Sponsored by:

Bose Amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 05:19 PM
jdubdds24
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Bose Amplifier

Anyone have a bose amplifier for a 997.2 they want to unload? Or have any idea where to find one? I had my head unit repaired by becker autosound last week, got it back and it works great but no sound. Checked all the fuses, thinking the amplifier is done.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:24 PM
larrysb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

I think you may need to visit a dealer to get the radio re-enabled after repair.

The same with the amp. The hardware is the same across a lot of models, but it has to be set up by a dealer computer for the specific car and equipment.

Should be be able to probe the connector for power at the amp.

If if you can lay hands upon an optical converter, the amp will turn on and make sound with any valid optical input.
The following users liked this post:
jdubdds24 (08-24-2019)
Old 08-25-2019, 11:24 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,444 Likes on 4,106 Posts

Are you getting sound from the subwoofer with the repaired head unit installed - the signals for the sub don't go through the Bose amp as it has its own amp in the sub enclosure. If you're getting subwoofer sound, then you're on the right track, but if you're getting nothing then you may need to follow the previous advice first about coding the radio to the car.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:20 PM
larrysb
Racer

The PCM head unit can be configured in software to provide speaker level output in the base radio configuration, or optical output for the Bose configuration.

Unfortunately the only way to set this is with the dealership computer (or perhaps, an authorized third party shop with the actual Porsche computer and account, but perhaps not).

Easy test:

Reach under the seat, pull out the optical connector from the Bose amp. Turn on the head unit. If you see a red light from one side of the cable, it's probably working and the amp is bad or not getting power.

If no red light, the radio needs to be configured, or it is still broken.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:22 PM
larrysb
Racer

Originally Posted by Petza914
Are you getting sound from the subwoofer with the repaired head unit installed - the signals for the sub don't go through the Bose amp as it has its own amp in the sub enclosure. If you're getting subwoofer sound, then you're on the right track, but if you're getting nothing then you may need to follow the previous advice first about coding the radio to the car.

The sub in the 997.2 Bose gets its analog signal from the processor built into the Bose amp, which it separates from the optical bus signal from the head unit.

If the Bose amp isn't turning on, no subwoofer signal.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:53 PM
jdubdds24
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Awesome, i will check it out. I'm getting zero sound, no sub woofer or any other, I'll go check the optical cable and see if thats firing off. I would assume it is since it just came back from being completely serviced...
Old 08-26-2019, 01:13 AM
larrysb
Racer

Originally Posted by jdubdds24
Awesome, i will check it out. I'm getting zero sound, no sub woofer or any other, I'll go check the optical cable and see if thats firing off. I would assume it is since it just came back from being completely serviced...

It probably is NOT sending the optical signal if it is freshly back from radio repair. That's an optional configuration that is turned on only for Bose and Burmeister sound options. The standard radio is configured to send speaker level signals out the speaker terminals on the DIN connector.

Fresh from repair, the unit is likely configured for base model operation. No optical signal.

Or perhaps, the optical connector wasn't seated correctly in the back of the radio.

My bet is on the radio needing to be configured for Bose.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:14 PM
fwheelerjr
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BECKER AUTOSOUND, LLC
101 US HWY 46
SADDLE BROOK NJ 07663

Quick Reply: Bose Amplifier