Wood vs Tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 10:16 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Wood vs Tire

Wood won

Some wood shard pierced my tire. A piece of WOOD. We are talking like a 1/4-1/2 inch wide, inch or so long piece of WOOD (or that's at least what was left in the tire) It's almost like someone shoved a rough dowel into the tire.

It's too close to the sidewall to repair and as a bonus the wood somehow broke up the steel belt so it couldn't be repaired anyway. WOOD vs STEEL!!!!

This is just a complaint. Thanks for reading.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:36 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 806 Likes on 453 Posts

I had a truck carrying studs lose its load in front of me back in 1998. A shard of a stud went through my tire AND my wheel!! Luckily none went through me!!
Old 10-26-2019, 02:47 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Astraelraen
Wood won

Some wood shard pierced my tire. A piece of WOOD. We are talking like a 1/4-1/2 inch wide, inch or so long piece of WOOD (or that's at least what was left in the tire) It's almost like someone shoved a rough dowel into the tire.

It's too close to the sidewall to repair and as a bonus the wood somehow broke up the steel belt so it couldn't be repaired anyway. WOOD vs STEEL!!!!

This is just a complaint. Thanks for reading.
Not much of a consolation I realize but something similar happened to me recently. Hit something on the road. Didn't see it but sure felt it. Seconds later the flat tire warning came on. I had just left my house so managed to turn around and made it back home with not much air left in the tire. Big cut in the tire so no surprise it went flat as quickly as it did. Only positive to come out of it was that I was approaching replacement time for all four so that's what I did. The indy doing the replacement guessed it was some kind of piece of metal on the road to make that kind of cut.

A lot of contractors at least here in Florida just load up their pickup trucks with all kinds of junk and tools and drive off with no concern of securing their load. Many even leave their tailgate hanging. Worst I've seen so far was what looked like an 8' or 10' step ladder in the center lane of I 75 just south of Tampa. Imagine driving across that at 80 mph....
The following users liked this post:
Iceter (10-27-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 08:23 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

F = M*A is a bitch.
The following users liked this post:
BLU997 (10-26-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 08:42 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,701 Likes on 4,258 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Not much of a consolation I realize but something similar happened to me recently. Hit something on the road. Didn't see it but sure felt it. Seconds later the flat tire warning came on. I had just left my house so managed to turn around and made it back home with not much air left in the tire. Big cut in the tire so no surprise it went flat as quickly as it did. Only positive to come out of it was that I was approaching replacement time for all four so that's what I did. The indy doing the replacement guessed it was some kind of piece of metal on the road to make that kind of cut.

A lot of contractors at least here in Florida just load up their pickup trucks with all kinds of junk and tools and drive off with no concern of securing their load. Many even leave their tailgate hanging. Worst I've seen so far was what looked like an 8' or 10' step ladder in the center lane of I 75 just south of Tampa. Imagine driving across that at 80 mph....
I had to dodge a spinning ladder on i-85 in NC at night running about 85 mph back in the early 90s. Almost came out unscathed, but the very end of it just nicked my rocker panel in front of the rear wheel. No dent, just a scratch.

OP, sorry about your tire splinter.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:53 AM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge

Living up in Ottawa, Canada. I was sat a light waiting to turn right, pickup truck coming in the opposite direction making a left turn across in front of me. A whole bunch of tools slopping around in the back - a 3ft crowbar falls out and bounces end over end towards me. Nothing you can do just watch it come towards you....

Luckily it stopped about two feet in front of the car.
Now I own a 3ft crowbar if anyone needs to borrow one :-)

Bummer to the OP - its amazing what crap you hit on the road....
Old 10-26-2019, 09:07 AM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

For the life of me I can't understand the physics of how so many nails, screws and such get sucked into my tires. I couldn't hammer a nail into the tire if I tried, but just driving over one....

This one takes the cake. A wood shard! Must have something to do with the softer compound of these tires.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:37 AM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

I just wish they would wear or fail together so I could switch brands. These are Bridgestone RE050A.

I can get non-N spec replacements for far cheaper than Nspec. Might just do the whole front even though the other side has less than 5000 miles on it.

I wanted to switch to Michelin or Contenintal when the rears wore out... Kinda defeats my plan to purchase new fronts right now.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:52 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by GTorTT
For the life of me I can't understand the physics of how so many nails, screws and such get sucked into my tires. I couldn't hammer a nail into the tire if I tried, but just driving over one....

This one takes the cake. A wood shard! Must have something to do with the softer compound of these tires.
Whether or not there's anything to it I don't know but my service advisor told me once that the typical scenario is hitting a nail, screw or who knows what with the front tire which sends whatever the object is tumbling towards the rear tire. If the timing and tumbling comes out just right, it hits the rear tire at an angle that allows it to penetrate.

I would give the theory some merit since I've had three flat tires from road debris on my three 997's. All three on either one of the rear tires. None on the frronts.

Quick Reply: Wood vs Tire