Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I cant decide! Turbo vs GT3!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 09:49 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

There's something special about a high revving NA car that forced induction doesn't do for me. That said, a turbo would be great for a cab.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:16 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

If I could afford it, I would get a turbo with the PDK in a heartbeat. The performance with the PDK is incredible.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:19 AM
Reedy26
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
For what you say, and without reading any other posts, for your intended use + if there is no chance this car will be a daily—GT3 100%.
I have gotten to ride in some Turbos, and I have driven a 993 (Arena Red) Turbo. I feel like they are so awesome for driving, even in traffic. People might not agree but the turbos I have driven have always felt like excellent Grand Touring cars. Riding in them has always been so cush in my experience. A Turbo was my dream car all through high school and for years after as well while I was in college.
GT3s are not great Grand Touring cars until the PDK 991, which I have only ridden shotgun in over longer distances of over 100 miles or so. The 996-997 GT3s are not very daily friendly in my experience. I have driven and ridden in 996 GT3s, which feel insanely raw just as so many people have claimed. 997.1 seems more refined (maybe because of the chill seats) but even with PASM is harsh. Interestingly, the 997.2 I have driven and ridden in feels a lot like the 996s IMO because of the RSS roll bar, the GMG center bypass with the big oval tip, and the LWB.
The second the GT3 came out, I swapped my view from the super cush autobahn crusher turbos to the nürburgring record ruiner GT3 but I see them as different cars with different purposes.
Last, I specifically got a C2S to move away from AWD. will you miss AWD? That is worth considering as an ex-C4S owner.

To be honest, the AWD is probably the only thing I didn't like about the car. I felt that it hindered the cars rotation when I wanted it to really turn(couple auto x events) and I know I'd still have that with the turbo, but the substantial increase in power & potential power with tuning is appealing.

On the other hand the sound & look of the GT3 speaks to me, even if I'm giving up some speed.
The following users liked this post:
jamesinger (07-20-2024)
Old 08-25-2019, 12:47 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Reedy26
To be honest, the AWD is probably the only thing I didn't like about the car. I felt that it hindered the cars rotation when I wanted it to really turn(couple auto x events) and I know I'd still have that with the turbo, but the substantial increase in power & potential power with tuning is appealing.

On the other hand the sound & look of the GT3 speaks to me, even if I'm giving up some speed.
You can tune a 2017 C2S to nearly the same power levels as the Turbo, with less weight and no AWD power loss.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:10 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 786 Likes on 445 Posts

sticking with the GT3 suggestion then.
Also, as mentioned above 2nd would actually be a 911T. Tuned its a RWD turbo.
I come from AWD cars and FWD before that, so I get what you are saying. I really specifically wanted RWD when I got my C2S.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:02 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

I'm really struggling with this. Just sold my 997 C4S and starting to research my next P car. I am considering a 997.1 (or .2) GT3 or a 997.2 Turbo with PDK. I really like the more aggressive look of the GT3, not to mention the sweet sweet sound. However, I know it cant really match the potential straight line/stop light performance of a Turbo, especially one with a tune. I would use the car mostly on the street with a couple of track days per year along with a road rally here and there. My other concern is depreciation. It seems that the GT cars hold value very well. Any insight to either? Issues or things to look out for?
If sound is important, not saying it can't be done but I've yet to hear a Turbo even with some of the best after market exhausts that came close to the stock sound of a 997 GT3. Never mind 997 GT3's with even slightly modified exhausts. Just brutal but somehow not obnoxiously loud. And by "mostly on the street", are you talking about a daily driver commuting to work in traffic? The GT3 (except for the 991 with PDK) is a beast in every respect and I'm not sure it would be my first choice for that task.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:26 AM
Reedy26
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
If sound is important, not saying it can't be done but I've yet to hear a Turbo even with some of the best after market exhausts that came close to the stock sound of a 997 GT3. Never mind 997 GT3's with even slightly modified exhausts. Just brutal but somehow not obnoxiously loud. And by "mostly on the street", are you talking about a daily driver commuting to work in traffic? The GT3 (except for the 991 with PDK) is a beast in every respect and I'm not sure it would be my first choice for that task.

Not a Dailey driver by any means. My old car got driven once or twice a week. Cars & coffee, date nite type stuff.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:46 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

My $0.02.

Though they're both 997s, they're completely different cars and you have to drive both. Neither is really depreciating anymore.

For limited use car as you describe it would be used, I'd say GT3. I essentially have my C2S setup like a GT3 (suspension alignment, etc) but with more power because of the supercharger and more torque lower down in the Rev range, where it's more usable.

If anything happened to that car (accident) I would buy a turbo, do a RWD conversion, mod the suspension and be back pretty close to where I am now, and pocket the leftover insurance money. I think the rwd conversion can only easily be done in the .1 turbos, making 09 the perfect year for the Mezger engine and drive train, but 997.2 interior and PCM improvements. I don't like the driving dynamics of the AWD cars vs the RWD ones, especially for limited use and fun, spirited driving.

That being said, nothing compares to the GT3 motor. NA with that high redline is like having a Superbike motor in a car chassis.

But for me, the turbo with the fancier interior is my preference for the way I use my 997. Plus, I can't stand Alcantara (except on the roof), so in a GT3 I'd have to do a lot of interior parts replacement to leather and carbon.

With a PDK you'll stay in boost with the turbo during shifts, which will actually make it faster than a 6 speed version of the same car (the Tip in the turbo is actually faster too, but not the right transmission for a 911). That being said, you may not be able to get a PDK in a turbo until 2010, but I don't know. I'm a MT guy, so for me the 09 would be perfect.

You really can't lose either way.
MexicoBlueTurboS (07-19-2024)
Old 08-25-2019, 01:32 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
With a PDK you'll stay in boost with the turbo during shifts, which will actually make it faster than a 6 speed version of the same car (the Tip in the turbo is actually faster too, but not the right transmission for a 911). That being said, you may not be able to get a PDK in a turbo until 2010, but I don't know. I'm a MT guy, so for me the 09 would be perfect.

You really can't lose either way.
While we're in dreamland, there is a 997 GT2 for sale in Colorado Springs. Best of both worlds.

On the N/A cars, I test drove one with the TipS and was immediately turned off. No way I would own one in an N/A car and I would strongly prefer a manual in the 997.1 Turbo.

All the reviews I saw when the 997.1 Turbo came out when using a press car fitted with the TipS transmission were positive (and reviewer noted their surprise) and I think the reason is that the higher torque of the Turbo motor locks out the torque converter faster making it feel more responsive. One of the downsides to the N/A engine is that the torque builds with RPM and it is quite low on the bottom end and the transmission feels like an Auto in the worst way.

Back on topic, I love the N/A motor in my 997.2. I love the GT3, but for my own uses, I'd own the turbo. I like to take my car on road trips whether it be a couple hours to go visit family or a cross country trip. Also, I must have the roof rack and the GT3 roof doesn't have the mounts. The GT3 or GT3RS would be rather tiring for those purposes. If I owned 2 or 3 997s and could afford one, I'd gladly put a GT3 in the garage.

The Turbo can be modified with the GT3 suspension components or aftermarket to make it handle similar. And the AWD system could be disabled making it more similar to a GT2.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:04 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 786 Likes on 445 Posts
Cool

Not a Dailey driver by any means. My old car got driven once or twice a week. Cars & coffee, date nite type stuff.
The Turbo is definitely a better date nite car!!
EVOMMM (07-20-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 04:05 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

Got any investment tips? You nailed it with the 'manual' comment 5 years ago.

997 BAT history is insane.
Old 07-19-2024, 06:16 PM
ThunderRolls
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts

Two different animals. Got to drive them both and decide.
Old 07-20-2024, 03:26 PM
ER17
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm pretty sure you need both.
Porsche=you cane never have just one!
Old 07-21-2024, 10:45 PM
carguy999
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 79 Posts

When people say "drive both" do they usually just have buds with both? I'd never be able to find someone to let me drive their 997 GT3 lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by carguy999:
Hootsama (07-22-2024), Liste-Renn (07-21-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 11:30 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy999
When people say "drive both" do they usually just have buds with both? I'd never be able to find someone to let me drive their 997 GT3 lol.
Get cooler friends 😂

J/K.... Yeah, it's kind of like, if you have a gt3, other gt3 owners will swap with each other on drives.

Turbo and gt3 are pretty different animals. The gt3 is raw, loud, stiff and amazing. The turbo is fast as hell, more of a rocket cruiser. Depends on what you want.

Quick Reply: I cant decide! Turbo vs GT3!?!