Rock!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 12:49 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Rock!

No, not a cracked windshield thread. This was a fairly large rock, perhaps loosened up by a light tremor in our area.

I was driving along at about 50-55 mph on Route 154, a very scenic road behind Santa Barbara--and a favorite of the car magazines, for road tests. I had no clue from other drivers by swerving or braking--and hit a good sized rock (approx. 5 inches high and maybe 8 inches wide) in the left portion of my lane on a single lane in each direction roadway. The damage appears to be contained mostly to the wheels/tires. I was running Carrera Sport (XRR) pressure cast wheels and Bridgstones (with about 3000 miles on them). I was about 15 miles from home. It about about 3:45 pm.

When I hit that rock with the front wheel the jolt was dramatic! Dust everywhere. And then the rear wheel ran over it as well. And then the TPMS immediately reported "Flat Tyre" yet it remained smooth driving! With traffic on my tail and no place to safely pull off I quickly switched my left outside mirror downward so that I could see that tire in the mirror. Being a 30-series tire, you're practically on the road already with those tires. But I didn't feel like I was in immediate trouble. I kept the speed at about 45-50 and listened and felt for any feedback from the steering wheel. So far so good! I hoped optimistically that the TPMS shut down due to the violence of the impact, having never seen it go to black instead of "0" before. In time I realized that I had to pull it off the road at a location of MY CHOICE instead of the car's, and so I picked a nice vista turnoff that would leave plenty of safe operating space for a tow rig.

When I got out of the car I immediately looked to the rear and saw, as I expected, a fully flat tire with a bit of smoke emanating from the wheel well. And a burnt rubber smell. Not bad, really. Then I turned my attention to the front. After all, it was the first place hit by the rock. The TPMS reported that I had a good 36 psi in that front left tire. Amazingly, the tire bead was still being maintained! The rim was torn up and the internal cords had clearly failed. But it held air!

When the AAA driver arrived he attempted to put some air in the rear tire to make it a little easier to load on to the truck's flatbed, but it simply went out as fast as he pumped it in. I later figured out why!

I had him take me home, with a large, flat driveway, and all the tools anyone needs (along with another set of rims/tires). He dropped me off, I unloaded my car full of groceries and then proceeded to jack it up and pull the wheels. I found some interior wheel-well scraping between (I'm guessing here) the tire and the forward wheel well liner. It wasn't until the next day when I had plenty of light did I see the actual impact damage to wheel in the rear--absolutely fractured, and thus the reason for the immediate loss of air as reported correctly by the TPMS. (It had held about 44 psi at impact).

I have to say that I am very impressed that the car handled as well as it did. I drove it like that for about 4 miles!

The photos show the significance of good old German engineering! I don't know how well a Chinese knock-off would fare. OEM is clearly the way to go. I put my Fuchs forged rims and Michelins on in their place. I suspect the Fuchs would have BENT before they would have broken, due to the nature of forgings.

I'll probably drive it to the local dealership where I ordered the car and have them go over it from front to rear. The car will need at least a four wheel thrust alignment, and maybe some under panel replacement. I'm very happy that nothing painted BLUE appears affected!

Side view-post rock impact

Left Front Wheel Impact

Closeup of rock impact

Close up of wheel fracture

Rear wheel impact from rock on road
Old 11-12-2019, 01:17 AM
Unframed
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 83 Posts

Sorry to see that, at least that pricey ceramic rotor escaped unharmed!
Old 11-12-2019, 01:18 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

YIKES! ... Glad you are safe, didn't lose control and also no body damage. My assumption would be the same in that you most definitely want to get everything checked out and an alignment done after an impact like that. Hopefully no suspension parts were bent either. I ran over a ladder one time. I was switching lanes on the freeway but with a large suv in front of me I had no idea there was a ladder laying out there. Bent a wheel and lost some plastic bits from an underpanel. So frustrating. Sorry for the loss of those beautiful Carrera Sports. Those wheels and tires are not cheap. Are you planning to file an insurance claim? Just curious. btw, always loved the color and look of your 911. The PCCB's look awesome too.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:24 AM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 92 Posts

Awesome, no brake or body damage.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:11 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

With my usual $100 deductible, I'll let them pick up the tab. But, I always try to help out --like buying the wheels from Sunset Porsche instead of sourcing them locally.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:28 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

Glad you're OK and the car held up.

We had something similar happen two months ago up in Oregon in Pam's GLA45. Doing a bit over 90 when we hit a power company insulator (gray just like the road in the early morning light). Other than some noise and the dash low pressure warning almost nothing else. I removed my hands from the wheel and the car still tracked straight. Slowed to 60 and drove a half mile to a safe pull out and called AAA. Back on the road in a couple of hours.

I need to give a lot of credit to tires, suspension, and stability control.

FWIW no damage to the car and the alignment held. Hope you're as lucky.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:20 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Wow, never seen the lip of a wheel crack apart like that. Glad the damage was limited to the wheels and tires, but I'd be surprised if there isn't some suspension damage at the front - control arm, bent shock, top mount, etc so make sure they check it out thoroughly - also the wheel bearing(s) on that side, which may seem fine now, but fail a few months from now. If so that's from the object impact. Get that noted on the estimate so they can do a supplement to cover them later on without filing another claim.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:24 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

Bummer, it happens. Thanx for posting!

Peace,
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-12-2019, 10:37 AM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

Holly Geezz, the knocking noise must have been the worst to hear and probably feel !!!
Old 11-12-2019, 10:52 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Dan,
I may be wrong about this, but I will pass on the info anyway. It might depend on your insurer, but if you hit a stionary object on the road, like a rock, they won’t cover it, but if the rock was moving, as in it disloged from a hillside and was rolling across the road you are okay. A friend of mine hit a rock coming out of the Caldecott Tunnel last year and when he went to file a claim the agent gave him this piece of infromation. Maybe they figure hitting a rock was your fault but Force Majeure is covered?
Old 11-12-2019, 02:28 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tip. I found it pretty incredible that no one else hit it before me. It must have just happened.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:40 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

"Thanks for the tip. I found it pretty incredible that no one else hit it before me. It must have just happened."

No, no no... The rock rolled on to the road and you couldn't avoid it in time. Re-read TCC199's post once again before making your claim!!
Old 11-12-2019, 02:54 PM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

"My dad's got some tools - I can fix it!!" or my favorite - That will buff right out

Glad you are ok

Old 11-12-2019, 04:13 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

It actually fell-off a truck you were following but couldn't avoid it !!!! You are darn lucky it was still sliding and not bouncing !!!! Man you almost died. But seriously, with the price we pay for insurance...
Old 11-12-2019, 04:22 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 786 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Phrog Phlyer
"My dad's got some tools - I can fix it!!" or my favorite - That will buff right out

Glad you are ok

Quick Reply: Rock!