997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB 997.2 C4S Manual Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2019 | 01:41 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Well done. Be sure to post a pic when it gets home.
Old 10-26-2019 | 01:30 AM
Rulaxin12
Rennlist Member

congrats on getting the car! Great thread to read!

I searched for the last 9 mos, looking for 997.1 or 997.2 c2s or c4s.. Found a bunch of .1 c2s low miles super clean in the $50k range in PA. Was about to pull the trigger on a basalt with terra-cotta but someone bought it before I could see it. I believe these things happen for a reason. I was pretty disappointed but then a 2010 c4s basalt with beige with 54k miles popped up and I quickly made the deal happen. As the dealer -who was awesome btw, held the car for me, he was getting offers for more than what they were asking..calls on the car non stop he says.. he held true and I got my car Monday morning this week!

Any of the places I spoke to when asked about .2s they all said they sell super fast. The ones I saw were typically mid to high 50s. I also have to say, I saw a bunch of .1s, two that had scoring, and engine work done. That def scared me. Also in the process the mechanics I spoke to while doing my diligence all said it’s just a matter of when not if the scoring happens.. now I can sleep better at night with the .2!!
Old 10-26-2019 | 09:38 AM
jkoravos
Pro

Originally Posted by Rulaxin12
congrats on getting the car! Great thread to read!

I searched for the last 9 mos, looking for 997.1 or 997.2 c2s or c4s.. Found a bunch of .1 c2s low miles super clean in the $50k range in PA. Was about to pull the trigger on a basalt with terra-cotta but someone bought it before I could see it. I believe these things happen for a reason. I was pretty disappointed but then a 2010 c4s basalt with beige with 54k miles popped up and I quickly made the deal happen. As the dealer -who was awesome btw, held the car for me, he was getting offers for more than what they were asking..calls on the car non stop he says.. he held true and I got my car Monday morning this week!

Any of the places I spoke to when asked about .2s they all said they sell super fast. The ones I saw were typically mid to high 50s. I also have to say, I saw a bunch of .1s, two that had scoring, and engine work done. That def scared me. Also in the process the mechanics I spoke to while doing my diligence all said it’s just a matter of when not if the scoring happens.. now I can sleep better at night with the .2!!
I looked at a 2001 that PPI'd with early bore scoring (only 28k miles). The shop I brought it to was a long time dedicated P-car chop. The lead engine builder has been building Porsche engines for 30 years, so he's had a lot of them apart. He said if it was his money he wouldn't buy anything watercooled before '09. That was all I need to switch gears from looking for 996s to 997.2s.
Old 10-27-2019 | 11:07 AM
63mercedes
Burning Brakes

I couldn't risk a .1 when the price gap was so close. It's too much risk. I know everyone has their own separate views, but I couldn't spend 45k-50k or so and risk the engine replacement bills. I'd have a heart attack to be honest. The .2 is the smarter bet. For an extra few grand I view it as much more of a safe haven. I'm happy with the purchase, the goal was to find a clean c4s at a fair price. I could have waited longer for a few more options but I don't think that kind of example could have been bought for less than 60-62K. Some of these people are pricing them very high. I would say any manual widebody .2 is in demand. So all in all, I payed pdk cabriolet money for a manual coupe, I'm happy with it.

Pros:
Clean bill of health with 37k miles
Fair Price of 55K
Illuminated door sills
Aluminum shifter with brake lever.
Factory Sport Exhaust
Ventilated seats

Cons:
No full leather
No Sport seats
No sport Chrono, I like the look of the dash without it and heard it doesn't do much for a manual anyway.

I will post pictures when it arrives and do a real thorough detailing. PPF could be in the near future.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in and helped me navigate myself to the right decision. I think I did alright given the current inventory out there and the budget. Thanks again everybody.
Old 10-27-2019 | 11:24 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Congratulations. Looks like you have found your ride after a long search. Enjoy and welcome to the club.
Old 10-28-2019 | 02:52 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 63mercedes
I couldn't risk a .1 when the price gap was so close. It's too much risk. I know everyone has their own separate views, but I couldn't spend 45k-50k or so and risk the engine replacement bills. I'd have a heart attack to be honest. The .2 is the smarter bet. For an extra few grand I view it as much more of a safe haven. I'm happy with the purchase, the goal was to find a clean c4s at a fair price. I could have waited longer for a few more options but I don't think that kind of example could have been bought for less than 60-62K. Some of these people are pricing them very high. I would say any manual widebody .2 is in demand. So all in all, I payed pdk cabriolet money for a manual coupe, I'm happy with it.

Pros:
Clean bill of health with 37k miles
Fair Price of 55K
Illuminated door sills
Aluminum shifter with brake lever.
Factory Sport Exhaust
Ventilated seats

Cons:
No full leather
No Sport seats
No sport Chrono, I like the look of the dash without it and heard it doesn't do much for a manual anyway.

I will post pictures when it arrives and do a real thorough detailing. PPF could be in the near future.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in and helped me navigate myself to the right decision. I think I did alright given the current inventory out there and the budget. Thanks again everybody.

Sounds like a good deal. At that price and mileage I assume it's a 2009. Had one of them except PDK. Great car. Very solid except for the PDK failure.

As for your "cons", full leather is nice. No discussion. Had it in the -09 C4S but don't have it in my current GTS and can't say it's something that bothers me every time I get in the car. Instead, a non issue now that never enters my mind. Can't speak for the sport seats since I had the plain standard seats (whatever the proper designation is) in the -06 C4S and then the GT2 buckets in the -09 C4S and the GTS. These are addictive unless you have a bad back or any other mobility issues.

For the sport chrono, I have no first hand experience of that either on a manual but the consensus seems to be that it's not a dramatic difference if you add it. Quicker throttle response is the most common description I've seen. I think it's about $1,000 installed which does not include the "clock" on the dash which isn't a clock to begin with but a worthless timer that nobody I ever heard of ever use anyway.
Old 10-28-2019 | 01:07 PM
jkoravos
Pro

The sport chrono clock is indeed useless. I do notice a bit of a different throttle/engine response in sport mode but I don't know if it's really anything worth worrying about.

Looking forward to pics!
Old 10-31-2019 | 12:27 AM
bheit1
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=GoldenGorilla;16066923]
We'll just agree to disagree. The C4S is fantastic in the snow and the widebody lines look great. And because I can. That said, the C2S is no slouch in the snow when properly treaded. Because tires are much more important than AWD. I'd feel comfortable driving a 2S, though I prefer the front end stability of the 4S.

This is my daily driver in CO. I maintain it well and I use it. I have a setup to wash the undercarriage and have a spigot in my heated garage if the weather is really bad for an extended time. The engine is made of Aluminum and the exhaust of stainless. They are reasonably resistant to corrosion. Most parts are reasonable and I woudln't have bought it if I couldn't afford the maintenance. I wouldn't do this with a GT2 or RS4.0. Those are actually rare and valuable cars. If I could afford one, I'd certainly drive and enjoy it, just not in the snow.

Its a car. A very fine car, but still just a car. I'll be done with it when the wheels fall off. Based on my experience so far, that's gonna be a long time.[/QUOT

If I was a billionaire I would not drive a 911 through salt. Any of them. And aluminum & electronics take a heavy toll from salt. To me it's the most beautiful and well engineered car on the planet. Maybe it's the way I was raised, but waste is sinful. You won't ever catch me saying it's just a car.
Old 10-31-2019 | 02:10 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jkoravos
The sport chrono clock is indeed useless. I do notice a bit of a different throttle/engine response in sport mode but I don't know if it's really anything worth worrying about.

Looking forward to pics!

Just curious. The manual version of sport chrono comes with sport mode but not sport plus mode as for the PDK cars. Right or wrong?
Old 10-31-2019 | 08:37 AM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Just curious. The manual version of sport chrono comes with sport mode but not sport plus mode as for the PDK cars. Right or wrong?
Correct - my manual S w / sport chrono has Sport Mode button and PASM button next to it, no sport plus button like my prior PDK trans.
Old 10-31-2019 | 11:44 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 63mercedes
A little update. I bought the white manual that was for sale on PCA. The PPI was done at SpeedSport in CT. They gave everything a clean bill of health. A few minor things need to be sorted like the cabin air filter, and new side marker lights as the existing ones have some condensation in them. Everything went well. The car should be delivered early next week. As much as I love searching for needles in a haystack I'm glad it's done and time to enjoy the car when it arrives.
Congrats on your purchase. I love how the red reflector across the back on the C4S really pops on a white car. I have a an extra set of new never opened factory clear front side markers if you need a pair.

Quick Reply: WTB 997.2 C4S Manual Coupe