GT3 shifter or SSK?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 09:27 PM
LucV
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default GT3 shifter or SSK?

2006 C2S.

I know there are several threads about this around here and on the web but I'd like to hear about those who installed the GT3 shifter.

I'm aware that throws are not shorter than the base shifter and it's basically the same shifter with metal bushings but I'm looking to make the shifter smoother and more precise, not necessarily make it shorter.

I'm also aware that I could just change the bushings but since the shifter is 15 years old I prefer changing the whole thing and keep the original one in case I change my mind or sell the car.

I also prefer to use OEM parts. Would the GT3 shifter the way to go?

is the SSK better? I don't want to stress about shifting in 1st instead of 3rd and do money shifts.

Thanks!

Last edited by LucV; 07-14-2021 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:42 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 414 Posts

The OEM Sport Shifter is not SSK, but a shortened lever with a spring for returning the lever to neutral. It feels nice and is better than stock, IMO. The GT3 shifter feels more solid due to the better bushings, but not sure how much of an effect it will have with the C2S transmission. The GT3 transmission is different and in combination with the GT3 shifter, feels more precise and heavy than a C2S. Another option is to buy the Function First Shift Right kit, which replaces all the plastic bushings with metal bushings in the stock shift carrier. Effectively the same thing as the GT3 shifter. In addition, you can swap in the SSK mechanism from an aftermarket company like Schnell (https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PELSSS1.htm) or B&M. That is what I will be doing on my car.

Old 07-14-2021, 11:25 PM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 105 Posts

I did OEM 997 Short Shifter, then Function First Shift Right kit and finally the icing on the cake (and something that completely took the slop out of the shifter) was the Function First cable ends.
Then I added the little weights that go inside the shifter.
Absolute shifting nirvana.
Couldn't be better for road and track use.
Still so smooth and OEM like but tight and predictable.
No need for Numeric rifle bolt shifter action here.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:24 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 754 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
The OEM Sport Shifter is not SSK, but a shortened lever with a spring for returning the lever to neutral. It feels nice and is better than stock, IMO. The GT3 shifter feels more solid due to the better bushings, but not sure how much of an effect it will have with the C2S transmission. The GT3 transmission is different and in combination with the GT3 shifter, feels more precise and heavy than a C2S. Another option is to buy the Function First Shift Right kit, which replaces all the plastic bushings with metal bushings in the stock shift carrier. Effectively the same thing as the GT3 shifter. In addition, you can swap in the SSK mechanism from an aftermarket company like Schnell (https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PELSSS1.htm) or B&M. That is what I will be doing on my car.

You should try out a car with the B&M shifter before doing the swap IMO. I tried a friend’s after he put in a B&M shifter and I didn’t like it. Yeah, the shifting is shorter, but it was also notchy and you had to concentrate more when shifting. No longer smooth and easy. I tried another friend’s OEM SSK on his 997 and it was nice and smooth. Much better IMO.

Last edited by Carreralicious; 07-15-2021 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:12 AM
PowderJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 163 Posts

I recently moved to the Numeric SSK and FF metal cable ends. I didn't mind the OEM shifter but I hated the throws it felt like shifting a semi truck with really long throws. I have been a fan of my new setup the Numeric shifter is fully adjustable from a height and throw perspective and feels really tight while shifting. I kind of wish I had done 1 change then the second so I could better speak to the difference they each provided but combined its been great. The guys at the shop who installed it were also really impressed with the numeric system. That gave me confidence since they also build Porsche's for serious racing events (or used to, one cannonball run 2x).
Old 07-15-2021, 02:13 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 222 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by PowderJunkie
I recently moved to the Numeric SSK and FF metal cable ends. I didn't mind the OEM shifter but I hated the throws it felt like shifting a semi truck with really long throws. I have been a fan of my new setup the Numeric shifter is fully adjustable from a height and throw perspective and feels really tight while shifting. I kind of wish I had done 1 change then the second so I could better speak to the difference they each provided but combined its been great. The guys at the shop who installed it were also really impressed with the numeric system. That gave me confidence since they also build Porsche's for serious racing events (or used to, one cannonball run 2x).
Awesome!

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 07-15-2021, 03:59 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 108 Posts

I have just installed an used factory SSK (56K miles) with new metal bushing (Phenix bushing) on my car, replacing a low mileage (26K miles) standard shifter assembly that still felt nice. First let's try to define the "feel" of gear shifting so we can examine what would work better for you. The positive, or crisp feeling of shifting gear is felt at the end of shift action, when the shift stops after gear engagement. The notchiness is the effort of getting into the gear, and it could be in between crunchy to smooth. We are not getting into the subject of "slackness" this time because the OP is interested only in new OEM shifters. My friend has an 08 GT3 with about the same mileage as mine and I can attest that the slack between our original un-modified stock shifter is comparable.

To improve the positive feel, you can do the following:
1. Change to aftermarket shift ****. Our OEM shift **** has a silicon dampener wrapped around the metal shift rod that isolate the mechanical impact of gear change. This will make a huge difference by itself. ($$)
2. Change the shift bushing. OEM bushing has a delrin cup nestled in a rubber surround that isolate the mechanical impact. OEM GT3 is a metal bushing (no rubber) but has a delrin cup inside to lessen wear and adds a bit of insulation. Phenix bushing is a solid piece of aluminum bushing so the shifting feel should feel more positive than the GT3. ($)
3. Change shift cables ($$$$ if professionally installed)
4. Align shifter cables (1/4 $)
5. Add Function First's Shift Right metal Kit ($$$)
6. Numeric shifter ($$$$$)
7. OEM GT3 ($$$$)

You said that your primary objective is preciseness and smoothness and not shortness of shift. The OEM SSK really doesn't make that much difference in throw to be honest, but will add some notchness into your shifting, so I guess the GT3 shifter would be better for you.
The cheapest way to see if GT3 would work for you is to get the Phenix bushing for $70 and put it into your existing shifter. You'll still have a little slack from other aging components but the shifting should be more "positive". If you don't want to mess with this twice, then just do the GT3 and be done with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by speedracerf4i:
Ekunimura (05-24-2024), oalvarez (06-23-2023)
Old 07-15-2021, 04:10 PM
LucV
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks all! I'll check your suggestions but at the moment I think I'll go with the GT3 shifter. However, I think my engine mounts needs to be replaced so I assume I need to do that first to make a real difference?

Is the 24.04.2006 number refers to the date of production? If so, is it safe to assume those were never or at least not recently changed?

Old 07-22-2021, 10:14 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Get "Ben's Shifter" and sidelink. Awesome and very reasonable.
https://www.uniwerksdesign.com/produ...short-shifter/
Old 07-22-2021, 10:33 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,013 Posts

I just today picked up my 996.2 4s having replaced the stock shifter with the 997 GT3 shifter. Clearly smoother shifts without any slop. Previous oem shifter was always a little stubborn between 2nd and 3rd, especially through hard curves.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:18 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 390 Posts

My 06 C2 was ordered with the optional GT3 shifter therefore I have nothing to compare it to but like Optionman said no slop and I'm at 58000. Feels tight as new.

Quick Reply: GT3 shifter or SSK?