Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this 911

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019 | 12:49 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by baoluvboa
Haha, PDK is a plus for me. I don't know how to drive manual and the idea of stop-n-go traffic with a manual is daunting.

I've seen that blue car and was on the verge of buying it when it was $41k, a few days after it was posted. Everything was ready and was just waiting for the financing department. The interest rate for that car came out to be 8% which is too high for me (I have decent credit, 780 ish). Is that a common rate for an older car?

I've applied to Penfed today to see if they can get me around 3-5% for an older car. I might go back to that blue car if they will go down to $41k again and if the PPI comes out clean, but looks like you guys know the previous owner.
Check out lightstream, they will wire the money straight to you. You walk up with a cashier check and walk out. It's easy and their rates are good.

https://www.lightstream.com/
Old 09-09-2019 | 01:12 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Haha, PDK is a plus for me. I don't know how to drive manual and the idea of stop-n-go traffic with a manual is daunting.

I've seen that blue car and was on the verge of buying it when it was $41k, a few days after it was posted. Everything was ready and was just waiting for the financing department. The interest rate for that car came out to be 8% which is too high for me (I have decent credit, 780 ish). Is that a common rate for an older car?

I've applied to Penfed today to see if they can get me around 3-5% for an older car. I might go back to that blue car if they will go down to $41k again and if the PPI comes out clean, but looks like you guys know the previous owner.
I am the previous owner. The exhaust is a bit loud, but it's a damn good car. I bought the car from California and had it shipped. I only had it for a 1 1/2 years and 2500 miles. I posted the link because I feel bad seeing it sit there on the dealers lot... it needs a good home!
Old 09-09-2019 | 01:49 PM
baoluvboa
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Balr14
I am the previous owner. The exhaust is a bit loud, but it's a damn good car. I bought the car from California and had it shipped. I only had it for a 1 1/2 years and 2500 miles. I posted the link because I feel bad seeing it sit there on the dealers lot... it needs a good home!
Would you recommend that I still get a PPI on it?
Old 09-09-2019 | 02:40 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

I can give you the one I got 1 1/2 years ago and I have done nothing that would change anything for the worse. I have had an oil change, replaced the AOS, had the 60K service done and added an ECU tuner and had a custom tune done. The car was serviced by 2 independent garages and a Porsche dealer and they all said it was a great car. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it. It sat in the garage on a battery tender all winter. I accelerated hard, when the engine was warm, in auto mode about 4 times... never in manual mode. But, I can't say how people who have test driven it in the last month have treated it. I think Selig gives you a warranty of a month and 1000 miles. The Porsche dealer I had do the 60k service would probably be the best place for a PPI, if you still wanted one. There are 2 independent garages that could do it, but the wait time could be weeks.
Old 09-09-2019 | 02:59 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Who knows if the Dealership salespeople have revved the sh_t out of it causing over revs/etc
Or someone doing a test drive---> PPI a must

No offense Blair14, I think you'd agree. ---> Didn't you buy the new Mustang?? Enjoying it?

Old 09-09-2019 | 03:14 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Who knows if the Dealership salespeople have revved the sh_t out of it causing over revs/etc
Or someone doing a test drive---> PPI a must

No offense Blair14, I think you'd agree. ---> Didn't you buy the new Mustang?? Enjoying it?

This dealer handles a lot of high-end lease returns, so they are pretty good with how they drive the cars. I would have more faith in them than I would with most dealers. But, you never know.
I traded for a Mustang GT. It has a full warranty for peace of mind. It has a longer wheelbase, softer suspension and smaller wheels with taller sidewalls, so it can handle the awful street conditions better. It also has a lot of cool electronic toys I don't really need, but are a lot of fun. It has a rear seat that is actually useful for the grand kids. But mostly, my wife likes it... a lot! She hated the Porsche and refused to ride in it. I have already put almost as many miles on it as I did in 1 1/2 years with the Porsche. However, I do miss the Porsche... a lot! So, I'm saving my money for a 991 (with an extended warranty) in a year or two. I'll still keep the Mustang.

Note: I got to drive a 2017 C2S cabriolet.... I'm in love!
Old 09-09-2019 | 04:20 PM
Donny87
Intermediate

I went with Pen Fed and got 3.99% on a 2007. I have similar credit. I compared them to USAA and Light stream and Ped Fed was the best. They were easy to work with as well.
Old 09-09-2019 | 07:29 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Balr14;16092872]This dealer handles a lot of high-end lease returns, so they are pretty good with how they drive the cars. I would have more faith in them than I would with most dealers. But, you never know.
I traded for a Mustang GT. It has a full warranty for peace of mind. It has a longer wheelbase, softer suspension and smaller wheels with taller sidewalls, so it can handle the awful street conditions better. It also has a lot of cool electronic toys I don't really need, but are a lot of fun. It has a rear seat that is actually useful for the grand kids. But mostly, my wife likes it... a lot! She hated the Porsche and refused to ride in it. I have already put almost as many miles on it as I did in 1 1/2 years with the Porsche. However, I do miss the Porsche... a lot! So, I'm saving my money for a 991 (with an extended warranty) in a year or two. I'll still keep the Mustang.

After 26 years of marriage this could be very good news
Old 09-10-2019 | 03:18 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Steph1
First of all, the accident didn't happen to you, but to a previous owner... Therefore, it DOES affect resale value and YOU are one to benefit from it. Make sure you pay nowhere near similar others without accidents and get that deal...…. Well, after a thorough PPi of course.

Then who cares if your car had a previous accident??? Yes, you'll get less for it when you sell, but you'll have paid less for it when you bought. Kinda cancels itself doesn't it !?!
As I said in a previous post, I just went through this bumper "accident" discussion having my car on the market for a couple of months. So once again, Porsche will CPO a car with bumper repairs or replacements as long as there's no hidden additional damage discovered once the bumper is removed. So not even the dealers see bumper jobs as anything of consequence regarding the value of the car. Does this suggest that nobody should pay "nowhere near similar others without accidents"? Subjective no doubt but I disagree. With this reasoning, people could pass on near perfect examples due to a cosmetic repair or replacement of a front or rear bumper.

As my Porsche service adviser told me: "Lots of Porsche drivers out there with or without CPO coverage thinking they own and drive a car with no accident or body repair history". Carfax as most probably know is hit and miss at best, especially for minor issues such as what's discussed here. With any body panels other than front or rear bumpers......whole different story according to the same advisor.

Last edited by sandwedge; 09-10-2019 at 03:36 AM.
Old 09-10-2019 | 10:26 AM
baoluvboa
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Donny87
I went with Pen Fed and got 3.99% on a 2007. I have similar credit. I compared them to USAA and Light stream and Ped Fed was the best. They were easy to work with as well.
Yep, they gave me a 3.49% on 36 month.
Old 09-10-2019 | 06:12 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
As I said in a previous post, I just went through this bumper "accident" discussion having my car on the market for a couple of months. So once again, Porsche will CPO a car with bumper repairs or replacements as long as there's no hidden additional damage discovered once the bumper is removed. So not even the dealers see bumper jobs as anything of consequence regarding the value of the car. Does this suggest that nobody should pay "nowhere near similar others without accidents"? Subjective no doubt but I disagree. With this reasoning, people could pass on near perfect examples due to a cosmetic repair or replacement of a front or rear bumper.

As my Porsche service adviser told me: "Lots of Porsche drivers out there with or without CPO coverage thinking they own and drive a car with no accident or body repair history". Carfax as most probably know is hit and miss at best, especially for minor issues such as what's discussed here. With any body panels other than front or rear bumpers......whole different story according to the same advisor.

Nevermind as a seller, we are talking about buying from a dealer here... Forget your own situation and see it as a witness. What I meant, is that any dealership would price your car according to the Carfax repairs and wouldn't care if the job was done perfectly. In fact they will insist on how it is a shame that you have an accident on Carfax cause unfortunately, your car is only worth ''this'' amount because of that report and that Porsche enthusiast are pretty picky when it comes to those details.

So, he should use that same mentality to explain that this car he's interested in is only worth a certain amount because of that Carfax report. That way, down the road after years of reliability, the next owner might not care about the accident because he sees it the same way you do, but any dealer will rub it in his face and that is a certainty.

Just like when you trade a car at the dealer, any addition you've made to the car isn't worth anything to them and they will tell you that straight up. But they will sure use all those additions as sales pitch to justify their asking price.

So that is what I meant. Personally, I couldn't care less about pass cosmetic accidents as long as the car was repaired perfectly and the repair job has held well after years.
Old 09-10-2019 | 11:30 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

The accident on the Carfax will be a turnoff to future buyers, but if it was a minimal accident and repaired properly then it's your call. As others have stated get a PPI so that you sleep better. The price is great. I suspect cabriolets don't sell well in middle America in the winter.
Old 09-11-2019 | 02:40 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Steph1
Just like when you trade a car at the dealer, any addition you've made to the car isn't worth anything to them and they will tell you that straight up. But they will sure use all those additions as sales pitch to justify their asking price.

So that is what I meant. Personally, I couldn't care less about pass cosmetic accidents as long as the car was repaired perfectly and the repair job has held well after years.

Highly subjective matter but that's how I see it too. Bought my first 997 (-06 C4S) paying fair market value knowing it had been rear ended. Light hit so no other damage found once the bumper was removed. Replacement and paint of the bumper was done to perfection by one of the most reputable body shops in Ft. Lauderdale and was undetectable to me and to the people doing the PPI. So a non issue to me but not to many others. Some buyers won't even consider a car with any "accident" history, no matter how minor, no matter how flawless the repair and no matter how pristine the overall condition of the car. Kind of sad to see people pass on the exact car they've been looking for over years sometimes because of a perfectly replaced and painted rear or front bumper.

And as my service advisor said, tons of drivers out there (997's and others) thinking they have a car with no history when in fact it does have a history. Carfax as we all know is not exactly precise in finding out the history of a car. They seem to catch most of the big events but small jobs like bumpers seem to slip by at a fairly high rate.
Old 09-11-2019 | 10:41 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Highly subjective matter but that's how I see it too. Bought my first 997 (-06 C4S) paying fair market value knowing it had been rear ended. Light hit so no other damage found once the bumper was removed. Replacement and paint of the bumper was done to perfection by one of the most reputable body shops in Ft. Lauderdale and was undetectable to me and to the people doing the PPI. So a non issue to me but not to many others. Some buyers won't even consider a car with any "accident" history, no matter how minor, no matter how flawless the repair and no matter how pristine the overall condition of the car. Kind of sad to see people pass on the exact car they've been looking for over years sometimes because of a perfectly replaced and painted rear or front bumper.

And as my service advisor said, tons of drivers out there (997's and others) thinking they have a car with no history when in fact it does have a history. Carfax as we all know is not exactly precise in finding out the history of a car. They seem to catch most of the big events but small jobs like bumpers seem to slip by at a fairly high rate.
IMO I think the train of thought regarding no-accident Porsche comes from many years of ownership and the desire to have a no-stories example.
Lots of 1st time Porsche buyers will buy w/o PPI or any sort of in-depth research on the car. Minor accident damage is sort of a mute point.
At least this has been my experience with the 40 or so Porsche's I have sold.

When it comes to a higher end/more expensive GTS/GT3/etc I think the critical thinking gets even more magnified. Most always the buyer is a seasoned Porsche owner wanting a more perfect example.
It is hard to understand when it is YOUR car especially when you consider the perfect better-than-new repairs and paintwork high end shops perform.

Both my past 05 997S and 07 997C4S had minor accident damage on CARFAX. I bought them knowing I could use the accident history to grind the hell out of the asking price and it has always worked. I also knew the accident damage would be an issue when it came time to sell.
But this last time around when I purchased my 07 997S I wanted a clean CARFAX because I knew I'd probably be stepping up to a 991 at some point and may even be trading into a Dealer which I've never done in all 34 years of Porsche purchases.
The only reason I would ever even consider buying from a Dealer would be for an excellent service history example and the Sales Tax savings.
Unfortunately cars with any sort of accident damage get a bad rap and its just something that will never go away no matter how long or hard an owner justifies it. Just the way it is.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this 911