Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 08:45 PM
JohnyPorsche1976
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch calibration data lost

HI,

Thank You very much for Your perfect info about PDK. Please can You help me? I have other problem. After change clutch oil with filling procedure by LAUNCH x431V5 on Porsche 997.2 year 2009 have fault coce P1871 Data record for clutch calibration invalid. Not possible to clear. :-( Not possible to learn Clutch ( if i started this procedure, after 20 seconds is ended by ECU :-( Car is not move :-( If I put the car on lift, wheel i free, put R or D or 1.st, wheel always slowly rotate to rear direction. On P wheel stoped. I am crazy from this. After change oil was all ok, car operate normaly. But i wont to check right oil level by diagnostic and kill my car :-( porsche dealer tell me replace PDK with unreal price :-( I mean so is it bad idea to change comlete gear box, because the car operate normaly one day ago, arrive myself, not neet push on lift. And then i checked oil level and change car battery yet and car show me message Transmission emergency run and the fault code and not possible to go out from lift :-( Thank You for Your help.

P.S. so sorry for my very bad English....

Old 05-08-2021, 12:07 AM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnyPorsche1976
HI,

Thank You very much for Your perfect info about PDK. Please can You help me? I have other problem. After change clutch oil with filling procedure by LAUNCH x431V5 on Porsche 997.2 year 2009 have fault coce P1871 Data record for clutch calibration invalid. Not possible to clear. :-( Not possible to learn Clutch ( if i started this procedure, after 20 seconds is ended by ECU :-( Car is not move :-( If I put the car on lift, wheel i free, put R or D or 1.st, wheel always slowly rotate to rear direction. On P wheel stoped. I am crazy from this. After change oil was all ok, car operate normaly. But i wont to check right oil level by diagnostic and kill my car :-( porsche dealer tell me replace PDK with unreal price :-( I mean so is it bad idea to change comlete gear box, because the car operate normaly one day ago, arrive myself, not neet push on lift. And then i checked oil level and change car battery yet and car show me message Transmission emergency run and the fault code and not possible to go out from lift :-( Thank You for Your help.

P.S. so sorry for my very bad English....

You might need to use piwis and choose the option where you replaced the part.

The following users liked this post:
JohnyPorsche1976 (05-08-2021)
Old 05-13-2021, 01:27 AM
ksta87
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t-design
Two cars on the road successfully, sensor designed from scratch works, and so T-Design is very excited about this project. We are putting up a webpage right now, so customers interested in repairing their PDKs with 17xx error - can buy a sensor instead of buying new transmission!

First customers may get a discount in exchange for honest reviews.

This sensor will work for Porsche / ZF transmissions 7DT45 7DT70 7DT75 . That's 2009+ 911 / Boxster / Cayman

T-Design9.com is a US company, designing and making things for Porsche cars. We are in business since 2013, and also Rennlist sponsor for many years. T-Design is usually known for Memory Modules and phone mounts, but now we go further...

More info at http://t-design9.com/porsche_PDK_displacement_distance_gear_position_sensor.html

can you pm me with more info?
Thanks
Old 05-22-2021, 01:35 AM
Niklas Vemdal
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replace shift rod sensor

I have the 1733 faultcode, shift rod sensor 3 failure. I have ordered a new from t-design and my aim is to change it by myself. Anyone else who are in the same situation and want to share experiences on the journey to get a working PDK? I will start dismount the transmission during the weekend and I don’t have any time limit.

Would like someone to discuss with, looking forward to hear from someone in the same situation.
Kind Regards
Niklas
Old 06-15-2021, 11:48 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,471 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Niklas Vemdal
I have the 1733 faultcode, shift rod sensor 3 failure. I have ordered a new from t-design and my aim is to change it by myself. Anyone else who are in the same situation and want to share experiences on the journey to get a working PDK? I will start dismount the transmission during the weekend and I don’t have any time limit.

Would like someone to discuss with, looking forward to hear from someone in the same situation.
Kind Regards
Niklas
Please post updates on the progress @Niklas Vemdal particularly any feedback on performance and reliability. I did add a link to the T-Design part to the main body of the post with the caveat that I have no connection to the company and cannot vouch for the part. It's simply an option for folks with a failed PDK and a looming $20k replacement bill to consider.

P.S. I've been offline from Rennlist for six months for various reasons and won't be a regular commenter due to personal commitments. I will update the post with new info as it becomes available.
The following 2 users liked this post by PV997:
997ajk (06-15-2021), irnnr (08-03-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 12:23 PM
Niklas Vemdal
Track Day

Default Not in a hurry…

Originally Posted by PV997
Please post updates on the progress @Niklas Vemdal particularly any feedback on performance and reliability. I did add a link to the T-Design part to the main body of the post with the caveat that I have no connection to the company and cannot vouch for the part. It's simply an option for folks with a failed PDK and a looming $20k replacement bill to consider.

P.S. I've been offline from Rennlist for six months for various reasons and won't be a regular commenter due to personal commitments. I will update the post with new info as it becomes available.
Nice to see you back @PV997, I would never have done this without your instructions. I have disassembled everything except the PDK itself. I emptied out oil yesterday and now it’s time for the moment to loosen and lower the PDK. I’m still waiting for my replacement sensor, expect to have it within a week.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:25 PM
GTSpure
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997

We took care of you and are happy to hear that everything is fine.
Health and shared enjoyment of our Porsche.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:16 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 253 Likes on 167 Posts

Nice to see you back @PV997, I would never have done this without your instructions. I have disassembled everything except the PDK itself. I emptied out oil yesterday and now it’s time for the moment to loosen and lower the PDK. I’m still waiting for my replacement sensor, expect to have it within a week.
We are shipping today!

We are also waiting on bunch of reviews, coming really soon. We are in contact with all our customers and know that two more units are being installed right now
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Last edited by t-design; 06-15-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:45 PM
Niklas Vemdal
Track Day

Default Reach bolt #6

I have now got my sensor. Should bring down the transmission BUT I don’t reach bolt #6 on a Boxster S 2009. Coolant pipes (stiff) are in the way. I’m wondering if I can take apart the transmission without taking it out from the car. Anyone that have tried it or have other ideas. Nothing in Porsche instructions about taking of cooling pipes.

Old 06-20-2021, 10:29 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,471 Likes on 630 Posts

I have now got my sensor. Should bring down the transmission BUT I don’t reach bolt #6 on a Boxster S 2009. Coolant pipes (stiff) are in the way. I’m wondering if I can take apart the transmission without taking it out from the car. Anyone that have tried it or have other ideas. Nothing in Porsche instructions about taking of cooling pipes.
Thanks for posting the photos. I have a 997 and am not that familiar with the Cayman but I would not try to separate the PDK case in the car unless you are absolutely sure it was fully supported and can see exactly what is going on from all angles. See the post upthread by Roberto where he has photos of a PDK he separated. The drive shaft and mainshaft are both seated into bearings fastened to the end case (under the two plastic covers in your photo). Roberto used a couple of pullers to evenly apply force and ensure the case came straight back. Working on a unit in the car (where you can't clearly see the seam from every angle) I'd be concerned the end case could get cockeyed and damage the bearing internals.

Check out some posts where folks pulled their MT transmission for a clutch job for some ideas. It's not the PDK but I know on the 997 MT it takes about two feet of extensions and a universal wobbly to get some of the bolts.

BTW, replacements for those two end caps are available from Porsche and the PN is in the post. Not sure but I think there may be a circlip under the cap so you'll want to remove them. Regardless you'd need to remove them for your puller anyways. Also, once you get the case separated please see if you can read the PN's off the bearings in the end case. These are held in place by a flange and are replaceable, it would be nice to add the PN's to the post. If you can't see the PN's the bearing dimensions (ID, OD, thickness) and seal type would be helpful.

Good luck and please continue to post photos.

Last edited by PV997; 06-20-2021 at 10:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PV997:
318touring (06-20-2021), Niklas Vemdal (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 11:22 PM
Niklas Vemdal
Track Day

Default Boxster PDK repair in car

I’m more and more convinced I can change sensor without taking down the PDK on the Boxster. I have taken off the rear bumper, bumper beam and heat shields. I have now good access to the rear part of PDK. I have cleaned it on the outside. Next step is to open it.

Old 06-20-2021, 11:28 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 253 Likes on 167 Posts

If u can get to those top bolts it looks like it. I did see somewhere pictures of open PDK while still on a car. But now when i want to find them i can not
Old 06-21-2021, 11:19 AM
Damien Law
Track Day

Received 23 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi all, I have submitted a new to thread on how to replace a displacement sensor
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...and-guide.html
@PV997 I would like to contribute more info to this thread with the above link if you don't mind, please add it in the first post. THANKS!
The following 4 users liked this post by Damien Law:
amet (06-21-2021), Fullyield (06-21-2021), irnnr (08-03-2021), t-design (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 02:23 PM
yarindadon
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default displacement sensor

hello guys I have the same issue with displacement sensor, is there any chance to take it out and try to refurbish it instead of buying one?
Old 06-22-2021, 11:35 AM
yarindadon
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help is needed

Hello guys I had p1733 yesterday and now p1871 anyone knows what p1871 means and how to repair it on 991?
The following users liked this post:
docdrs (11-07-2021)

Quick Reply: Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission