Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best AFFORDABLE Exhaust for Base 997?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 02:09 AM
Alexthager
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best AFFORDABLE Exhaust for Base 997?

Howdy!

Newer to this forum and have done some reading on exhaust options for the base 3.6L 911 (997). I've heard great things about the Gundo/Fister mods, but wanted to hear more personal narratives and experiences. From the YouTube videos I watch, it really doesn't seem like there's anything that seems that enticing. I'm sure YouTube doesn't do these systems justice, but I haven't been wow'd yet. I don't have the budget for crazy titanium exhaust, but also don't want my 911 sounding like a slammed Civic haha.

I don't expect my base 997 to sound like a Ferrari, but I'd love to find some cheap solution to add some grit to the exhaust on my vehicle, as I absolutely car, but not the lamed muted tunes that come from the pipes.

Would love to hear your thoughts, and maybe some audio/video examples would be awesome.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 12-19-2019, 02:22 AM
speed2th
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

there is no way the 911 will sounds like a honda. I recommend you go to a car meet to check out people's set up in person. Personally i have fabspeed maxflo and i thought it is loud but some think it is not loud at all.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:31 AM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Is your car a 997.1 or 997.2?

The number of people who don't like the Gundo/Fister mod are very few. Pretty much everyone loves them.
1.75" is the sweet spot for the bypass pipe diameter - that's what I had in my previous 997.1
I've had the Fabspeed Maxflo muffler on my old 996 - that was nice too, although louder and more expensive than the Gundo/Fister mod.

BTW, if you have a 997.2, then just the Gundo/Fister mod won't do much - you may need to replace/mod the center muffler as well (not just the end mufflers).

I suggest meeting some local P-car folks and listening in person before making a judgement.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:58 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexthager
Howdy!

Newer to this forum and have done some reading on exhaust options for the base 3.6L 911 (997). I've heard great things about the Gundo/Fister mods, but wanted to hear more personal narratives and experiences. From the YouTube videos I watch, it really doesn't seem like there's anything that seems that enticing. I'm sure YouTube doesn't do these systems justice, but I haven't been wow'd yet. I don't have the budget for crazy titanium exhaust, but also don't want my 911 sounding like a slammed Civic haha.

I don't expect my base 997 to sound like a Ferrari, but I'd love to find some cheap solution to add some grit to the exhaust on my vehicle, as I absolutely car, but not the lamed muted tunes that come from the pipes.

Would love to hear your thoughts, and maybe some audio/video examples would be awesome.

Thanks for all your help!
Right. You Tube isn't the way to go in terms of deciding which exhaust sound you like the best. You really need hear them in person which becomes a tall order if you want to hear them all. If budget is the top priority then Fister or the Gundo hack can't be beat. That said, you're not stating if you have a 997.1 or a 997.2. Big difference since many are happy with the Gundo or Fister solutions on the .1 cars but with the .2 cars you can get the same Gundo or Fister cans but still have the restrictive center muffler to deal with which to some basically makes the car sound almost the same even with the Gundo or Fister mods.

I'm a big fan of Tubi for the 997's (no affiliation). http://www.championmotorsport.com/Se...show=10&page=4

I've had them on both a 997.1 and a 997.2 and both sounded amazing. The 997.2 version includes x-over pipes which does away with the useless center muffler. Neither system is that expensive either. All said, my opinion only. You'll get plenty of others

Last edited by sandwedge; 12-19-2019 at 03:20 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:06 AM
Alexthager
AutoX

Thanks for all the replies. It's an 06, so a 997.1

It sounds like a resounding answer might be to go with Gundo / Fister. I talked to a local muffler shop a couple weeks ago, and they said they'd be willing to work on it. What should I tell them if that's the case?
Old 12-19-2019, 09:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

There should be a number of threads you can find here that show the original way a Gundo hack was done to the mufflers, and then there have also been some modified hacks done as well. I think some of them show pretty detailed photos of where things were cut and how connecting pipes were route, etc. Personally, I have the complete Fabspeed setup and love it (valved mufflers, equal length long-tube headers, 200 cell X-cats) but that's expensive if you're working from a bang for the buck budget. My wife's S has the Gundo hack and sounds really good. My car sounds higher pitched and more like a race car. Hers is deeper and she gets some nice cracks and pops too.

Here's a quick drive by with rev video of my setup

Old 12-19-2019, 11:15 AM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Also, not to hijack, but how much weight can you lose by changing things up back there relatively inexpensively. I currently have the Gundo hack on my 3.6 base as well as helmholtz (which also adds a little sound ), and I am good with it. But, the best sounds on these cars come in at 5k+ RPM with that combo when you down shift; sounds (and feels) like a jet taking off all of a sudden -it awakens the people in the cars around you lol.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:36 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

A friend of mine just got the Tubi exhaust system and I was blown away by how good it sounds. Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:01 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

PSE or Tubi
Old 12-19-2019, 02:58 PM
Alexthager
AutoX

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like Gundo is really hard to beat for the price. I know there are countless instructions online, but do any of you have a resource you recommend that I could show my muffler shop and make it really easy for them to understand? I appreciate all the help – excited to hear what it sounds like.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:23 PM
93Jaffe
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I recently had a gundo hack on my .2 and it really changed the experience for me. I can honestly say its the best 60$ I've spent in my life. I would start there and if you want more sound/depth look for a center bypass.

There are many pictures online showing the before and after. Find a shop with good reviews and they will have no issue working from one of the pictures.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:24 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Gundo hack is the most affordable one since it's just someone welding those pipes on. Next up is the Fister which costs a little more but for me, has the convenience of taking off the old mufflers and bolting on the new ones right away and no downtime waiting for welding to be done.

I originally was going to be frugal and get Fisters with no coating but then decided on the ceramic coating add-on to help keep heat out of the engine bay.... fan didn't kick on once this summer after shut off and I live in Arizona. Very happy with the decision and the tone of the exhaust.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:19 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,270 Likes on 1,189 Posts

Originally Posted by mujeriega
Gundo hack is the most affordable one since it's just someone welding those pipes on. Next up is the Fister which costs a little more but for me, has the convenience of taking off the old mufflers and bolting on the new ones right away and no downtime waiting for welding to be done.

I originally was going to be frugal and get Fisters with no coating but then decided on the ceramic coating add-on to help keep heat out of the engine bay.... fan didn't kick on once this summer after shut off and I live in Arizona. Very happy with the decision and the tone of the exhaust.
Are you still running with the OEM center muffler?
Old 12-19-2019, 09:43 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

another vote for tubi
Old 12-20-2019, 12:37 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexthager
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like Gundo is really hard to beat for the price. I know there are countless instructions online, but do any of you have a resource you recommend that I could show my muffler shop and make it really easy for them to understand? I appreciate all the help – excited to hear what it sounds like.
All kinds of pictures here: https://www.google.com/search?q=Gund...sAQILg#imgrc=_

Quick Reply: Best AFFORDABLE Exhaust for Base 997?