 5-10 years from now that this tech, with more competition, could drop way down in cost. Imagine if this kit was more like $10k installed and with the option to remove and go back to stock at any time?!?! That would be interesting.... just saying.
Hit the nail on the head. Currently the only way to add power to the NA cars is super- / turbo-charging. As we all know, this utterly tanks the reliability of the NA motors, while still costing in the neighborhood of $10k. If they could market it at a similar price point ... +150hp with the only downsides being a person stowed in the frunk? Game changer.

They need to drive the cost down and make it DIY-able. They state that since it's 400V system, you need special training, etc. C'mon. They're all going to be some type of quick-connectors that only go in one-way anyway. Renegade Hybrids thinks that you can DIY a bloody LS swap; pulling the trans-axle and running some cable is hardly in the same realm.
qikqbn (03-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Future Aftermarket: Bolt on Hybrid systems !!??