Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Targa Windshield - Any downsides?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 11:44 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Replace Targa Windshield - Any downsides?

Looking at 997.2 Targa that is amazing other than some pitted spots on the windshield.

i was going to consider the vehicle and replace the windshield with OEM one.

i recall some mentioning that it might be better to just leave it as it could cause you grief with leaks, rattles etc.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:47 AM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

No downside to replacing a windshield unless the installer is extremely incapable (unlikely). I typically replace windshields in my DDs every 2 years on average, and have never had a problem. Don’t bother going to a dealer to it done. Dealers just sub out the work to glass shops.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:32 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a post somewhere with conjecture regarding the front windshield and leaks. I would tell you to just check the seal after the work is done. If you find my post you can see the pictures of the seals and where water/air/noise can intrude.

My dealer said they would could order a new OEM seal and OEM glass but they just sub out the actual glass work like jaws1 said. I'm sure you can request OEM seals/glass from a glass replacement company as well if you go that route?

Mine had glass replacement done a few years before I bought it. I can't comment on the parts used or if they contributed to the apparent failure in my scenario.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:18 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I replace mine when the pits are on the driver's side in my field of vision. If they are elsewhere, you might wait if there are no cracks. Get low deductible comprehensive and let your insurance pick up the tab when that small rock hits, and it will. They might just pay for some non-oem glass, but 70% of the cost beats zero.

Ask your independent mechanic where they send cars, as well as a few local Porsche dealers.The service guys will often tell you who they use. Check Yelp for comments on installers.

+1 on OEM glass and seal. A must.

I would not drive the car for several hours after replacement. Some shops say one hour, but it can not hurt to let it sit at the shop overnight.

Last, never use Safelite...

Last edited by Tsilnner; 08-13-2019 at 04:23 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-13-2019, 04:20 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 786 Likes on 445 Posts

when you guys replace windshields, do you use OEM glass or aftermarket?
Old 08-13-2019, 05:30 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Use OEM glass. I replaced mine at 16,000 miles for pitting reasons. The 997 is easy to replace by a competent glass shop and it’s like any modern car as far as installation is concerned. It’s not a tricky fubar job that requires an Einstein like the 993. My 997 was perfectly done.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:20 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

2009 C2S 139K

Replacing glass due to pitting is a safety issue. I am getting pretty close to replacing mine.... starry starry night.... I hate that song and I hate pitted glass. Check your insurer as some will do it for "Free". Seriously, worth a call.

I won't repeat my stories... google is your friend... but OEM glass ONLY for me, Safelight can be crooks.... Dealer only for replacements. Lotsa stories here, but I don't want to retype tons of vitriol.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Trending Topics

Old 08-14-2019, 12:53 AM
nicholascanada
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 141 Posts

Thanks everyone. Seems like it is not a big deal then on the 997.2. I am thought I might be crazy for wanting to replace it but sounds not as much as I thought lol.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:11 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

I was told that windshields are like batteries. Only a few companies make batteries in the world, same with windshields. No real difference in the glass or antennas, heaters, etc. Now the seal is a different story. Get the Porsche seal for sure.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:49 AM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

The OEM windshield is St Gobain and I would require that brand. I'm not a believer in all glass is equal quality. Go through enough of them out here and have definitely noticed some brands perform better than others over the years.

I decided to try something else and considered noting that in this thread earlier. I'm glad I waited until after my experiment though. I have lots of micro-pits in my windshield. I decided to try a glass polish. 2.3 microns is equivalent to 9000 grit in sandpaper terms and I wasn't sure it would work. I used the 2.3 micron compound on my Rupes LR21 with a felt glass polishing pad. It made a slight improvement, but certainly not worth the effort. With 15 passes I think I took out about 20% of the smallest pits. The pads and the polish (50mL in 2.3um and 1.2um) was about $30, so not too expensive to try it.

Silicon carbide is hard enough to cut glass and I'm having the windshield in my Jeep Rubicon replaced Friday. I think I'll ask for the old one to do some experimentation on it. Wet sanding 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000 and then stepping to the polish could probably work. On the other hand, I obviously don't want to thin the windshield too much.

I think the glass polish would do a really nice job as a final polish step in a headlight restoration and will probably give that a try on my wife's car with dremel with a felt wheel.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:22 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I am currently living through this. Mine is being replaced by the dealership on Friday 30th. I asked this forum about where I should take it and was coached to have the dealership be my only choice. Leith Porsche does not work w/ State Farm. I have to pay and State Farm will send me a check. State Farm told me that the estimate that I proved was too high so they have to send it to one of their departments that bids on finding lower prices. So if they could find a company that would do the install for let’s just say 1k they would tell me to go kick rocks. The bidding department told State Farm to just let the dealership handle the install because there would be no company that would want to take on the job. I am attaching my estimate. State Farm has already mailed me the check so all that I will be out is our $50 deductible.

2005 C2S MT

Hello Mr. Clinton,

Here's an itemized estimate for the windshield replacement on your 2005 911:

Windshield: $914.80
Adhesive for rearview mirror: $38.56
Outer seal for around windshield: $165.73
Adhesive for windshield itself: $371.66
Total parts: $1490.75

Labor: $842.70
Shop charges: $34.13

Subtotal: $2367.58
Taxes: $171.65

Total: $2539.23

Chris Cossey
Leith Porsche
Service Advisor and Porsche Brand Ambassador
(919) 469-2699

Old 08-22-2019, 11:52 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 415 Posts

Before declaring defeat and getting new glass, recommend polishing windshield with orbital and polisher. Can make major difference. Worth a try.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:54 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,912 Likes on 2,902 Posts

Seller of the 2007 997S I purchased out of Houston 2 months ago had the windshield replaced thru his insurance company a week before I had the car shipped.
No problems when drowning seals with heavy jet spray out of hose during washing.
I tried like hell to cause a leak from all angles and tight as a Porsche buyers butt hole.

Quick Reply: Replace Targa Windshield - Any downsides?