Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braided brake hose makes a difference ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 02:26 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Braided brake hose makes a difference ?

Quite frankly I couldn't feel a significant difference after changing from the regular rubber brake hose to the stainless steel braided version on my BMW.

For those that mod their Porsche and change it to braided hose, do you notice any difference in brake pedal feel, or is it just a placebo effect ?
Old 10-19-2019, 02:31 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

2009 C2S 145K miles

No change. I did when I did it knowing fully well I was probably fooling myself. Put it this way, if it did make a difference, it was tiny at best.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-19-2019, 06:28 PM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 364 Likes on 229 Posts

I think that’s true for modern brake hoses and certainly newer model ones that aren’t that old. It did make a difference on my 1987 944 Turbo when replaced the original thirty year old examples

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Old 10-19-2019, 09:02 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I changed the lines on one car and it made a very noticable difference. Alot more pedal feel and harder feeling brakes.
So heres the difference. The metal braid doesnt have anything to do with it. The fluid is not in the metal braid. The braided lines have ptfe or polyimide or a teflon (or other brand name) type hose in them. These hose do not flex open when under pressure. like rubber hoses will do.
So the pressure you put on the fluid, is sent to the wheel caliper without expanding the hose . It sends the real fluid instead of letting the pressure expand the hose.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:17 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

It depends on the model in my experience. Some
are designed to be a little squishy probably to smooth the brake engagement. My first Panamera (base model) had spongy brakes which was quite surprising. You could compress the brake hose with your fingers it was so soft. On a sports car I wouldn’t expect there to be much improvement.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:58 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by OKB
I changed the lines on one car and it made a very noticable difference. Alot more pedal feel and harder feeling brakes.
So heres the difference. The metal braid doesnt have anything to do with it. The fluid is not in the metal braid. The braided lines have ptfe or polyimide or a teflon (or other brand name) type hose in them. These hose do not flex open when under pressure. like rubber hoses will do.
So the pressure you put on the fluid, is sent to the wheel caliper without expanding the hose . It sends the real fluid instead of letting the pressure expand the hose.
This.

There is also a feel difference.

Also, the rubber inside regular hoses swells over time, becoming spongier and also restricting fluid flow, vs the Teflon lining in braided hoses so they last essentially forever.

They are also stronger so less likely to sever from a road debris impact.

Make sure they are DOT approved and that the stainless braid is covered with a plastic smooth coating so it doesn't abrade things it contacts. I put stainless lines on all my cars.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Some mechanics actually prefer non-braided hoses. They say that braided hoses can have hidden swelling that is not detected.

Trending Topics

Old 10-20-2019, 09:03 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

If all tubing is stainless versus all rubber, I could see a benefit. If it is rubber except for the last 2 feet, not so much. Looks nice though.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:11 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

cant be solid metal, it wont flex with the suspension , I think all the performance dealers that sell brake part upgrades recommend changing to hi quality braided lines. Ive never seen any that discourage using them or prefer oem.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:11 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
If all tubing is stainless versus all rubber, I could see a benefit. If it is rubber except for the last 2 feet, not so much. Looks nice though.
The hard lines in the car are metal. The rubber lines that get replaced with stainless are only the last section that goes from the body hard lines to the calipers so they can turn and flex with the wheel movement.

I've never heard of the Teflon lining inside the stainless swelling. The ones on my old Saab Turbo that my Dad now owns are 27 years old. The ones on my pickup and 914 are 16 years old.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:07 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
The hard lines in the car are metal. The rubber lines that get replaced with stainless are only the last section that goes from the body hard lines to the calipers so they can turn and flex with the wheel movement.

I've never heard of the Teflon lining inside the stainless swelling. The ones on my old Saab Turbo that my Dad now owns are 27 years old. The ones on my pickup and 914 are 16 years old.

That's good to know. I've had SS and Goodridge lines on bikes that firmed up the braking, but haven't noticed much change on a car but haven't tracked yet either.

Quick Reply: Braided brake hose makes a difference ?