Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping seats from Manual Sport to 18 way. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 10:53 AM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Swapping seats from Manual Sport to 18 way. Any advice?

I am in the process of landing a set of 18 ways for the car (from a 997.2 TT) and wanted to know if anyone has done the swap from regular sport seats (with the manual crank and power tilt)
Can't seem to find any information using the search feature.
I'm aware that to get memory function I need to change the door card but I don't need that to work.
Just need power and heat.

Any links or any advice?

Is there something about the passenger rail has to be changed so that the airbag sensor in the seat works??? No idea.

Thank you
Old 09-26-2019, 04:24 PM
997v2cabrio
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If no one gets back to you with a procedure, I would reference the maintenance manual and call my local dealer to see if its even possible.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:28 PM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Hey thanks, I am getting some information from a great Porsche community on Facebook called PORSCHE 997 RETROFIT & CUSTOM, Modified.

It can be done but will take some custom wiring to get power to the motors.
Airbags and heat should be plug and play but power is different.

If anyone else has any insight please let me know!
Old 09-26-2019, 04:31 PM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

This harness diagram helps.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:57 PM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 89 Posts

Is there a weight savings? Does anyone know what the lightest stock seats are?
Old 09-27-2019, 04:28 PM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ohio Performance
Is there a weight savings? Does anyone know what the lightest stock seats are?
No the 18 ways are a little heavier than the sports.
Not too much though... I think 6 pounds heavier I read somewhere...

The lightest would be Buckets.
The second would be my current sports.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:32 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

the adaptive seats are great. congrats !!!!

Originally Posted by Recruiter_Bruno
No the 18 ways are a little heavier than the sports.
Not too much though... I think 6 pounds heavier I read somewhere...

The lightest would be Buckets.
The second would be my current sports.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:55 AM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

For the record, to anyone reading this.... do not attempt this install unless you are a technician or have access to one that will do the work at a flat rate.
The wiring is extensive and is mainly unknown.
My tech (who is excellent) brought power and created a loom as instructed by a very helpful guy out of the UK on Facebook (Ron E Dee) but the drivers seat will not power up.
Have come to the conclusion that you need to connect the seats to the Canbus network in order to turn on the black box.
So you need to trace down the wiring (Comfort possibly) in the car and run a high and low.
Hopefully the voltages will be correct.
Then you need to code the car to tell it to look for the seats.
And who knows if all that will work... it's theoretical.

I've already spent a lot and can't afford to spend thousands more on a tech to figure it out.

I really cannot find anyone in the world that has successfully installed any power adaptive seats into a 997 car that wasn't ordered with power seats.
So my gorgeous 18 ways are for sale.

I feel terrible about giving them up because they are a once in a lifetime find (Painted Yellow backs, Yellow Deviated Stitching, Crests, Heated) but hopefully they will go to another nice car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1164845
Old 10-11-2019, 02:49 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

I saw your ad and was initially interested but I bet shipping to the US would be killer (I'm on the west coast)

I have power/heat/cool/memory "regular" seats just not sport seats. I would suspect it should be plug and play with the sport seats. You are talking about going from "manual" seats to the full power seats lacking the wiring?
Old 10-11-2019, 02:54 PM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astraelraen
I saw your ad and was initially interested but I bet shipping to the US would be killer (I'm on the west coast)

I have power/heat/cool/memory "regular" seats just not sport seats. I would suspect it should be plug and play with the sport seats. You are talking about going from "manual" seats to the full power seats lacking the wiring?
Correct. Manual to power is a nightmare.

Yes for you it would be plug and play.
But you would lose cooling.
Shipping is not as bad as you think.
We could talk.
PM me if your are interested,
Old 12-02-2021, 12:35 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,556 Likes on 4,170 Posts

I was just thinking about putting a set of full power adaptives into a 928 I bought - have only retrofitted the manual versions to date, but after reading this, am going to pass. I thought just connecting power and ground to those two larger terminals labelled in your photo would do it to power all the functions except heat. I don't care about seat memory or the side airbags - just need all the power seat functions to work.

Do you think that would in that case and the complexity of trying to put them into a 997 with all it's wiring and controls is where your problem occurred. Making the power recline on the manual seats I've retrofit into 928s and my office is as easy as 12v and ground to those two pins

Old 12-02-2021, 07:25 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 414 Posts

Have you spoken to a Porsche tech who has expertise with the PIWIS? It might be possible to simply enable the proper coding between the manual and power seats. I suspect the coding is already in the DME and the wiring is already built into the wiring harness. There are two wiring connectors that come out of the chassis. I recently installed LWB seats in my car and discovered the wiring harness with the yellow connectors is for heat and airbags. The other connector is for power. The LWBs don't have power so I just zip-tied the second connector away. My stock seats were full power heated/ventilated seats. I will ask my local tech who was the head tech at my local Porsche dealer and report back with any update. If anyone knows, it will be him. Good luck with the install.

Originally Posted by Recruiter_Bruno
I am in the process of landing a set of 18 ways for the car (from a 997.2 TT) and wanted to know if anyone has done the swap from regular sport seats (with the manual crank and power tilt)
Can't seem to find any information using the search feature.
I'm aware that to get memory function I need to change the door card but I don't need that to work.
Just need power and heat.

Any links or any advice?

Is there something about the passenger rail has to be changed so that the airbag sensor in the seat works??? No idea.

Thank you
Old 12-02-2021, 08:27 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Have you spoken to a Porsche tech who has expertise with the PIWIS? It might be possible to simply enable the proper coding between the manual and power seats. I suspect the coding is already in the DME and the wiring is already built into the wiring harness. There are two wiring connectors that come out of the chassis. I recently installed LWB seats in my car and discovered the wiring harness with the yellow connectors is for heat and airbags. The other connector is for power. The LWBs don't have power so I just zip-tied the second connector away. My stock seats were full power heated/ventilated seats. I will ask my local tech who was the head tech at my local Porsche dealer and report back with any update. If anyone knows, it will be him. Good luck with the install.
I am very interested to know this as well.

Quick Reply: Swapping seats from Manual Sport to 18 way. Any advice?