Sponsored by:

997.1 with PSE not getting louder when pressing sport button

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 09:50 PM
Joshua Tjandra
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 with PSE not getting louder when pressing sport button

Hey all, just got my 07 997.1 which I think comes equipped with PSE (smaller inner & larger outer tips)

However when I press the sport button it doesn't seem to get louder, could the previous owner have programmed it to stay on Loud mode? Comparing my exhaust to YouTube sound clips makes it seem that my PSE should be louder.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:02 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshua Tjandra
Hey all, just got my 07 997.1 which I think comes equipped with PSE (smaller inner & larger outer tips)

However when I press the sport button it doesn't seem to get louder, could the previous owner have programmed it to stay on Loud mode? Comparing my exhaust to YouTube sound clips makes it seem that my PSE should be louder.

I hate to say, but having smaller inner/outer exhaust tips does not guarantee PSE exhaust as an option. Just means the tips were swapped out for PSE "style".. If your car is equipped with PSE there is a separate in dash button with an exhaust tip symbol. Also when you open your engine deck you will see an orange colored vacuum actuator on the right side next to your power steering reservoir. Or you can look under the car and there should be 2 exhaust pipes , one large and one smaller pipe, going to each exhaust tip for a total of 4 exhaust pipes. If you have 4 exhaust pipes, not just tips but 4 pipes coming from the mufflers, then you can also look to see if you can spot an exhaust butterfly valve towards the top of the muffler. If you do have all those things happening, then maybe you have a faulty vacuum line or butterfly valve.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:28 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

As previous poster said, PSE and sport are two different options. The sport button affects the suspension, throttle response, and maybe a few other things, but not the exhaust. There will be a separate button with exhaust tips for PSE.

Skip
Old 10-09-2019, 11:33 PM
boxrbus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have the Sport Chrono package (aka. "the Wart"), you will not have the exhaust button.
The following users liked this post:
merlin's glasses (01-24-2021)
Old 10-10-2019, 01:35 AM
Joshua Tjandra
AutoX

Originally Posted by qikqbn
I hate to say, but having smaller inner/outer exhaust tips does not guarantee PSE exhaust as an option. Just means the tips were swapped out for PSE "style".. If your car is equipped with PSE there is a separate in dash button with an exhaust tip symbol. Also when you open your engine deck you will see an orange colored vacuum actuator on the right side next to your power steering reservoir. Or you can look under the car and there should be 2 exhaust pipes , one large and one smaller pipe, going to each exhaust tip for a total of 4 exhaust pipes. If you have 4 exhaust pipes, not just tips but 4 pipes coming from the mufflers, then you can also look to see if you can spot an exhaust butterfly valve towards the top of the muffler. If you do have all those things happening, then maybe you have a faulty vacuum line or butterfly valve.
I have the sport chrono, and that orange Vacuum actuator. I'll try unplugging it to see if it will make my car louder
Old 10-10-2019, 01:36 AM
Joshua Tjandra
AutoX

Originally Posted by boxrbus
If you have the Sport Chrono package (aka. "the Wart"), you will not have the exhaust button.
That's what I thought 😬
Old 10-10-2019, 02:16 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

There is a test you can do to see if the actuator is working. When power is applied the actuator makes a loud "click" sound. Kind of sounds like snapping your fingers. While the car is running you can have someone hit the sport button on and off and see if you can here the "click" while standing behind the engine... Just be careful not to put your hands or have loose clothing near the engine while it is running. The serpentine belt is spinning back there and you don't want anything getting snagged in there while listening.

If the actuator is working fine, then it must be a valve or vacuum line going to the exhaust. It is my understanding that the exhaust butterfly valves by default are in the "open position". When vacuum is applied they should "close". When vacuum is shut off they should open. If the actuator is not responding you can also try unplugging the 2 vacuum lines that come out of the actuator bottom. That should release vacuum and the valves would return to there "open" position. At least that is my understanding. Some one correct me if I got the default "open" valve position wrong and it is opposite.

Either way, test to see is actuator is responding. then troubleshoot the vacuum lines. Keep us posted.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:35 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 374 Likes on 245 Posts

Could someone have done the mod to make the exhaust always on? Check the connections to the exhaust.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:23 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,457 Likes on 4,116 Posts

qikqbn, you're correct. The default position when the car is off is open or loud/sport mode. Starting the car sends current to the vacuum solenoid and that pulls the valves shut into quiet mode. After that, pushing the button releases the vacuum and lets the springs open the valves again for sport mode. Even in sport mode, the valves will close occasionally on their own for both noise regulations and to increase low end torque for drivability.

It's my understanding that in a .1 car with Sport Chrono that has PSE, you don't get a separate PSE button, just the Sport Button, but the photo from qikqbn posted here seems to contradict that since he has a PASM shock button, a Sport button, and a PSE button, which I thought was changed on the 997.2 cars, but maybe my understanding on the 997.1 cars has been incorrect.

First thing to check is whether you have a pipe under the car going to both the large and small opening on each side. If so, you have PSE. If not, someone installed PSE tips on a regular muffler and the small hole has nothing connected to it - should be able to see right through it.

Next thing to check is whether the light on your Sport button works. If so, we move on, if not, check the fuse associated with that button.

Next go back to the solenoid in the engine compartment. Is the electrical connection connected. Some people disconnect it so it stays in sport mode all the time. If it's not connected, plug it in and test.

If it is connected, look at the line coming from it. That line has to T somewhere so there's one going to each side of the car and connects to the valve on the muffler. If you look at the valve on the muffler when someone presses the button, you can see the vacuum move the arm to change the position of the valve. If one side is disconnected, neither side may work as it would create a vacuum leak back to the solenoid where I couldn't pull vacuum to either side as I don't believe there are one-way or check valves in these lines.

Also, the valves themselves can go bad, especially if you live where there is salt and corrosion.

Let us know what you find.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:57 PM
vvcobravv
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swftiii
As previous poster said, PSE and sport are two different options. The sport button affects the suspension, throttle response, and maybe a few other things, but not the exhaust. There will be a separate button with exhaust tips for PSE.

Skip
The sport button opens the valves on my 2008 C4S. I don't have a separate button for it either.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:10 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

My 997.1 was built with X51, so has PSE as part of that package. Also has Sport Chrono, and I do not have a separate PSE button. I wish I did, but alas I have to press the Sport button to activate PSE loud mode.

also, I’m not sure one can swap the PSE tips to a regular (ie non PSE) muffler? There are two pipes off the muffler to the PSE tips. Perhaps it can go the other way, ie PSE tips to non PSE muffler, but regular non PSE tips won’t go onto a PSE muffler. As an aside, on close examination, the PSE mufflers are made by Eisenmann.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:35 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

The photo of separate 997.1 PSE button clearly shows that it was an option, but that photo is not my car. It very well could be a photo from a 997.1 Turbo that may have had those options, but I am not sure. Either way, we have listed several different ways to test or check to make sure you have a PSE and try and trouble shoot it if you do . I think it is a bummer that they did not include a separate PSE button on all the cars with PSE. Some times in stop and go traffic or an easy drive you may not want sport throttle control, but do want sport exhaust sound.

Also, As far as PSE exhaust tips on non pse mufflers with single exhaust pipe. Yeah, I think it would be a tight fit and may not work, because the tip still attaches to larger pipe, but is offset for smaller secondary pse tip. Maybe I saw an aftermarket tip that was similar. Oh well, keep up posted

Old 10-12-2019, 01:59 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by boxrbus
A lot of discussions about this and I have to admit I'm still a bit confused. Especially since I'm not sure exactly what the differences are between .1 and .2 cars. My understanding is that sport chrono has nothing to do with the exhaust. In other words you can have sport chrono with or without PSE. You get the tail pipe button with the addition of PSE. For example, my -09 C4S had sport chrono but had the standard non PSE exhaust and thus no tail pipe button. Maybe things are different on the .1 cars but I doubt it. Can't remember the configuration and buttons on my 06 C4S and didn't care since it came with a Tubi exhaust so it was "on" all the time whether I liked it or not. I suspect that never had PSE/tail pipe button which is why the previous owner bought a Tubi system.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:56 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,457 Likes on 4,116 Posts

Yes, that's the difference. On .1 cars, no separate PSE button with the tips icon if the car has Sport Chrono. On the .2 cars, if you have PSE you get the separate button even with SC.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:49 PM
Joshua Tjandra
AutoX

Added some sound clips to help.

1. Tried unplugging the orange vacuum actuator, I don't hear any difference with it plugged or unplugged.
2. I don't hear any "click" noise from the actuator. (I owned an F80 M3 prior, and I could definitely hear when the exhaust flap opens, and also a massive difference in tone)

I think these are the only 2 checks I can perform without lifting the car up on jacks? I live in an apartment building so I have limited capabilities to troubleshoot

Added some sound clips for reference. I guess I should try finding someone local with a PSE and compare.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2824 (1).mov (1.33 MB, 122 views)
File Type: mov
IMG_2809 (1).mov (2.95 MB, 101 views)

Quick Reply: 997.1 with PSE not getting louder when pressing sport button