Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 clutch failed 6 months warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 06:36 PM
Steve Laurence
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 clutch failed 6 months warranty?

Hi guys. I was after some info. I recently picked up my first Porsche. A 2005 997.1 base 3.6 model with full Porsche service history and a 6 month warranty from cridfords (Porsche dealer in Surrey). The car had 69k miles and was in good order.
As it had 6 months major mechanical failure warranty added to the deal, I wanted to put some miles on it so any faults may be brought To bear. So far I’ve Covered a trip to York, general driving and just done a trip to Bournemouth. In all I’ve put 1k miles on since buying it. Really enjoying the car but on the trip to Bournemouth the clutch became very heavy and almost unable to shift and put it in first or reverse.

So it looks the clutch has gone. I know clutch would be seen as a wear item but after just 6 weeks of ownership to have the clutch go I was wandering if I have any come back on this.

Cridfords have offered parts and labour at half price which is around £1200 reduced to £600 for the job. Just thought I’d ask if I should be pushing this as “should of been checked by them before sale” or am I just unlucky and pay the £600.
advice welcome cheers.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:27 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Self adjusting clutches are often hard to tell they are going bad until they do. I'd be happy with 1/2 price. I'm surprised they did anything except tell you that it's a wear item and not covered
Old 08-22-2019, 10:13 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

I believe Base's dont have the self adjusting clutch (?) Either way take the 50% - you don't know how much wear was on the clutch anyway at 69K and I'm not sure how they would've known without physically inspecting it. Its overall decent of them to offer- they also don't know how you drove it over the 1k miles and apparently you didn't notice anything obvious over the 1k.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:17 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
I believe Base's dont have the self adjusting clutch (?) Either way take the 50% - you don't know how much wear was on the clutch anyway at 69K and I'm not sure how they would've known without physically inspecting it. Its overall decent of them to offer- they also don't know how you drove it over the 1k miles and apparently you didn't notice anything obvious over the 1k.

I think you're right. The 3.8 had self adjusting but not the 3.6 so any excessive clutch wear should have been evident at the time of purchase. Unless something just failed or failed partially after the purchase. All said, I agree with Sporty. Given the circumstances, take the 50% off and move on. At 69K miles it was due anyway for most 997's with that kind of mileage unless most of those miles were highway miles.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:11 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Take the half price deal, get it done, problem solved for a long time.

Quick Reply: 997 clutch failed 6 months warranty?