Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Spacers on lowered 911

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 09:03 AM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Not one mention of scrub radius here? If your all about the Starbucks parking lot then it doesn’t matter. If you want optimal handling (it is actually a 911) then you need to calculate scrub radius.
The following users liked this post:
kru911 (08-11-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 03:39 PM
Porto911
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Miamirice
Not one mention of scrub radius here? If your all about the Starbucks parking lot then it doesn’t matter. If you want optimal handling (it is actually a 911) then you need to calculate scrub radius.
I’m hoping for a bit of both worlds. Looks are important to me but keeping the true feeling and Performance of the 911 should not go unattended.

i have Ohlins coilovers lowered to the max.
front- 235/35R19 91Y
rear -285/30R19 98Y

Spacers=
front- 10mm
rear -15mm

your thoughts?
Old 08-08-2019, 08:22 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Porto911
I’m hoping for a bit of both worlds. Looks are important to me but keeping the true feeling and Performance of the 911 should not go unattended.

i have Ohlins coilovers lowered to the max.
front- 235/35R19 91Y
rear -285/30R19 98Y

Spacers=
front- 10mm
rear -15mm

your thoughts?
I am not yet a flat 6 owner. If it goes well, I will be bringing home a 997.1 with 72k on the clock next week. It has the lobster fork wheels, I am one of the odd ***** that actually likes those. So I don’t have an answer yet but might be digging into it next weak.

I am a “function over form” guy but if I can throw spacers on with no detriment I too will be looking to do this.

I was amazed at testing some crappy race cars in the past that we ended up learning:

wider track not always better
wider tires not always faster
Old 08-09-2019, 03:07 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

I agree on the 2-3 mm being not Relevant for most and more of a mental satisfaction for a few. I will post pictures in a couple weeks.

One thing about this great website, it’s gives you information, knowledge but also confidence for guys like me to go ahead with small projects!
Go for it. The only way spacers could hurt your car is if you mount them with the stock length wheel bolts Most who sell spacer sets include the longer bolts needed but not all based on what I've read. So again, do not mount them with the shorter bolts that are on your car now.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:38 AM
Porto911
Instructor

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Go for it. The only way spacers could hurt your car is if you mount them with the stock length wheel bolts Most who sell spacer sets include the longer bolts needed but not all based on what I've read. So again, do not mount them with the shorter bolts that are on your car now.
I agree

i ordered the the spacer kits through ECS Tunning which comes with the proper size lug bolts.

took the girl out for a little run yesterday evening and those wheels definitely need to come out a little! Lol
Old 08-15-2019, 11:19 PM
Porto911
Instructor

As I wait for spacers to arrive shortly and get ready to install them myself. Should I use Anti seize lubricant between spacers and hub? And also put just a little on the first half of lug bolts treading?

911 will see about 5000km a summer only, with no snow and rain. Might make a difference on decision with lubricant

Thanks
Old 08-16-2019, 03:46 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

I agree

i ordered the the spacer kits through ECS Tunning which comes with the proper size lug bolts.

took the girl out for a little run yesterday evening and those wheels definitely need to come out a little! Lol
We're talking mm which doesn't sound like much but it makes a difference in the stance you'll love.

As I wait for spacers to arrive shortly and get ready to install them myself. Should I use Anti seize lubricant between spacers and hub? And also put just a little on the first half of lug bolts treading?

911 will see about 5000km a summer only, with no snow and rain. Might make a difference on decision with lubricant

Thanks
Sorry. Had the dealer mount all my spacer conversations so I don't have a good answer to this. Maybe someone else can chime in.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:06 PM
Porto911
Instructor

ECS Tuning spacers arrived and installed. Great looking product, easy to install and staff was helpful. 911 looks great and I’m happy I went with 15mm/10mm..

would like to thank all who got involved in the conversation and helped me..

Old 08-28-2019, 08:28 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

Good for you, happy you go it done. Was silently following your thread.

I also am on the fence.

For 1, my targa 4 ain't dropped and that is basically out of the question since I'd rub and scratch every day as I enter my street which has a steep incline. Right now I'm ok at an angle, but with the smallest drop, I'd rub then too.

For 2, since I am not dropped and won't be, I am worried that bringing the tires further out would make the fender gap look even bigger.

But if I go ahead, it will likely be 5mm front and 10mm rear.

I am in Ottawa btw. Where are you located??
Old 08-29-2019, 12:59 AM
Porto911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steph1

I also am on the fence.

For 1, my targa 4 ain't dropped and that is basically out of the question since I'd rub and scratch every day as I enter my street which has a steep incline. Right now I'm ok at an angle, but with the smallest drop, I'd rub then too.

For 2, since I am not dropped and won't be, I am worried that bringing the tires further out would make the fender gap look even bigger.

Thanks...

yay not sure what to say. Going 10mm/5mm sounds like a safe choice and you will notice the difference. it’ll look great with the 4 wide backend.

Im in Edmonton
Old 08-29-2019, 01:23 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

I also am on the fence.

Haven't tried that configuration and not sure if I've seen it or not but I tend to think you're right. If you don't drop it I can't imagine that spacers would do much to the overall stance. But then on second thought, maybe just getting the wheels/tires flush with the fenders would be an improvement.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:33 AM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Yeah, might try it. But as Porto911 said, up here in Canada, by the time the parts get here with the US-CAN exchange rate, duty fees and shipping (cause we NEVER get free shipping like in the States) prices almost double the US advertised price. So it wouldn't be a cheap "just to try it" move.
The following users liked this post:
kru911 (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 12:17 PM
Porto911
Instructor

Yeah, might try it. But as Porto911 said, up here in Canada, by the time the parts get here with the US-CAN exchange rate, duty fees and shipping (cause we NEVER get free shipping like in the States) prices almost double the US advertised price. So it wouldn't be a cheap "just to try it" move.
Yes...

I luck out with my purchase. Sister was in Phoenix for holidays and had spacers sent to her renal home with free delivery and no taxes at all.. all in $250us/ $320can

you know Steph, idea would be to order 15mm/10mm and try it out and hopefully works! If not keep the 10mm for rear, order 5mm for fronts. You will have no problem selling the 15mm (very popular size)

if you lowered your 911 just a little, you'll stiff your suspension at the same time and will make up for scraping the ground.. and a sharper look
Old 08-29-2019, 04:40 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Yes...

I luck out with my purchase. Sister was in Phoenix for holidays and had spacers sent to her renal home with free delivery and no taxes at all.. all in $250us/ $320can

you know Steph, idea would be to order 15mm/10mm and try it out and hopefully works! If not keep the 10mm for rear, order 5mm for fronts. You will have no problem selling the 15mm (very popular size)

if you lowered your 911 just a little, you'll stiff your suspension at the same time and will make up for scraping the ground.. and a sharper look

Mmmmm.... you might have a point my friend, that and the fact that the track width would be wider might also help the rubbing at an angle.

I had started my own thread regarding spacers, but it ended up unconclusive, leaving me on the fence.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:37 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 786 Likes on 445 Posts

from my understanding, lower = more camber as you lower. That is why dumpy boiz carz look so sik when they are slammed down. Spacers reverse some of that camber IMO.
I can post same ride height before after 5mm spacers if you're interested but I don't want to pollute your thread with more pics. of my car. I do feel like lowered on GT3 wheels with no spacers had less wheel gap in LOOK than GT3 wheels with 5mm spacers but it is hard to tell.

Also, I noticed with no suspension mods, for how high I was riding, I was surprised at how much my car scraped on steeper driveways.
By scrape I mean that rubber spoiler that hangs down below the bumper.
I figured when I got my Eibach pro kit, that I would scrape even more but because the spings were marginally stiffer, I did not scrape more BUT I did still scrape on most driveways in LA.
The weird thing is, when I swapped out to the OEM 997.1 GT3 coilovers and was even lower than with Eibachs, I stopped scraping on all but the most steep driveways.
I am assuming this is more because of the stiffness of the suspension.

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers on lowered 911