Sponsored by:

Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 10:23 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,514 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by 997ajk
Great thread! Thanks for contributions to everyone, good to know.

Has anyone tried 991 PDK in 997.2? Specifically 2012-2015 models which should be compatible. Does anyone know if final drives compatible for C4 variants and are sensors the same or is there some changes that would need to be implemented ?

Additionally has anyone tried converting their AWD / C4 to C2 ?
The 991 PDK has several differences from the 997.2 PDK that I've found, I don't know if any of these would cause compatibility problems.

Here are the extras in the 991 PDK:
  1. Gear oil pump and cooler in addition the clutch fluid cooler (997.2 only has the clutch fluid cooler, would need extra plumbing to accommodate the gear oil cooler)
  2. An additional check valve in the valve body to maintain pressure and allow quick starts when using autostart
  3. An additional solenoid and pressure sensor to support a locking differential (introduced in the 991's may not be in all models)
There is no difference between the sensors in the RWD and AWD PDKs, and I'm pretty sure the gears are the same but not 100% positive.
The following users liked this post:
997ajk (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 05:57 PM
997ajk
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

PV997 - many thanks for responding and shedding some light on the topic.

I wonder if one can be retrofitted and just omitting those sensors via plugging the harness. Hoping no TCM programming would be necessary.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:13 PM
Mrhobbiest
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Added latest VAL info to page #143 and car returns home Friday!
Old 06-04-2020, 03:24 AM
Rage360
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrhobbiest
Added latest VAL info to page #143 and car returns home Friday!
Hi, having similar issues with my Cayman from 2009. PIWIS gave me the codes: P0730, P17F0, P17F1 and P17F2, Mrhobbiest, how did they solve the P0730 code with you? Thanks!
Old 06-04-2020, 10:28 AM
Mrhobbiest
Intermediate

Sorry, no solutions as of yet. Car will be returned to me tomorrow. Then the fun begins. I'll be updating as info and time allows.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:49 AM
Mrhobbiest
Intermediate

Hey PV997, did you happen to catch my VAL update/edit of #143. It included this fault code, I was hoping you would weigh in on?
"ECU Information Fault codes
C130 - Communication steering wheel electronics (comfort)(no signal)"
Thanks
Old 06-04-2020, 03:07 PM
Rage360
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn! Thought it was solved as this code didn't appear in your latest update. Anyway, wish you luck and I'll keep up to date here in the forum the progress of my car in case it can help anyone else. I'm bringing it to some high executive contact I just made in Porsche that is willing to do some "calibration".
Old 06-04-2020, 05:10 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mrhobbiest
Hey PV997, did you happen to catch my VAL update/edit of #143. It included this fault code, I was hoping you would weigh in on?
"ECU Information Fault codes
C130 - Communication steering wheel electronics (comfort)(no signal)"
Thanks
Weird, that's an ECU code not a PDK code. I don't have the details on those but you may be able to find it with a little googling. Only thing I can figure PDK related is that the ECU thinks it's not getting a signal from the gear shift paddles (speculation). The steering module has CANDRIVE and CANCOMFORT bus signals, so presumably the error is CANCOMFORT based on the message. However only CANDRIVE connects to the TCU. The gear shift selector uses CANDRIVE.

Sorry I can't be more help but not sure what to make of this.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:14 PM
Mrhobbiest
Intermediate

Thanks for checking in - I asked the dealer to clear codes and plan on picking up piwis clone tomorrow and running some tested this weekend. Assuming I can figure out how to use the interface.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:21 PM
Mrhobbiest
Intermediate

Rage360
Read post #139 - it might be the chicken or the egg argument - is the slippage causing overheating or is the temp(overheat) sensor causing all the other codes to show up? Stay tuned...
Old 06-04-2020, 09:35 PM
sl430
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys trying to help my buddy with a 991.1 turbo S and found this thread. A few weeks ago his pdk started leaking (see pic and video). He brought it to the dealer and they said pdks are not serviceable but they did try to put some sealant where it's leaking and it ultimately failed. The car's back at the dealer now and they can only recommend to replace the pdk now. Any ideas? Is this something that might be able to be fixed? Car is working perfectly normal otherwise.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_6926.mov (2.69 MB, 67 views)
Old 06-05-2020, 10:50 AM
subaru335i
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sl430
Hey guys trying to help my buddy with a 991.1 turbo S and found this thread. A few weeks ago his pdk started leaking (see pic and video). He brought it to the dealer and they said pdks are not serviceable but they did try to put some sealant where it's leaking and it ultimately failed. The car's back at the dealer now and they can only recommend to replace the pdk now. Any ideas? Is this something that might be able to be fixed? Car is working perfectly normal otherwise.

They are seriously recommending to buy a whole new transmission for a fluid leak?!?!?!

That is crazy talk. He should at the very least take it to a good indy shop.

I can't tell where that leak is exactly in the video but that looks like where the fluid collecting on the drain plug is coming from.
But there has to be a way to seal it. He might have to crack the case to do it but these things aren't magic as PV997 has proven.

Keep us updated.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:41 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Any leak short of a cracked transmission case can be fixed, I don't know how these dealer service managers sleep at night. Hard to tell from the video but is it dribbling out from the bolt hole? Those bolts hold together the two halves of the transmission case, see about half-way down the main post for pictures of the case separated. That is gear oil leaking out. If it is coming out the bolt hole did they check the torque? Before doing anything drastic I would check all case bolt torques and make sure nothing is loose. If that doesn't work I would remove the offending bolt (assuming it is coming from the bolt hole) and reinstall it with a thread sealant and maybe even a little RTV squirted under the bolt head before final tightening. It's not clear from your comment what exactly the dealer did so maybe they tried this already.

If none of that works the transmission can be removed, separated, and resealed. From the photos in the main post you can see there is no gasket groove so it probably uses RTV on that interface. BTW, the dealer will not separate and reseal it because Porsche's procedures assume the techs are idiots who can't think for themselves. See the first document linked at the bottom of the main post (Porsche PDK t-shooting procedure), it specifically says to replace the PDK for leaks at this seam. The dealers are too cowardly to deviate from this, but they have no problem charging $15k to replace the entire transmission. Unethical is putting it mildly. So you'll need a cooperative indy or DIY it. Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:27 PM
sl430
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys and PV977 for starting this thread. From the video it looks like the leak is beginning here at this red circled case bolt and then pooling to the drain plug. In regard to what the dealer attempted it sounds like they tried to put some sealant on the bolt area only (they did not try to remove it). We spoke to an indy and they suggested we try to remove the offending bolt and reseal it as you mentioned PV977. We're gonna try that and see how it goes. Will keep you all posted.

Old 06-05-2020, 02:48 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the replies guys and PV977 for starting this thread. From the video it looks like the leak is beginning here at this red circled case bolt and then pooling to the drain plug. In regard to what the dealer attempted it sounds like they tried to put some sealant on the bolt area only (they did not try to remove it). We spoke to an indy and they suggested we try to remove the offending bolt and reseal it as you mentioned PV977. We're gonna try that and see how it goes. Will keep you all posted.
Makes sense. When you pull the bolt gear oil may come out since it appears that the seam isn't sealed well in that area. If that happens it will be difficult to get a good seal and I'd suggest draining some gear oil to get it below the bolt level and refilling afterwards.

Last edited by PV997; 06-06-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Guide to Repairing a PDK Transmission