Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 12:02 AM
ugotgrossed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Formerly Known As: 2008whitegt3

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Thanks for clarifying. The 997 and 991 GT2 seats look identical in the pictures but obviously some differences.

Yes 991 gt2 seats will mount but will not work with 997 airbags.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:15 AM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008whitegt3
I don’t doubt you but post #10 above says the opposite. This is a super-critical point for those spending the money. Which is it? Do the 991 version’s airbags work in a 997 or not?

i already have 997 versions, so I don’t care, but we need to avoid creating conflicting info if possible. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:44 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
I’m a little embarrassed to mention something you probably already know (since you have been around here for a while), but maybe someone else might find it helpful. There was a post, maybe seven to ten years ago (with pictures) about the tilt issue. The solution was to use washers between the body and seat rails to tilt and/or raise the seats. I have no idea how safe or stable this hack would be but it might be that you’d have to use a slightly longer bolt to offset the width of the washer. I never thought I was lucky to be slightly below average size and weight, but being so, the seats fit me like a pair of lycra cycling shorts.
No embarrassment, instead thanks for adding to the options. I've heard of adding washers to the front mounts to increase the tilt backwards but have not heard of adding washers to the rear mounts too in order to raise the whole seat. No idea how safe or stable this would be but with longer bolts I don't see how it should be much of a problem. Like wheel spacers. Btw....I have Lycra cycling shorts too (20%). Just checked
Old 12-12-2019, 02:45 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

Thanks. Figured it had to be something like that.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:53 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 246 Posts

^^^

This is incorrect
Old 12-15-2019, 03:01 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Installed the ROW 991 GT2 drivers seat in my 997.2 C2S today.

The car came from the factory with heated manual Sport Seats. Manual forward and back, electric tilt.

The ROW 991 GT2 drivers seat bolts right up and the connector plugs right in, plug and play.

The airbag works and the heating element works!

The seat belt chimes and stops when you plug in the seatbelt.

***No PIWIS reset required***

^^^OEM Sport Seat

^^^991 ROW GT2 Seat

^^^Seat harness with connector

^^^The money shot, post installation.

No airbag light!!!

***Full airbag functionality***

The airbag light comes on system checks and goes out.

Yes the annoying seatbelt chime still does its thing. Comes on if the belt is not fastened and goes out after it is connected.

Exactly how everything functioned prior to the seat change.

This did not require a trip to the dealer for a PIWIS reset.

Lastly, the heat works with the ROW 991 GT2 seat, toasty buns

A big thank you to Gert for all of his help with my endless questions.

I may put a CF wrap on the back of the passenger hardback Sport Seat, still undecided.

The next project is a BK harness truss.

Last edited by Patrick3000; 12-15-2019 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Pictures
The following 2 users liked this post by Patrick3000:
elwademd (07-08-2022), FutureClassic (10-28-2020)
Old 12-15-2019, 06:16 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,989 Likes on 2,058 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Curious.....how tall are you? I'm 6'3" and was concerned about driving position since they only adjust forward and back. Full back they're actually near perfect for me and I like to sit low. If anything I would like just a tad more tilt towards the back but as I've said before, I just slide forward a bit and that does the same thing as that tilt backwards. I've heard of really short people making adjustments to the mounting of these seats, some or maybe most of them probably to raise them. Could it be that you sat in one of those?
6'5". But mostly torso it seems. 34" inseam pant. I do not mind the upright seating position, I sit that way normally in my 2 way sport plus seats.

I could have been sitting in one of those. I think he passenger seat also sits a bit higher than the driver seat. It was a tight fit in both a 997.2 C4S launch edition in the driver seat, along with a 997.1 GT3 in the passenger seat and a 997.2 GT3 in the driver seat, which I had plenty of headroom in due to no sunroof but you definitely sit higher and your knees are definitely closer to the steering wheel.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:22 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
Installed the ROW 991 GT2 drivers seat in my 997.2 C2S today.

The car came from the factory with heated manual Sport Seats. Manual forward and back, electric tilt.

The ROW 991 GT2 drivers seat bolts right up and the connector plugs right in, plug and play.

The airbag works and the heating element works!

The seat belt chimes and stops when you plug in the seatbelt.

***No PIWIS reset required***

A big thank you to Gert for all of his help with my endless questions.

I may put a CF wrap on the back of the passenger hardback Sport Seat, still undecided.

The next project is a BK harness truss.
Karl, thanks for the detailed information. If you are only doing one seat, would you be able to post here or PM me the height difference between the 2 way (manual seat) in the lowest position, compared to the GT2 seat at both the front of the seat and back of the seat? So essentially the space between the bottom of the seat and the ceiling (not in the sunroof recess), at the back of the seat and front of the seat. Maybe I really did just sit in a higher seat and I am curious to see.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:03 AM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Karl, thanks for the detailed information. If you are only doing one seat, would you be able to post here or PM me the height difference between the 2 way (manual seat) in the lowest position, compared to the GT2 seat at both the front of the seat and back of the seat? So essentially the space between the bottom of the seat and the ceiling (not in the sunroof recess), at the back of the seat and front of the seat. Maybe I really did just sit in a higher seat and I am curious to see.
@Bxstr - You are welcome, happy to take some measurements for you but I may not get to it until next weekend. The GT2 seat does sit higher than the Sport Seat. I tried two different 997 versions in 987.2 Caymans and this 991 version in my C2S, all three sit higher than the stock Sport Seat. Also the US LWB’s in my old GT4 were noticeably lower. I’m 5’11” and 180 lbs btw. My suggestion is to find and sit in a couple of different cars and see if you like them. Your local PCA HPDE is a good place to start.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:09 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks for the update. That is good news!
One question for you: How are the heating elements built into the removable cushions?
Curious. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:06 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
@Bxstr - You are welcome, happy to take some measurements for you but I may not get to it until next weekend. The GT2 seat does sit higher than the Sport Seat. I tried two different 997 versions in 987.2 Caymans and this 991 version in my C2S, all three sit higher than the stock Sport Seat. Also the US LWB’s in my old GT4 were noticeably lower. I’m 5’11” and 180 lbs btw. My suggestion is to find and sit in a couple of different cars and see if you like them. Your local PCA HPDE is a good place to start.
Thanks Karl. No rush, I wouldn't be buying seats for a while.

Yes, I have sat in many GT4's and 991.2 GT3's with the fixed LWB's, that don't fold and have height adjustment. Those are my favorite. However, I do not think there is a way to wire those up to work in a 997. If I could, I would probably go with those as they are my favorite, but not sure I would be willing to pay the $10-15k. I think the 997 GT2 seats are the most I would want to spend.

I sat in a 997 GT3 with the ROW 997 GT3 seats/CGT seats and those sat higher than I expected too and I believe the ones I sat in were the small size as even me at 195lbs and a 34" waist could barely fit.

Joe
Old 01-15-2020, 04:48 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

very useful info Bxtr, do you happen to have the row 991 gt2 (or 997 gt2) driver seat part number by any chance? just want to check with my local dealer for price comparison.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:55 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 589 Posts

Okay I may have missed it but my car is a 2012 GTS with heated manual seats. I'd like to keep the heated seats operational. If I order the 991 version driver and passenger will it for sure be plug and play including safety features like air bags?
Old 10-28-2020, 05:52 PM
jbse39
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I purchased 991 version of GT2 seats from Carnewal to install in my 2010 GT3 with Adaptive Sports seats, based on this thread but there are a few things that I wish I had known before doing so. I chose to go with the 991 version of the seats as I appreciate the heated seat function when our chapter does HPDE in lat March or October, as it does get a bit cold in the mornings in WV (Summit Point). I ordered Schroth 6-point harness to go with the seats from Gert. Apparently, there are some differences between these 991 version GT2 seats and the 997 version that came as optional equipment in the US.
  • 991 seats were not Federalized and the passenger side does NOT have Airbag Weight Sensor (AWS), which will trigger the airbag light. There are numerous posts indicating that AWS can be coded out but the shop I am working with (TPC in Maryland, and Tom has a 997GT3 and knows it very well) says some cars take the coding and some don't, like his car. My car also would not take AWS disable setting and he is trying various module combinations to keep the airbag light from coming on but so far not successful, and his car did not either until he turned off airbags altogether. Since Porsche uses a fairly complex AWS, rather than a simple mat-type sensor like BMW, it isn't easy to reverse engineer it. Since Virginia has an annual safety inspection that I will not pass with the airbag light on, I may have to resort to a piece of black tape if TPC cannot code out the AWS. I use the car on the street and track, so I would like to keep the functionality.
  • There seem to be some dimensional differences between the 2 versions of the seats, as BK sub bar would not fit in the space under the seat, and these bars were fitted to many owners with 997 version of the seats. We were going to drill holes on the floor and mount eyelet bolts for sub belts but Schroth harness designed specifically for this application was not long enough when bolts were placed in the location TPC thought would be the best. It may have been helpful to see where the RoW version mounts their bolts but in the end, TPC modified 991 RS sub bar to fit in my car.
Hopefully, this will be helpful for those considering the 991 version of the GT2 seats for the driver and the passenger side. As the OP posted, it would NOT be an issue if just installing the driver side seat.
The following users liked this post:
quickxotica (10-29-2020)
Old 03-18-2021, 11:13 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 165 Posts

Question for anyone with knowledge of both the 997 and 991 folding bucket seats, would it be possible to add the proper heating elements from the 991 folding seat to a set of 997 GT2 seats?
Cost aside, what would be the biggest challenge? Is the seat wiring connector the same between the 997 and 991 generation?

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 Seats