Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WARNING: Possible scam on TT for sale. Anybody in Inidanapolis?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 03:20 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

I have purchased several cars sight unseen. They have always been delivered and were exactly as represented. I always have a PPI done, buy from a well known dealer and make sure the money is held in escrow.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:53 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 595 Posts

Buying from an established dealer doesn't mean you won't get lied to, or in the case of a good friend of mine, completely ripped off by Ferrari of Los Gatos. He wanted to get a new 360 spider, back when getting one was near impossible. But he and his family had done a lot of business with them. So much that while he was waiting he gave them his two older Ferraris to sell, and to apply those funds towards the new purchase. Problem is, Ferrari Los Gatos, probably the most well-known Ferrrari dealer in the country if not the world, would go out of business and pocket the money.

Here's a website to peruse.
https://flgstory.com/

I've bought a lot of cars and motorcycles long distance. I am suspicious by nature due to being an owner of a business that has a large number of fraudulent purchase attempts being made. A lot. I could tell you stories that would amaze you.

As to dealer trust, I had a salesman at Porsche Lehi misrepresent the condition of a car. That burst my bubble so I don't automatically trust Porsche dealers either.

I'm going to volunteer to look at any new dealer that signs up with Autotrader. If they allow it. I have the name of one of the fraud dept employees, so I'll ask. If they send me the name, I look at two listings and check prices. If they are TOO LOW like the El Vochito case I'll look further.

I doubt they sign up more than one or two new dealer accounts a week. I can do it in five minutes.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:57 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
Buying from an established dealer doesn't mean you won't get lied to, As to dealer trust, I had a salesman at Porsche Lehi misrepresent the condition of a car. That burst my bubble so I don't automatically trust Porsche dealers either.
Anyone who thinks that buying from a Porsche dealer eliminates the risk of any and all misrepresentation and also eliminates the need for a PPI even if the car is CPO needs to read this story: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-poor-car.html

Not some small town dealership not up to speed on things but the largest volume Porsche dealership in the US......Beverly Hills Porsche. They knew good and well what they were doing. Lucky them that the victim here was a nice guy who's patience I still admire. Picture a firebrand consumer fraud attorney in the same spot and I bet this story would have had a whole different ending.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:30 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Anyone who thinks that buying from a Porsche dealer eliminates the risk of any and all misrepresentation and also eliminates the need for a PPI even if the car is CPO needs to read this story: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-poor-car.html

Not some small town dealership not up to speed on things but the largest volume Porsche dealership in the US......Beverly Hills Porsche. They knew good and well what they were doing. Lucky them that the victim here was a nice guy who's patience I still admire. Picture a firebrand consumer fraud attorney in the same spot and I bet this story would have had a whole different ending.
Yea that's a sad story, and in some ways similar to mine, except Porsche Lehi was close enough where I could make it a fun trip from Utah to So Cal.

I was SO CLEAR with the salesperson about how picky I am. I used the term "diamond" and "In the wrapper" more than once and could not have been more clear. Salesmen are salesmen. It's down to the one guy or gal you're speaking to.

In my business, I tell somebody not to buy something at least a couple times a week if I know it's not going to be in their best interest. Usually, they don't even know why, so I explain it to them. I instruct my salespeople to do the same, and for that reason, they're not on commission. They get paid the same whether the customer buys or not. We may lose THAT sale, but we earn years of loyalty assuming we continue to advocate for THEM.

Quick Reply: WARNING: Possible scam on TT for sale. Anybody in Inidanapolis?