Sponsored by:

First Porsche - High Mileage 997 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 11:53 AM
NewbiePorscheGuy
AutoX

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default First Porsche - High Mileage 997 Questions

So I'm looking at a 2007 911 Carerra S, and even though I have driven a number of 911 variants, I have yet to own one. I have searched some of the forums and Googled basic info on older 911's and it's been helpful, but my specific question relates to PPI/service records. The dealer selling the 911 (102k miles, looks mint) has recent service records they sent me, looks like it's been well cared for, clutch done not long ago...so I am wondering if it's still worth getting a PPI. Meaning, are there certain items at 100K plus I should be concerned about (thinking the IMS bearing less relevant at these miles and year?) that general "service" may not have addrerssed and does anyone own a 100K mile 997 that may have some thoughts, advice?

Thank you!

**Realized I posted in wrong Forum area. Trying to move**

Last edited by NewbiePorscheGuy; 12-28-2019 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Wrong Forum
The following users liked this post:
Lateralgrip (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 02:30 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 796 Likes on 447 Posts

I have gotten PPIs on $2500 Civics, so...yeah. That is just me though. I want to know what I am working with. On the flipside, I also sold an 85 civic hatch in 05 and did my own PPI on it, so I could know what I was selling and represent it 100% honestly. I did a PPI on my own EVO before I sold it as well, just to be sure.

Every used car I have bought, including ones from independent dealers, have gotten PPIs. The only time I did not do a PPI was when I got a CPO lease return Audi that had a PPI done by the dealer but it had a warranty with the dealer CPO. Within a week, I decided to have an independent PPI done because certain things about the car seemed a bit off. The car ended up being at the Audi dealer for a week while I drove a loaner. They did thousands of dollars worth of work off the independent PPI. The car ended up being back for warranty work 3 more times before the CPO warranty ran out. After my CPO warranty ran out, I never went back to that dealer even though they are huge in my city and also sell other brands I like.

When I got my current 997, the original dealer had done a PPI a year prior when the seller decided to sell it. Then, the consignment dealer did a PPI on it for their intake 4 months before I made an offer. I still had the car flatbedded over 20 miles away to my preferred independent mechanic to have another thorough Porsche specific PPI done. Once the car passed my Independent's PPI, I asked the consigner to just let it sit there while we did the paperwork and then I caught a ride out to the car, which was 2 miles from my house at that point, so it was less of a hassle. I do not regret doing that in the slightest even though it took a couple days to make it happen.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:06 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

+1

Definitely get a PPI from a reputable indy. Spend the money to do it right and you will have a hell of a bargain on your hand. Do it wrong and you will be that guy that bought the 100k sports car without without a PPI and had the engine blow up on him driving out of the lot .

As long as you are handy and dont mind picking up a wrench I would have zero concerns about buying a high mile 997.1. Check out the buyers guide for PPI recommendations on the typical maintenance items you will want to keep an eye out for, including:

- strut mounts (knocking when going over bumps)
- water pump
- expansion tank cracks
- starter alternator cable (slow crank when hot)
- etc

If these are mentioned in the service records then you have a double score.

Good luck and send us some pics.

Old 12-28-2019, 03:34 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 390 Posts

With all the bore scoring issues brought up lately I'd pay a reputable shop to scope the cylinders at that mileage.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:34 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Reiterate whats been said, get a PPI!
Old 12-28-2019, 04:46 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Service records certainly are valuable of course and illuminate some of the history of that particular vehicle. Knowing what others have experienced with their 997's is also certainly valuable as it conveys what you possibly could have to deal with going forward.

A PPI focuses on the current "here and now" condition of that particular car. You absolutely should get this done - especially given its higher mileage. Don't allow your first Porsche ownership experience to be a bad one.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:55 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

Pull a CarFax and make sure its a clean title, Watch for potential flood cars. Because it's an S, when getting the PPI, pay for the bore scope. It will be more expensive because they will have to pull the spark plugs, but you want to know. Ask to see the pictures, don't take their word. If the PPI is clean and the bores are good, you can have quite a good deal on your hands. The 07's have the larger IMS bearing and failures rates are very low for that bearing, so if it made it to 100k, it's probably good to go.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:42 PM
apperception
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I may be selling a very nice one soon

I'm the guy who started the OUCH thread about a month ago after some butthead backed his F 150 into mine at 3 MPH. It's now at the best shop in Atlanta. I have owned it for 4.5 years and it has been great and trouble free. I have always used GoldCrest Motorsports, except the one time I used the dealer. It's got 106K miles, uses one quart between oil changes. In addition to being hard loaded and a nice combo of Seal over Cocoa full leather, it's got the full Fabspeed intake and exhaust as well as a very well installed upgraded stereo (Head unit, amp, speakers, subs, backup camera, Carplay), brand new rotors, pads, and tires. Anyone want to weigh in on what my car may be worth?

Larry in Georgia
Old 12-28-2019, 06:00 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

As a buyer/owner of several 996 cars and higher mileage 997's, I would have no issue buying a 102K mile car provided the price was right and you have done due diligence.
We all get excited about Porsche ownership, however at some point and maybe sooner than later, you will want a lower mileage example or newer example. Maybe even newer model.
So performing due diligence prior to purchase will save your *** time and headache when you sell.
Get a PPI, do Carfax report and make sure all necessary wear items have been replaced or at least in good working order.
If not, a good PPI will help negotiate a lower price so you can get these wear items replaced.
Having this documentation in your files will put your mind at ease and result in easier sale when the time comes.
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 12-28-2019, 07:10 PM
Lateralgrip
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey NPG!! I too am new to the P world as I bought a 05 911 C2S with 84k miles 1 month ago. If you can inspect the car yourself and are handy with a wrench, I personally would forgo the PPI. However, if you can not physically touch the car, most certainly have the PPI done. Even after an nspection when I got the car I found more than the inspector but all minor issues. I am slowly restoring the car to my standard. 84k miles and the care runs strong. My research showed strong reliability with the 997 and my buddy a P service tech also encouraged me too save the money from a 997.2 and get a 997.1. Glad I did as easily it is about 5-10k more for a comparable 997.2. Currently fixed the slow seat belts, broken drive seat interior trim piece, cleaned polished head lights, PDR door dings and in the process of replacing the strut mounts. I am impressed with the car. I would do it all over again in a heart beat.

Originally Posted by NewbiePorscheGuy
So I'm looking at a 2007 911 Carerra S, and even though I have driven a number of 911 variants, I have yet to own one. I have searched some of the forums and Googled basic info on older 911's and it's been helpful, but my specific question relates to PPI/service records. The dealer selling the 911 (102k miles, looks mint) has recent service records they sent me, looks like it's been well cared for, clutch done not long ago...so I am wondering if it's still worth getting a PPI. Meaning, are there certain items at 100K plus I should be concerned about (thinking the IMS bearing less relevant at these miles and year?) that general "service" may not have addrerssed and does anyone own a 100K mile 997 that may have some thoughts, advice?

Thank you!

**Realized I posted in wrong Forum area. Trying to move**
Old 12-28-2019, 10:34 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,519 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Khloesdad
With all the bore scoring issues brought up lately I'd pay a reputable shop to scope the cylinders at that mileage.
Not to scare the OP but Jake Raby's recent comment on why this is important is a worthwhile read:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post16310048

Since this is the OP's first post Jake is one of the leading experts on these engines in the US if you aren't familiar with him.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:05 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

100% PPI mine saved me 2x what I spent on the PPI.
Old 01-21-2023, 10:52 AM
Gumdoc
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Ok. Rational brain prevailed…getting it done.
Old 01-21-2023, 12:22 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Gumdoc
Ok. Rational brain prevailed…getting it done.
Even if the car only has 10k miles, it's a 6 year old car now.

I would request to get any / all service records for the car. Any service that is said to have been done, but is not documented, should be regarded as not being done.

Knowing what has been done on the car will help you chart your course going forward.

If the service records don't matter much to you, they most likely will to the person who eventually purchases this car from you.