Sponsored by:

Sports Plus/Chrono Aftermarket on Manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 07:40 PM
Red_AE86
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sports Plus/Chrono Aftermarket on Manual

I've been doing some research on whether it would be worth spending the money to have the package installed on my car. I don't quite care for the clock that gets added on as I have an aftermarket stereo fitted which from what I researched means functions won't be fully available with it. The main thing holding me back from installing the package is a Cobb Access Port. It can change the maps also which is what the software seems to do for the most part. I don't have the PSE so the sports plus button wouldn't double as a switch for that. All in all the package adds a timer and benefits the PDK more than a manual from what I can gather. What are your opinions on it? If anyone has had the package added onto a manual shifting car what exactly was the difference noticed?
Old 08-30-2019, 07:59 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 786 Likes on 445 Posts

I find myself not using sport more and more because it is just straight up easier to modulate the throttle in normal mode.
IDK if you have any experience with VTEC controllers but sport mode kind of reminds my of that where the Porsche version of VTEC comes on earlier but also the throttle is A LOT more sensitive.
People might disagree but I actually HATE driving in sport mode in traffic. Any spirited driving where you need careful throttle control seems to be better in normal mode but that is just me.
I do not think it adds power.
Tom at TPC, whose opinion I take very seriously on anything 911 posted this on his thread in the 997 GT3 section

"A few people asked me which electronic settings I used for this run so I thought to share this info-
TC ON (Interesting fact is with the combination of suspension components, tire size and compound, and setup with factory Traction Control ON it is not intrusive at all. I found this out by accident when I forgot to turn TC OFF. I believe this is the result of the car having a lot of rear grip and the taller rear tire further improves the situation by raising the rear wheel spin detection threshold)
Engine Sport Mode OFF (Because I personally find that with Engine Sport Mode OFF the throttle modulation is better)
Suspension Mode I have been using DSC, the two modes are programmable by user. I use DSC Normal Mode for street and wet track. I use DSC Sport Mode for dry track"
Old 08-30-2019, 08:51 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

I like sport mode for heel/toe shifting. Otherwise I find that my blips don't blip enough. It also turn the electronic nanny's down just a little bit more....

In traffic and around town, sport mode off.

Cw
Old 08-30-2019, 09:45 PM
Red_AE86
Intermediate

So basically what I'm gathering from the responses is additional power via an access port will be a better option since I don't really want a super twitchy throttle. My BMW has similar characteristics when it comes to it's sport button so I have some idea of the feel. For a more raw driving experience it could be beneficial but again it doesn't seem worth the investment.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:40 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 786 Likes on 445 Posts

After my experience having it, I would not retrofit it to a MT C2S if I got another one. I would go for the accessport, especially if you can custom tune your car.
The following users liked this post:
Red_AE86 (08-31-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 02:03 AM
Red_AE86
Intermediate

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll go that route instead. Might help me with understanding maps better and eventually setting up ITBs on my AE86 in the future. I don't think there are too many bolt-on mods to increase power but these cars don't really need much in my opinion.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:31 AM
Greg2010
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 58 Posts

First thing I do is to turn on performance sport exhaust (great harmonics in the garage) and sport mode (once engine is warmed up)...leaving DCS in normal mode unless going through twistys (then increase dampening on DCS).

I usually turn off sport mode when moving in stop and go traffic....and have become a master at coasting to a stop😂

Trending Topics

Old 08-31-2019, 03:12 AM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 185 Posts

I don't know how sport mode feels in an MT, but it makes a world of difference in a PDK. I don't like it in stop and go traffic but the rest of time it makes a huge difference.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:40 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Sport mode in a MT sucks. Mandatory in a PDK for the shifting, but should be avoided in a MT. My wife's car came with the SC option and I've tried it a few times and do not like the throttle modulation at all.

It's like having a Sprint Booster that augments all your inputs and makes finite modulation difficult, especially when you're on the edge and needing to feather the power to balance the car.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:32 AM
Red_AE86
Intermediate

Yeah. It really doesn't seem worth the investment to have a dealership fit it aftermarket. Throttle response that is super twitchy can get cumbersome to manage and driving my BMW takes some adjusting but that's a slap shift. Throw a clutch pedal in and having to manage that also and things get a bit more difficult. So following my experiences and what everyone else is posting in the thread if you have a manual gearbox stick to a Cobb Access Port. I'm not sure if there's an equivalent to the JB4 for Porsche as they have for BMWs though. I do know the have beta units for the newer cars but for the 997 there doesn't seem to be support just yet.

Quick Reply: Sports Plus/Chrono Aftermarket on Manual