Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price premium, or discount, on a 997.1 with a rebuilt engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019 | 09:50 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

I'd pay a bit of a premium given that when these are normally rebuilt, if done by a reputable shop, they are done with IMS Solution. So given, I just paid over $4k to get my IMS solution done, id pay a little premium for that if I were looking today. And given it is a 4.0 vs a 3.8, i'd also pay a bit more. I am not sure it makes sense to pay anything over $5k though, as that is starting to get into base .2 prices, that don't have an IMS issue.
Old 08-21-2019 | 01:47 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jkoravos
Just getting people's thoughts on this. I've seen a few out there. It's tempting to jump on a 4.0 rebuild but I don't have enough experience with rebuilds to understand the specific issues that come along with it. Clearly some will be better than others but for the purpose of this thread lets assume the rebuild is from a well known entity.

Would you pay MORE or LESS for an 3.8>4.0 rebuild on a C2S/C4S?

As you and others have said, who did the rebuild and the cost of it would be crucial to my decision. Also, what's considered a "well known entity"? A large Porsche dealership in a large city will be a well known entity but how many 4.0 rebuilds have they done? Just me but I would pick a 4.0 done by Flat 6 over one done by a Porsche dealership.

There was a recent thread of someone being offered a rebuild for $15,000. I've never heard of any of the reputable re builders being anywhere close to that even for a 3.8. Isn't a 4.0 rebuild by the best ones closer to $25,000? To answer your question, I would pay a small premium for a 4.0 vs. a 3.8 rebuild given that it was done by a well known shop with a history of these kind of rebuilds and that the final tab was well over $15,000. "The discount Porsche engine rebuilder. Why overpay". No thanks.
Old 08-21-2019 | 07:24 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

I think you have 3 kinds of Porsche buyers:

1. Buyers who know nothing about the car. Not see the benefit of rebuild - Happy if it starts and not interested in getting PPI/etc and just want a Porsche.
2. Those who know the car, understand or can live with minor accident damage on Carfax as long as repairs/paint work was done professionally and would take more of an interest in a car w/rebuilt engine due to understanding it's value.
3. **** types who would never buy a P-car unless it is perfect, perfect Carfax and no rebuilt engine. They would see the rebuild as an issue or problem and not see the benefit.
Old 08-21-2019 | 09:09 AM
f911
Racer

Originally Posted by Fined
I would be willing to pay a small premium but only if there were at least 2-3k miles on the rebuild, documentation of the build, and a dyno sheet. I would also likely be looking for some more info in a PPI relating to engine health.

But to be plain about it.. I'd probably just spend whatever money I had on a 997.2 in either case. Unless the 997.1 was going to be around $30k then I can see how it would make sense if all else was good.
997.2 is not bulletproof and some 997.2 need (and most likely will) "rebuild" in one sense or another.
IMS that exists in 997.1 does not require "rebuilding" but only reinforcement and in later models of 997.1 many experts do not know that there is no need to replace / strengthen the IMS.
997.1TT / GT3 997.1 This is another story. Bulletproof engine.
I would pay more for 4.0 if there is documentation and it was built in a familiar workshop.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Price premium, or discount, on a 997.1 with a rebuilt engine?