Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy way to run wire from cabin to engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 03:57 PM
eunos33
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy way to run wire from cabin to engine?

I was wondering if there is a easy way to run a couple of thin cables from the dash all the way to the engine? Im installing a remote valve system and was wondering where to get them through. Im thinking through the shift cable area but im open for easier ideas. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-26-2019, 09:23 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

I don't know if this will help you at all, but attached are the installation instructions for the Porsche PSE exhaust system that should involve similar work on a car not factory equipped with it.
Attached Images
Old 08-26-2019, 01:10 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

When i ran a cable for my reverse backup camera, i ran it along the drivers side sill and at the rear firewall area, there is a large rubber grommet (drivers side or behind coolant tank), which can be removed or punched through with some work. This is the hardest part.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:16 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

I just did this the past wekeend. Most of the rear interior needs removed. Not hard, just a little tedious.

Above the passenger rear wheel is a larger gromet for the electrical harness. You can see it from the engine bay. From the inside, with the interior removed you can see on the top of the gromet a nipple that you can punched/cut through. I used a wire fish tape and tied a string to the end of it. Once through, you can reach the string from the engine bay. Tie whatever to it and pull it back through. It is easier if someone is pulling and someone else is guiding the wire from the engine bay.

Good luck...
Old 08-26-2019, 02:51 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by platinum997
Once through, you can reach the string from the engine bay. Tie whatever to it and pull it back through...
Following the above methodology, I suggest that along with the wire that you're going to pull through the grommet you should pull second string or wire. Hence, for any similar need in the future you'll already have in place a pull string/wire. Well at least that's what I did....

Quick Reply: Easy way to run wire from cabin to engine?