Rear Bumper Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 07:19 PM
Charly Borinelli
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear Bumper Question

Hi everyone,
I`m looking to add a more aggressive look to my 997.1 Carrera S, so I was analyzing installing a different rear bumper and found one NRAuto option. The thing is: I don`t like the 2 bump stops it has, I marked them here

I found the look I want and it would be like this, but the thing is they only sell it for 997.2 at NRAuto

I do not want to change the exhaust setting of my car so something like this would be great.
Do you know any other option? is NRAuto a good quality product? any recomendations? I`m a little bit lost here
Thanks for any advice you could have!!

Last edited by Charly Borinelli; 10-31-2019 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-01-2019, 09:09 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

What you are wanting is a European bumper that does not have bumperettes. If I am correct it is a direct fit.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:19 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,452 Likes on 4,113 Posts

We call those US Bumper Warts and I agree with you that they don't look very good. Both the rear bumpers on my 997s have been changed to aftermarket. The silver one has a RUF RGT bumper on it and I had to buy it directly from Germany as it's the last one they'll ever make and were keeping it in case a customer had an accident and needed a replacement. The one on the pink pearl car is a Vorsteiner and they stopped making 997.1 body parts a few years ago, so although I can't help you with a current source, I do agree with your assessment.

If you can only find them for a .2 car, you could do a rear bumper conversion where you also switch to .2 led taillights but you will need other parts too, like bulb control module, etc - there's a fairly recent thread where someone who did this listed all the parts and part numbers needed.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:26 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petza914
We call those US Bumper Warts and I agree with you that they don't look very good. Both the rear bumpers on my 997s have been changed to aftermarket. The silver one has a RUF RGT bumper on it and I had to buy it directly from Germany as it's the last one they'll ever make and were keeping it in case a customer had an accident and needed a replacement. The one on the pink pearl car is a Vorsteiner and they stopped making 997.1 body parts a few years ago, so although I can't help you with a current source, I do agree with your assessment.

If you can only find them for a .2 car, you could do a rear bumper conversion where you also switch to .2 led taillights but you will need other parts too, like bulb control module, etc - there's a fairly recent thread where someone who did this listed all the parts and part numbers needed.

I never noticed the emblems on the back of your cars. Are those front emblems just attached to the rear? bumper?
Old 11-01-2019, 09:43 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

A good body shop can patch the holes when the bumperettes are removed. It does require repainting the bumper though.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:18 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doclouie
I never noticed the emblems on the back of your cars. Are those front emblems just attached to the rear? bumper?
Yep, it's something I do on all my Porsches. Prefer the crest to the newer style "PORSCHE" they use now and want people to be able to answer the question about what it was that just flew by them

914 is on the engine lid as there's not a good place for it on the rear, and it already has the PORSCHE reflector. On the 928 it helps to obscure the ugly trunk lock, and on the Cayenne fills up that large rear panel better.

Some like it - some don't. I do, which is why they're on there.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:36 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

I think it looks really good. Nice personal touch.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:50 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doclouie
I think it looks really good. Nice personal touch.
Thanks doclouie !
Old 11-01-2019, 12:33 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by semicycler
A good body shop can patch the holes when the bumperettes are removed. It does require repainting the bumper though.
This. The american bumpers are essentially euro bumpers with holes drilled to allow for the mounting of the bumperettes. Have a competent body shop fill the holes and divots and repaint.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:04 PM
galaxy collision
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

if you're looking at any aftermarket bumpers, stay away from fiberglass or FRP. Urethane is better in every aspect
Old 11-01-2019, 10:32 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by galaxy collision
if you're looking at any aftermarket bumpers, stay away from fiberglass or FRP. Urethane is better in every aspect
@galaxy collision

so in your opinion is this GTG ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911...y/180905729566
Old 11-04-2019, 01:44 AM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Bump
Old 11-04-2019, 03:58 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Louis de Funes
Bump
Depends on how picky you are. First, the verbiage in the ad says 2005-2009. Gen 1 is 2005-2008 and it won't fit a 2009 because that's gen 2 where the taillight shape changed.

For the white car to be their advertising vehicle, it should be perfect and there are a couple of fitment things that I don't like, however the overall bumper style and design I do like.
  1. The inward dip where the side of the bumper mates to the fender - good picture of the problem on the left side and I assume it occurs on the right as well, but the bumper is too wide for the rear of the car - my guess... they molded a WB sized bumper and installed it on a NB car since their fitment list shows all models, but the don't differentiate between NB & WB. If you car is a WB, then it might look better once installed.
  2. Just to the right and below the "a" in "Carrera" there's a deformity in the bumper that creates an irregular gap in the bumper to decklid gap.

When these types of issues occur on a PUR (polyurethane) bumper, they're very difficult to fix. With a Fiberglass or FRP (Fiber Reinforced Plastic) they're much easier and the body shop can build up or sand the area (or both) to reshape how they fit together. The Vorssteiner bumpers on our pink pearl car are Fiberglass, as are all the components from the widebody kit on the Cayenne.

A PUR bumper that's close can be installed by anyone and look OK if the initial shape and curves are good. A Fiberglass bumper can be made to look perfect, but only by a skilled body shop that's willing to spend the time (and your money) to make it as perfect as you want it to be.

For example, fitting of the cayenne fender flares, notice the work they did to make the 3 individual sections at the rear align perfectly (door flare, fender flare, and bumper flare).

The junctions of the front and rear bumpers to their respective fenders have bumper welting (like that used on older 930s & 928s) to cushion the mating pieces which is why the gaps look larger in those areas, but it's the width of the rubber trim that makes it look that way. Here's a closeup of the front bumper welting strip.

The following users liked this post:
Louis de Funes (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 08:15 AM
galaxy collision
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis de Funes
@galaxy collision

so in your opinion is this GTG ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911...y/180905729566
Ebay is always hit or miss. you never know if your getting a copy of a copy made in somebody's basement
The following users liked this post:
Louis de Funes (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 01:01 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

@Petza914

thank you for your valuable input and feedback - I appreciate your expertise

Originally Posted by Petza914
Depends on how picky you are. First, the verbiage in the ad says 2005-2009. Gen 1 is 2005-2008 and it won't fit a 2009 because that's gen 2 where the taillight shape changed.

For the white car to be their advertising vehicle, it should be perfect and there are a couple of fitment things that I don't like, however the overall bumper style and design I do like.
  1. The inward dip where the side of the bumper mates to the fender - good picture of the problem on the left side and I assume it occurs on the right as well, but the bumper is too wide for the rear of the car - my guess... they molded a WB sized bumper and installed it on a NB car since their fitment list shows all models, but the don't differentiate between NB & WB. If you car is a WB, then it might look better once installed.
  2. Just to the right and below the "a" in "Carrera" there's a deformity in the bumper that creates an irregular gap in the bumper to decklid gap.

When these types of issues occur on a PUR (polyurethane) bumper, they're very difficult to fix. With a Fiberglass or FRP (Fiber Reinforced Plastic) they're much easier and the body shop can build up or sand the area (or both) to reshape how they fit together. The Vorssteiner bumpers on our pink pearl car are Fiberglass, as are all the components from the widebody kit on the Cayenne.

A PUR bumper that's close can be installed by anyone and look OK if the initial shape and curves are good. A Fiberglass bumper can be made to look perfect, but only by a skilled body shop that's willing to spend the time (and your money) to make it as perfect as you want it to be.

For example, fitting of the cayenne fender flares, notice the work they did to make the 3 individual sections at the rear align perfectly (door flare, fender flare, and bumper flare).

The junctions of the front and rear bumpers to their respective fenders have bumper welting (like that used on older 930s & 928s) to cushion the mating pieces which is why the gaps look larger in those areas, but it's the width of the rubber trim that makes it look that way. Here's a closeup of the front bumper welting strip.

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Question