Sponsored by:

997.2 with 3 owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2019 | 11:19 PM
BuddyPT
AutoX

Default 997.2 with 3 owners

Hello all,
Considering a 2011 997.2 S with 18,000 miles, in what appears to be immaculate condition. CPO’d before recent owner. Well documented, clean Carfax etc. My question, it has had 3 owners. Does this sound strange to anyone? Most recent owner only for 2 years. PPI of course before I decide. Any thoughts? Thanks as always!
Old 08-17-2019 | 11:21 PM
LISsailor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BuddyPT
Hello all,
Considering a 2011 997.2 S with 18,000 miles, in what appears to be immaculate condition. CPO’d before recent owner. Well documented, clean Carfax etc. My question, it has had 3 owners. Does this sound strange to anyone? Most recent owner only for 2 years. PPI of course before I decide. Any thoughts? Thanks as always!
Its not strange as these cars are usually spare/toys and tastes change.
The following users liked this post:
BuddyPT (08-17-2019)
Old 08-18-2019 | 02:04 AM
snaphappy
Pro

My car had four owners and it’s lovely. The guy who owned it before me only had it 5 months and then he was diagnosed with cancer. Things happen. Lots of owners isn’t the red flag that it used to be.
BuddyPT (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019 | 02:42 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

my car had 3 owners before me and 16k on the odo. It was minty for a 12 year old car for sure. I am assuming it was a 2nd car/garage queen for every owner before me. The dude who was selling it was selling it because he claimed to be too old to be getting in and out of it anymore.
BuddyPT (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019 | 02:52 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Just depends on the owners.
BuddyPT (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019 | 04:52 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by snaphappy
My car had four owners and it’s lovely. The guy who owned it before me only had it 5 months and then he was diagnosed with cancer. Things happen. Lots of owners isn’t the red flag that it used to be.

Right on. I never understood this widely held concern that the number of owners is a red flag. There are so many variables and circumstances that it can drive you mad trying to figure out the history. Cars transfer between dealerships. Leases come into play and the list goes on.

Why isn't a good PPI by a reputable dealer or an equally reputable indy combined with solid maintenance records better than the opinions of individuals on a forum like this? I just don't get it. I've said this before and I'll say it again. I've seen one owner cars with next to no maintenance records that looked like they've been to hell and back and I've bought 997's with three owners that were next to flawless with complete maint. records from the day they were bought. So what's more important? The number of owners or the actual history and condition of the car including maintenance records? Some seem to think more than two owners is a non starter all other things considered.
BuddyPT (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019 | 08:53 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

What annoys me is that there is no communication between dealers for service information, so unless all the owners used the same dealer for service
you can be hard pressed to get accurate service information!!!
I complained to PCNA because I went to a new dealer for a free check and they recommended a bunch of services I had already done at another dealer!
BuddyPT (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019 | 10:55 AM
street rod
Drifting

For a car of this age 3 owners is not unusual at all and if everything else checks out would not even factor into my decision. Former CPO is a plus. Good luck with potential purchase and put up some pics if you buy it.
BuddyPT (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019 | 12:41 PM
stripersteve
Instructor

3 owners is not a lot. My recent purchase had 3 owners , and the car looks and runs new. Previous owner was wealthy and decided to get a Ferrari ! For a lot of folks, the novelty wears off in a couple years, and they want to look for something else. Sometimes the fun is in the research and acquisition phase as much as the driving phase.
BuddyPT (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019 | 02:03 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

The key to getting a used car is that you have to be a bit resourceful when it comes to fixing little issues. Other than NOT having any major mishaps Porsches are pretty easy to work on for garage DIYers. Heck, even new cars come with fixes that require trips to the dealers.
BuddyPT (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019 | 02:25 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

My 997.2S had 4 owners prior to me, that car had some problems and was CPO. My GT3 had 5 owners before me, but was enthusiast owned. All owners were on Rennlist, except maybe the first, who may have been on Rennlist, but I just couldn't find. The owner prior to me only sold it because I had asked him if he would be interested in selling and after the right number, he agreed. The owner before him owned it for 6 months then bought a 991 GT3 which he ended up not liking as much.

As someone else said, it depends more on the owner than how many owners. You can have one really bad owner, but some people will be all over that car thinking it was only a one owner. You could have 6 owners and it could be all enthusiasts who have multiple cars and just like to try new cars.
BuddyPT (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019 | 04:15 PM
larrysb
Racer

My car changed hands several times, starting out on the dealer lot for a year before it was leased to the first own. Wasn't a cream puff, but I had a good look at it up on a rack at the Hyundai dealer who I bought it from and it looked like mostly honest wear and tear. Some curb rash, lots of little nicks, scratched interior door handles and a significant coffee spill at some point.

But I bought it to drive, not to polish. Have done a little work on it, no big surprises other than one of the front rims had a slight bend in it.

Three owners - no big deal.

Unless you're looking for your unicorn, one-owner, lavishly maintained and rarely driven on a broom-swept-dry-road-only car. They're out there, but why? These cars are meant to be driven. They're happier being driven and enjoyed.
BuddyPT (08-18-2019)

Quick Reply: 997.2 with 3 owners