Sponsored by:

Sure this has been asked before - first 997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2019 | 02:00 PM
faustiano
AutoX

Default Sure this has been asked before - first 997 Turbo

Hi All,
I am sure this has been asked before, but I have not been able to find it yet, so I thought I would ask...

I am thinking about purchasing a 2009 997.1 Turbo with 50K miles on it, and I am a little concerned about using it as a daily driver. I know many people have these cars as daily drivers, and I wanted to know if anyone has anxiety about driving them and concerned about them breaking down. I realize that this car is now 10 years old with relatively low miles, but I would be concerned that things would start to "fail" on the car now that it is getting up in years. Am I just being a worried wart?
Old 07-28-2019 | 02:35 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

If it has tiptronic and passes a PPI, I would buy it. The turbo engine is a lot stronger than the NA and the tiptronic is very strong, so your 2 biggest items are covered. You do have more moving parts that will eventually need replacing, but they won't break the bank.
Old 07-28-2019 | 02:46 PM
faustiano
AutoX

Originally Posted by Balr14
If it has tiptronic and passes a PPI, I would buy it. The turbo engine is a lot stronger than the NA and the tiptronic is very strong, so your 2 biggest items are covered. You do have more moving parts that will eventually need replacing, but they won't break the bank.
Thanks for the quick response. This is actually a manual, which is the primary reason I am looking at it. I love manual transmissions and I am sad they are slowly going away.

This is coming from a Porsche Dealership where they have been servicing this car for the last 10 years. It has a PPI which they perform when they have used inventory. The owner has now upgraded to a new 911 and he was an elderly man (or so they say).

I am aware of the DME. But they have not run that yet.

So so far the car is site unseen by me and I need to fly out to see it, but I know it won’t last too long.
Old 07-28-2019 | 03:00 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

09 manuals are very sought after. I half-daily my 07 TT tiptronic and love it. These cars will have issues, but the most important thing is to make sure the coolant lines have been pinned or welded especially if you plan on tracking. Get an overrev report which will give you an idea of how to car was used to date. Otherwise the Mezger engines just go and go. Mine has 118k miles on it. Of course, for a ten year old car, you may need to budget in replacement of rubber parts and gaskets, but that can usually be done over time.

Don't depend on the dealership inspection. If you want this car, you need to get your own PPI, preferably by a shop that knows turbos inside and out.
Old 07-28-2019 | 03:26 PM
faustiano
AutoX

Originally Posted by jeebus31
09 manuals are very sought after. I half-daily my 07 TT tiptronic and love it. These cars will have issues, but the most important thing is to make sure the coolant lines have been pinned or welded especially if you plan on tracking. Get an overrev report which will give you an idea of how to car was used to date. Otherwise the Mezger engines just go and go. Mine has 118k miles on it. Of course, for a ten year old car, you may need to budget in replacement of rubber parts and gaskets, but that can usually be done over time.

Don't depend on the dealership inspection. If you want this car, you need to get your own PPI, preferably by a shop that knows turbos inside and out.
Thanks for the feedback. Just curious why you feel the dealerships PPI is not dependable. I thought most people that wanted to get a PPI on a used car would take it to the dealer.

BTW, 118K is amazing! Glad to hear that. I am not tracking the car. I am pretty easy on my cars... just like to have the power every once in a while.
Old 07-28-2019 | 03:30 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Unless they give you powertrain protection for a few years, I agree that you should get your own PPI done.
The following users liked this post:
MexicoBlueTurboS (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019 | 04:19 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

EXACTLY what Steph1 wrote above. If everything is solid they will back it up with a warranty.

Turbos aren't new technology anymore - most of the bugs have been worked out.

Just get all of the maintenance done or better yet, have the dealer do it before you take delivery.

Both time and mileage - Clicking on this link will either open a PDF or download to your desktop the Porsche PDF with all of the listed items.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8ILQ7sE2ihdpBT
Old 07-28-2019 | 04:53 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by faustiano
Just curious why you feel the dealerships PPI is not dependable. I thought most people that wanted to get a PPI on a used car would take it to the dealer.
You would take it to a different dealer or independent shop, not the dealer selling the car. An extended warranty on a 10 year old Porsche with 50k miles would be expensive. But a Fidelity drive train warranty would be a reasonable consideration.
Old 07-29-2019 | 01:22 AM
faustiano
AutoX

Originally Posted by Balr14
You would take it to a different dealer or independent shop, not the dealer selling the car. An extended warranty on a 10 year old Porsche with 50k miles would be expensive. But a Fidelity drive train warranty would be a reasonable consideration.
Thanks everyone for the comments. I will ask the dealer to help me take the car to an independent down the road to perform the PPI. Fingers crossed!
Old 07-29-2019 | 02:59 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by faustiano
Thanks for the feedback. Just curious why you feel the dealerships PPI is not dependable. I thought most people that wanted to get a PPI on a used car would take it to the dealer.

BTW, 118K is amazing! Glad to hear that. I am not tracking the car. I am pretty easy on my cars... just like to have the power every once in a while.

The dealership has a car they want to sell, getting as much money as they can from it. What are the odds that the dealership's own PPI will be as subjective and honest as a third party PPI who could care less if you buy the car or not? Next to zero would be my guess. Would you buy a house from someone who gave you an inspection report of the house he put together himself?
MexicoBlueTurboS (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019 | 01:08 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

I agree with a lot of the above comments. I would even go so far as to say that I would not even trust the "previous owner was an elderly man" comment. The car will probably be fine, but I have seen a few "elderly men" money shift at the track .... just saying
Old 07-29-2019 | 03:02 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

I just bought a 2009 Turbo MT cab last month.Get aPPI and review the service records well.I also bought a Fidelity warranty for peace of mind.
MexicoBlueTurboS (07-30-2019)
Old 07-29-2019 | 04:22 PM
faustiano
AutoX

So I am calling around some places for a PPI in NorCal as suggested in some other threads, and curious how much the PPI should cost. I was under the impression. They were under $200, but I am getting quotes for Well over $350. Is that normal?
Old 07-29-2019 | 04:28 PM
911andchips
Advanced

Definitely second a warranty. I have a 2011 gts that had a good ppi. But 8 months later the seals on the steering rack failed. The warranty covered the replacement rack.
Old 07-29-2019 | 04:55 PM
faustiano
AutoX

Originally Posted by Jaskfri
I just bought a 2009 Turbo MT cab last month.Get aPPI and review the service records well.I also bought a Fidelity warranty for peace of mind.
Originally Posted by 911andchips
Definitely second a warranty. I have a 2011 gts that had a good ppi. But 8 months later the seals on the steering rack failed. The warranty covered the replacement rack.
Curious how much you both paid for the Protection Plan with Fidelity, and for how long/how many miles? I would be interested.

Quick Reply: Sure this has been asked before - first 997 Turbo