Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather on door repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2019 | 01:03 AM
nicholascanada
Pro

Default Leather on door repair

Looking at a 997.2 that has two areas (about 8” x 2”)on the door without grain, ie they are smooth and obviously repaired. Anyone come across this before on a car and might this be from some typed accident or why would you need to repair patches on a door? Door and handle also have some wear and are dirty FYI. Thanks.

ps picture below shows one of the rectangle areas that has no grain.
Old 08-16-2019 | 01:22 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

It might be from someone like Fibranew or something repairing the leather just from fingernail scratches or something. The areas you mentioned seem to get clawed at by people at times struggling to get in and out of such a low car. ...just a thought.
Old 08-16-2019 | 01:51 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I’d would just look on eBay. Seen whole doors skins for $300.
Old 08-16-2019 | 10:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Probably female wedding ring or male large bezel watch damage would be the reason for a repair in those areas being required.
Old 08-16-2019 | 11:04 AM
krautmeister
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petza914
Probably female wedding ring or male large bezel watch damage would be the reason for a repair in those areas being required.
These watches are hazardous
The following users liked this post:
MexicoBlueTurboS (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019 | 11:05 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Contact your local Porsche approved body shop and ask them who they use for interior repair. I had a small interior leather "tear" near the window. A quarter sized piece had lifted up but not gone through entirely. They outsourced the repair to their local guy who fixed in magically! Can't even tell work was done to it. Total cost was around $150.
Old 08-16-2019 | 12:01 PM
krautmeister
Instructor

To clean leather, sometimes even just a damp microfiber cloth works well to get dirt off. Use a high quality "Terry" weave. You'll feel the cloth "catch" on your skin, which are the little fibers that will grab the dirt. I usually clean steering wheels with a damp cloth - you would be very surprised on how much dirt comes off the leather!
Old 08-16-2019 | 04:47 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by krautmeister
These watches are hazardous
I take my watch off when I go to drive my 911. Mainly because my acrobatics to get in the car without causing bolster wear have me using my left forearm as a brace.

I still don't know how to get in and out of the car and look cool doing it.
Old 08-16-2019 | 05:01 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
I take my watch off when I go to drive my 911. Mainly because my acrobatics to get in the car without causing bolster wear have me using my left forearm as a brace.

I still don't know how to get in and out of the car and look cool doing it.
There's a YouTube video I didn't think I'd have to make. "How to smoothly enter and exit your 997 and look cool doing it." It pretty much comes down to using your left hand on the door sill, both to prop yourself off the seat bolster on the way in and to help pivot yourself on the way out.
Old 08-16-2019 | 05:57 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by semicycler
Contact your local Porsche approved body shop and ask them who they use for interior repair. I had a small interior leather "tear" near the window. A quarter sized piece had lifted up but not gone through entirely. They outsourced the repair to their local guy who fixed in magically! Can't even tell work was done to it. Total cost was around $150.

+1 ... These dealers tweak the crap out of used and even new vehicles... if we only knew what really happened to them before we got em.

But... being the contrarian I am... I would just blast down a few beers, lick my thumb and rub... rub the leather that is.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-16-2019 | 06:05 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

A good leather repairman can fix that so it is unrecognizable in just a couple of hours, and that includes time for BS-ing with you while doing it. No need to replace any panels.
Old 08-16-2019 | 06:22 PM
krautmeister
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petza914
There's a YouTube video I didn't think I'd have to make. "How to smoothly enter and exit your 997 and look cool doing it." It pretty much comes down to using your left hand on the door sill, both to prop yourself off the seat bolster on the way in and to help pivot yourself on the way out.
not to hijack too much on the OP on a tangent...

the other day I dropped a bottle of wine that was to be a gift to a colleague as I was getting out of the car... the bottle bounced and took a little chip out of the corner but didn't break, but rolled under the car...in which I had to back the car up and retrieve the bottle. This happened all as a bystander was watching me struggle to get out of my car and witnessed this whole circus in my office garage.... not a "suave" Porsche moment LOL
Old 08-17-2019 | 02:32 AM
nicholascanada
Pro

Originally Posted by golftime
A good leather repairman can fix that so it is unrecognizable in just a couple of hours, and that includes time for BS-ing with you while doing it. No need to replace any panels.
Apparently dealership has one so you are that confident? That would be great if they could.
Old 08-19-2019 | 08:52 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

I can't vouch for your dealer's choice but can tell you I have used an independent who does both high end cars as well as high end furniture and had much larger spots fixed, and no one has ever been able to see the work.

Quick Reply: Leather on door repair