Sponsored by:

Difficult start when warm...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 10:51 AM
Jestercela
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficult start when warm...

Lately I'm starting to experience some starting difficulties on my 07 997.1 C2S. When the car is completely cold, it starts right up. However, if I start the car after parking for a duration between 10min to 3hrs, the car would typically refuse to start on the 1st attempt and shows any one or a combination of the following:
1: demand to have the clutch depressed (Obviously even when it's fully depressed!)
2: it would measure the oil levels of the engine
3: starter would not even crank

On my last service, which was about 4months ago, my mechanic did warn that the starter seem to be on the way out so I'm ready to get a new starter but wanted to make sure if there's anything else that I need to look into....

Thanks again in advance for all your inputs.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:14 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Very common issue: It is either the alternator cable or the starter or both.

I would go with the starter first as it is easier to replace than the cable and your car being a 2007 probably has the right alternator cable (I am ruling out the battery as you should check it first).

For your reading pleasure:

http://murenae.com/cars-porsche-2/

You will find descriptions and instructions to do both jobs.

Yves
The following users liked this post:
anewman (02-04-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 11:17 AM
Jestercela
Track Day

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Very common issue: It is either the alternator cable or the starter or both.

I would go with the starter first as it is easier to replace than the cable and your car being a 2007 probably has the right alternator cable (I am ruling out the battery as you should check it first).

For your reading pleasure:

http://murenae.com/cars-porsche-2/

You will find descriptions and instructions to do both jobs.

Yves
Thank you. Indeed battery was replaced 6 months ago. So it does looks like the starter. :-)
Old 02-04-2020, 11:50 AM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Jestercela
Thank you. Indeed battery was replaced 6 months ago. So it does looks like the starter. :-)
Very common issue and a job that I need to do myself here soon
Old 02-04-2020, 12:00 PM
UnoMas
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Starter

I had a little drag on mine so I replaced with a new Bosch. Night and day.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:46 PM
Jestercela
Track Day

Actually while I'm at it, as for the starter (Starter Motor), should I stick w/ factory unit or are there better alternatives? I looked at design 911 and they only offered Hella or Dansk...
Old 02-04-2020, 04:54 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Go for Bosch. No substitute. I tried a cheap Mexican version ..... it lasted 14 months.

Yves
Old 02-04-2020, 11:09 PM
Jestercela
Track Day

Tx all. Hopefully one last question: which bosch?

On PelicanParts, after specifying my car, being a 2007 997.1 3.8 model, I got a total of 3 listings:
1: SR-0808 N-M-114 USD$140
2: SR-0430-X-INT USD$204 I believe this is re-manufactured
3: SR-0808-N-M-14 USD$329

Which ones have you guys been buying?
Old 02-05-2020, 08:27 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,594 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Your symptoms do not point to either the starter or the battery.

Your clutch switch is going bad and why the starter doesn't do anything and why you get the "depress clutch pedal message" and the oil check initiates. It's the exact same thing you'd see if you turned the key with your foot completely off the clutch like to check the oil level.

There are two clutch switches - one that installs on the pedal (90 degree turn and pulls out) and a higher one that's further up. It's this higher one that's tied into the clutch pedal having to be depressed for the starter to initialize.

It's possible that your harness and or your starter need to be replaced too, but neither of those results in that message being displayed - you'd get a very slow crank with those issues, not a no crank.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:33 AM
Jestercela
Track Day

Originally Posted by Petza914
Your symptoms do not point to either the starter or the battery.

Your clutch switch is going bad and why the starter doesn't do anything and why you get the "depress clutch pedal message" and the oil check initiates. It's the exact same thing you'd see if you turned the key with your foot completely off the clutch like to check the oil level.

There are two clutch switches - one that installs on the pedal (90 degree turn and pulls out) and a higher one that's further up. It's this higher one that's tied into the clutch pedal having to be depressed for the starter to initialize.

It's possible that your harness and or your starter need to be replaced too, but neither of those results in that message being displayed - you'd get a very slow crank with those issues, not a no crank.
Thank you. I shall look into that as well. Is this the right part?

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...0&SVSVSI=16704

Last edited by Jestercela; 02-05-2020 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:37 PM
Paularisrmk
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem. Replaced they generic starter with a Bosch and everything is good now.
The following users liked this post:
yvesvidal (07-21-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 11:04 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Jestercela
Lately I'm starting to experience some starting difficulties on my 07 997.1 C2S. When the car is completely cold, it starts right up. However, if I start the car after parking for a duration between 10min to 3hrs, the car would typically refuse to start on the 1st attempt and shows any one or a combination of the following:
1: demand to have the clutch depressed (Obviously even when it's fully depressed!)
2: it would measure the oil levels of the engine
3: starter would not even crank

On my last service, which was about 4months ago, my mechanic did warn that the starter seem to be on the way out so I'm ready to get a new starter but wanted to make sure if there's anything else that I need to look into....

Thanks again in advance for all your inputs.
It may not necessarily be either the alternator cable or alternator. Have a reputable company do several tests. Check the battery output. Check the lines. Check the alternator output. Sadly, it seems to be a fairly common issue with the 997.1 cars. Despite a new factory alternator, factory battery and newly installed factory alternator line, even my other mechanic sensed the cranking was weak. Yet, when he checked everything, it reported as fine. It’s not necessarily the simple stuff.

Quick Reply: Difficult start when warm...