Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering control module replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 02:06 PM
JT77
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

From everything I've read and seen, your 997.2 steering wheel module should be fine. You are correct that you'll need that GPS adapter and enable the MF function via PIWIS. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. I'm really happy with my update.

Originally Posted by scadams
Ok, I plan on doing the 997.2 to 991 GT Sport wheel. Need some help.

What I have:
997.2 Standard Steering Wheel
- PDK
- Heated
- no Multi-function

What I want:
991.2 GT Sport Steering Wheel (360mm)
- PDK (no Compass)
- Heated
- Multi-function

Do I need a new clock spring or just the GPS STMV1-H adapter?

I know MF will need to be enabled with PIWIS. That’s not an issue.

Also, my interior is Sand Beige. What do y’all think? Black steering wheel or stick with a Sand Beige wheel?
Old 02-25-2020, 02:38 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,174 Posts

Originally Posted by JT77
From everything I've read and seen, your 997.2 steering wheel module should be fine. You are correct that you'll need that GPS adapter and enable the MF function via PIWIS. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. I'm really happy with my update.

What I have:
- PDK
- Heated
- no Multi-function

What I want:
- PDK (no Compass)
- Heated
- Multi-function

Also, my interior is Sand Beige. What do y’all think? Black steering wheel or stick with a Sand Beige wheel?
I have the exact same scenario. Original non-MF steering wheel that is heated. PDK car. My intent is just the same as yours - to retain the heating functionality and then to activate the MF capability via software setup.
I believe that the -H suffix relative to the GPS adapter that you've noted correlates to Heating functionality. So far I have not gotten confirmation that the heating functionality will be carried over. (I believe that
Yuan Li - another Rennlist 997 forum member has the answer to that question.)
Old 02-25-2020, 08:52 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
I have the exact same scenario. Original non-MF steering wheel that is heated. PDK car. My intent is just the same as yours - to retain the heating functionality and then to activate the MF capability via software setup.
I believe that the -H suffix relative to the GPS adapter that you've noted correlates to Heating functionality. So far I have not gotten confirmation that the heating functionality will be carried over. (I believe that
Yuan Li - another Rennlist 997 forum member has the answer to that question.)
Yeah, his site is a little confusing about the clock spring. It states in one section that if you're upgrading from the standard wheel to one with multi-function you need the clock spring but when I looked at PET, the only option codes for it are for PDK, Manual, and heating. If our clock spring already is for PDK and heating there's no need to replace it since it's the same part. In the install section it only states you need it if you're gonna add heating. It's not entirely clear as to what is what.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:37 PM
code7rpd
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up replacing my module on my 997.1. I could not find any good tutorials, so I will try to provide a rundown. Basically, once you remove the steering wheel you will see the clock spring attached to the stalk for the levers. You will notice the clock spring has an arrow at the 1:00 pm position. Mark that with a marker all the way up to include on the top cover. Take a few photographs as that arrow needs to be roughly in the same position. It will rotate so use tape to tape the outer ring to the base of the clock spring as shown. The piece is fragile, so be gentle. Remove the three screws on the bottom of the plastic cover below the steering wheel. I believe they are a 10 Torx. They are recessed so you may have fiddle with the tool to get a grip. There are two in front and one in the rear. Once the screws are removed, separate the upper and lower plastic covers. You can spread them fairly wide and remove the assembly without removing the plastic covers.

The next thing you need to do is loosen the Allen bolt under the clock spring assembly. If you look under where the steering wheel was you will see an Allen bolt under the lower cover. Loosen/remove it and then carefully slide the assembly out - there are two electrical connectors on the back you will need to disconnect. You can remove the clock spring first and then the stalk cluster, but I was able to remove them as a unit. Put them on a bench and remove the clock spring. There are three plastic retainers that hold it to the cluster - carefully take screw driver to pry the plastic tabs up a bit to separate.

The next step is to replace the horse shoe shaped module in the back. I thought the module pressed in, but it is actually screwed in. I should have grabbed a photo of the screws, but essentially, you will us a small torx to remove the screws that attach the cluster to the module. The screws you need to remove are dark rather than gold. I removed all of them as I was not sure which ones were needed to remove. It turns out that several screws are long and go through the stalk to the module. You will notice the module has bosses for screws to thread in. It is pretty straight forward once you know the module is screwed in and not pried out.

Remove the module, put the new one in, and screw everything back. I put the stalk back in the car and then put the clock spring on next as it seems easier to fiddle with the electrical plugs that need to be reattached without the clock spring on - I didn't want to take a chance in bumping it. Once the stalk is in you can put the clock spring on and line up the arrow to the mark you made. Tighten up the Allen screw on the bottom and then tighten the upper to lower covers with the torx screws. Once done, you can put the new steering wheel on and you are done!

Last edited by code7rpd; 02-29-2020 at 09:39 PM. Reason: typo
The following 2 users liked this post by code7rpd:
myw (03-03-2020), Slngshot (03-10-2021)
Old 03-03-2020, 03:02 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

JT77 is 100% correct.

if your car is an 09 it has the correct module - you need to have the module programmed to MULTIFUNCTION on - in the steering module. The gateway module, 'malfunction steering setting may also need enabling as well. the horn will work.

you will know either way the second you plug in a durametric/foxwell since the part number for the module will show up.

Originally Posted by JT77
I don’t think the steering module will do anything since you’re staying with a 997.2 wheel for your 997.2 car (the module should be the same).

Suggest having a look at the settings via Durametric, foxwell, or PIWIS to see if you need to enable the horn.
Originally Posted by michaelmoo22
I’m replacing my Triangle bag wheel on my 09 997.2 (Manual Trans). I’ve ready dozens and dozens of threads about changing it. But I’m stuck with part of it. I need to change my steering control module (at least I've read I need to upgrade it to the later one). I’ve read a few threads on it, but still having issues removing it. Its like it’s stuck and wont budge. I’ve also looked for posts on removing the turn signal stalks. Which is turning up goose eggs.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, advice for changing the steering control module?
The following users liked this post:
PatrickBateman (12-25-2023)
Old 03-03-2020, 03:05 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 571 Likes on 340 Posts

you will need the gps adapter + some programming done.

the programming required will be in the STEERING wheel module
- MULTIFUNCTION WHEEL (enable)
- the HEATED STEERING WHEEL (should already be enabled since its working as is) - make sure your heated module element on the steering wheel is plugged in correctly during the install.

black steering wheel will look good imo. the black wheel matches with almost anything - esp the 997.2 with the black pcm.

What I have:
- PDK
- Heated
- no Multi-function

What I want:
- PDK (no Compass)
- Heated
- Multi-function

The following 2 users liked this post by myw:
Ironman88 (03-03-2020), scadams (03-03-2020)
Old 02-23-2021, 05:08 PM
Blue2gnt
AutoX

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by code7rpd
Appreciate your post above as I'm working on the same project at the moment - replacing 2009 Turbo 6MT triangle MF wheel with a 991 style MF wheel. I've added some photos that detail a couple of the things you talked about.

I've swapped everything over (last photo) and installed the GPS Adapter but MF buttons no longer worked. I tested the harness coming from the column to the steering wheel with a meter and found that pins 11 and 12 (the pins that the GPSadapter is powered from) aren't putting out any voltage, so I tore some more stuff down and found that my '09 has the '08 steering module (997.613.297.02). I have a 997.613.289.01 on order and assuming based on previous posts on this topic that this is the missing link to getting voltage to the adapter and having the MF buttons functional. I believe a trip to a shop with PIWIS is also going to be required to enable MF in the new module. My MF buttons worked on my 997 wheel with aftermarket head unit but I believe this coding is stored in the actual steering module rather than elsewhere in the car.

1) To add some clarity on removing the clock spring, there are three retaining clips as you noted, but on mine you can see the clip at the 6 o'clock position was broken.
2) Once you have the entire column assembly out of the car, separating the steering module from the assembly is done by removing five T8 torx screws (marked with yellow circles in the photo below). You don't need to remove any more than these five screws, which will help keep the rest of the assembly together while you replace the module.

The rest of the disassembly and reassembly is pretty straightforward, but I thought this post may help someone down the road.

back side of clock spring assembly, showing the three clips at the 2, 6 and 10 o'clock positions.

broken bottom clip for the clock assembly.

the five locations of screws holding the module to the assembly. This is the side facing you when the assembly is in the car

Five T8 torx screws that need to be removed to separate the module from the column assembly

The new wheel and airbag installed, just waiting on the new steering module to arrive to pull it all apart again and (hopefully) get the MF buttons working

Last edited by Blue2gnt; 02-23-2021 at 05:11 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Blue2gnt:
myw (03-04-2021), Rdsawyer35 (12-28-2022), Slngshot (03-10-2021), TAXFREE (03-10-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 05:24 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 300 Posts

Another 997.2 6MT owner here looking to replace his non-mf triangle airbag sw. Seems like the manual transmission 2009s with the carryover 2008 wheels are real question mark here in regards to the modules.

I have a 991.2 GT sw on order and am hoping simply turning the mf "on" with my foxwell will do the trick. Hoping it will be that easy given the new wheel is non-mf, non button clad wheel as well. Really don't want to have to swap over a new module.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:02 PM
Blue2gnt
AutoX

Update: Even with the new 997.613.289.01 steering control module I do not have MF controls, so looks like it has to be coded in PIWIS even though the MF worked with the old wheel. Hopefully this is the final step to this process!

Last edited by Blue2gnt; 02-24-2021 at 09:10 PM.
PatrickBateman (12-25-2023)
Old 02-24-2021, 11:42 PM
code7rpd
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you turn the feature on via Foxwell or the factory device - PIWIS?
Old 02-25-2021, 12:36 PM
Blue2gnt
AutoX

Originally Posted by code7rpd
Did you turn the feature on via Foxwell or the factory device - PIWIS?
No, too much snow to take the car out so hoping for some clear roads next week. MF worked on the old wheel and old module so I am really confused about why a new module was even needed, and why the car needs MF activated again when it had it before. Will update the post once the dealer takes a shot with the PIWIS.

UPDATE: Dealer coded the new module and MF is all working correctly. Well, most of it is - the volume and track skip rollers work, I don't believe the diamond button or phone buttons are expected to work, nor do I care if they do so. Apparently all of the functionality of the steering module is stored within the module itself, rather than elsewhere in the car's computer, so until the module is coded with PIWIS the pins on the module literally don't carry current. This is why MF worked before but stopped working when I changed modules but didn't change anything else. Took the dealer about 40 minutes to program it, the first indy I went to couldn't even get the car to connect to PIWIS because their PIWIS system had just done an update through Windows 10 that broke the software.

I don't know for sure that the dealer would have been unable to make the old module (997.613.297.02) work. I suspect it would not have, but there is very little actual experience noted online about this particular module. I wasn't willing to pay them to try and code that one just to potentially save $400 on the new module, because I'd already installed the new one and its a non-returnable part anyway. Total price for my complete wheel swap with all modules, adapters, trim pieces, programming, etc: $2996.18 ...but it looks awesome, and I have a stack of old OE parts I can maybe sell (old steering control module, OE stripped 991/Macan steering wheel wrapped in Nappa leather, one complete OE 2009 silver/blue wheel with blue triangle airbag, rear 991/Macan steering wheel cap, 991/Macan paddle shifters).

Last edited by Blue2gnt; 03-02-2021 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:55 PM
Blue2gnt
AutoX

Well...I spoke too soon. The MF buttons on the wheel worked yesterday when I left the dealer and today they don't work at all. This "simple" steering wheel upgrade has become the biggest pain in the *** car mod I've ever done on a vehicle. Has anyone ever heard of a new steering control module "losing" it's programming setting a day after being coded? I don't know what else the issue could be if it isn't related to this. No reason it should work one day and not the next.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:54 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue2gnt
Well...I spoke too soon. The MF buttons on the wheel worked yesterday when I left the dealer and today they don't work at all. This "simple" steering wheel upgrade has become the biggest pain in the *** car mod I've ever done on a vehicle. Has anyone ever heard of a new steering control module "losing" it's programming setting a day after being coded? I don't know what else the issue could be if it isn't related to this. No reason it should work one day and not the next.
I'm about to head down this rocky road too.
My Car 08-09 997.2 C2S with 6MT
My existing wheel, round airbag, no controls whatsoever.

Projected Setup: 991.2 Sport GT wheel without heat, but with Multi Function.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:12 AM
Slngshot
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

thank goodness I stumbled across this thread.
987.1 tiptronic triangle wheel going to a 997.1 round airbag with PDK paddles and the module to be coded with my foxwell.

Still 3 feet of snow on the ground, but hopefully gone soon enough to get this done.
thanks to the guys who contributed the great write up's and photos.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:15 AM
Slngshot
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

new hotness replaces the dog that came with the car.
woof!
myw (03-15-2021)

Quick Reply: steering control module replacement?