Sponsored by:

Sure this has been asked before - first 997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 10:25 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by faustiano
So I am calling around some places for a PPI in NorCal as suggested in some other threads, and curious how much the PPI should cost. I was under the impression. They were under $200, but I am getting quotes for Well over $350. Is that normal?
A PPI on a modern P-car will be at least $250 - $350. Being in CA, probably even higher.

Curious how much you both paid for the Protection Plan with Fidelity, and for how long/how many miles? I would be interested.
I had a 2yr/24K fidelity platinum policy for my 997TT that expired about a year ago. When it expired, I went back and got a 2yr/24K silver plan. Car has 56K miles and I paid $2200 for the silver plan w/ a $100 ded.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:39 AM
faustiano
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
A PPI on a modern P-car will be at least $250 - $350. Being in CA, probably even higher.

I had a 2yr/24K fidelity platinum policy for my 997TT that expired about a year ago. When it expired, I went back and got a 2yr/24K silver plan. Car has 56K miles and I paid $2200 for the silver plan w/ a $100 ded.

Thank you for the information... I was able to reach out to one of the members who sells the warranties for Fidelity and was able to get a quote. It seems to be a pretty decent deal. I am researching Fidelity regarding how "easy" it is to make a claim in the unfortunate situation I need to make one... Hopefully, they are easy to deal with.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:41 AM
faustiano
AutoX

Should I be prepared to pay full asking price from the dealer for the used 997 TT, or does Porsche haggle on price for used inventory? Does anyone have any experience dealing with a Porsche dealership?
Old 07-30-2019, 01:45 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Should I be prepared to pay full asking price from the dealer for the used 997 TT, or does Porsche haggle on price for used inventory? Does anyone have any experience dealing with a Porsche dealership?
Based on the Porsche dealerships I've dealt with over the years I don't think you should expect to pay full asking price but they don't give up much. May have been coincidences but it seems to me they have gotten less willing to haggle lately than they used to be. They price the cars pretty close to their bottom line.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:54 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

Personally, I don't think you should jump in at any car right now. You sound too green to make this purchase.

Your questions confirm that.

Spend some time here, 2-3 months, read some of the old threads and take a few test drives.

No reason to get married at this stage. Prices will be better in the fall and you'll be much more knowledgeable.

I spent months here learning and took several test drives before buying first 997.2 - I spent another year before buying a Turbo S.

Most important to note - I sold # 1 for what I had into it minus slippage and could do the same with # 2.

Patience will pay off.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:24 PM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

So I am calling around some places for a PPI in NorCal as suggested in some other threads, and curious how much the PPI should cost. I was under the impression. They were under $200, but I am getting quotes for Well over $350. Is that normal?
Where in NorCal are you looking?
Old 07-30-2019, 02:59 PM
faustiano
AutoX

Originally Posted by turbodogs02
Where in NorCal are you looking?
Walnut Creek, and I reached out to Pacifc Power Motorsports. Talked with them and the technician who is very knowledgeable.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:11 PM
faustiano
AutoX

I just got the verbal PPI information, and the biggest concern was the PME. It had a Stage 6 over rev about 1000 hours ago. That may have been a while ago, but as I understand with over rev, you never can tell what it could do to the engine in the future... Mezger's are strong engines, but I would be concerned of any Porsche hitting Stage 6.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:46 PM
lflouie
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 67 Posts

I just got the verbal PPI information, and the biggest concern was the PME. It had a Stage 6 over rev about 1000 hours ago. That may have been a while ago, but as I understand with over rev, you never can tell what it could do to the engine in the future... Mezger's are strong engines, but I would be concerned of any Porsche hitting Stage 6.
How many level 5, 6 over revs. If it was single digits then no worry...just glitches. Get the details for each level and hours.

As mentioned 997.1, especially a 2009 6spd is a very desirable car. I spent 6 most searching for mine (2007 tt, 6spd coupe) low mileage with the color and options I wanted. I had lots of help and guidance from several other owners to guide me thru the selection and buying process. If this is your first P car purchase, get help, read, drive, talk with owners and know what you're getting into....including normal maintenance costs and potential repair costs. If you'd like to chat about your search, prices, optons etc, pm me.

Highly recommend a Fidelity Platinum warranty for these cars. Shop for the warranty, you can find them for 50% discounts over list. ANY repair that requires dropping the motor is a minimum $2000....so warranties can easily pay for themselves.

PPI is only as good as the tech...they arent perfect, so you should know what to check and things to look for. Service records are highly desireable and will help when selling.

Good hunting!
Old 07-30-2019, 09:53 PM
lflouie
Racer

Dup.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:56 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Like I said in previous posts.. I don't trust dealers, especially when they say previous owner was "elderly"... I have seen lots of "elderly owners" money shift their cars at a driver's ed event or at the track... Since it happened 1000 hours ago, you are probably fine, BUT I would love to see how many "ignition cycles" are in the stage 6 range. Read through the thread below to find out how to calculate the duration spent in each range.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post15745101
Old 07-30-2019, 10:27 PM
faustiano
AutoX

Originally Posted by lflouie
How many level 5, 6 over revs. If it was single digits then no worry...just glitches. Get the details for each level and hours.

As mentioned 997.1, especially a 2009 6spd is a very desirable car. I spent 6 most searching for mine (2007 tt, 6spd coupe) low mileage with the color and options I wanted. I had lots of help and guidance from several other owners to guide me thru the selection and buying process. If this is your first P car purchase, get help, read, drive, talk with owners and know what you're getting into....including normal maintenance costs and potential repair costs. If you'd like to chat about your search, prices, optons etc, pm me.

Highly recommend a Fidelity Platinum warranty for these cars. Shop for the warranty, you can find them for 50% discounts over list. ANY repair that requires dropping the motor is a minimum $2000....so warranties can easily pay for themselves.

PPI is only as good as the tech...they arent perfect, so you should know what to check and things to look for. Service records are highly desireable and will help when selling.

Good hunting!
Originally Posted by qikqbn
Like I said in previous posts.. I don't trust dealers, especially when they say previous owner was "elderly"... I have seen lots of "elderly owners" money shift their cars at a driver's ed event or at the track... Since it happened 1000 hours ago, you are probably fine, BUT I would love to see how many "ignition cycles" are in the stage 6 range. Read through the thread below to find out how to calculate the duration spent in each range.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post15745101
Have not received the report yet, but here is the details from the DME:

Number of Ignitions range 1: 2332 / 1681.3h
Number of Ignitions range 2: 625 / 1681.3h
Number of Ignitions range 3: 420 / 907.6h
Number of Ignitions range 4: 386 / 907.6h
Number of Ignitions range 5: 303 / 907.6h
Number of Ignitions range 6: 32 / 907.6h

Operating Hours Counter: 1769.8

According to the tech, 32 Cycles would have been a fraction of a second, so they estimate it to be a one time occurrence...

[Edited to fix the ranges]

Last edited by faustiano; 07-31-2019 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:40 PM
lflouie
Racer

Have not received the report yet, but here is the details from the DME:

Number of Ignitions range 1: 2332 / 1681.3h
Number of Ignitions range 1: 625 / 1681.3h
Number of Ignitions range 1: 420 / 907.6h
Number of Ignitions range 1: 386 / 907.6h
Number of Ignitions range 1: 303 / 907.6h
Number of Ignitions range 1: 32 / 907.6h

Operating Hours Counter: 1769.8

According to the tech, 32 Cycles would have been a fraction of a second, so they estimate it to be a one time occurrence...
I assume that the ranges should have read range 1 on the top, decending to range 6.

Range 4 is approx 128 revs or 1 secs
Range 5 is approx 100 revs or 0.8 secs
Range 6 is approx 10 revs or 0.08 secs
Total above range 3 = 238 revs or 1.88 sec

It all appears to be a single event and as you said quite a while ago. It is probably ok, but from a buyer standpoint you should be able to negotiate the price bc this report will limit the number of serious buyers for the car.

Note: Porsche would most likely not offer a warranty based on this DME data.

Last edited by lflouie; 07-31-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:52 AM
faustiano
AutoX

Sorry about the ranges, but yes you are correct. I fixed the previous message.

Now I am on the fence, because while the other issues are manageable, I really did not want to see the over revs. Finding a 2009 TT Manual reasonably priced is not an easy task because there are only a few nationwide at any given time, and that had been the case for the last few years.

I agree, I plan to use this and the other PPI information to help drive down the price and see if we can come to an agreement. I have not dealt with a Porsche dealer, as all the other TT I looked at were from private parties and not a good fit (wrong options, wrong color, high priced, unwanted location, etc). So i will see if they are willing to negotiate.

Last edited by faustiano; 07-31-2019 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:03 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by lflouie
I assume that the ranges shold have read range 1 on the top, decending to range 6.

Range 4 is approx 128 revs or 1 secs
Range 5 is approx 100 revs or 0.8 secs
Range 6 is approx 10 revs or 0.08 secs

It all appears to be a single event and as you said quite a while ago. It is probably ok, but from a buyer standpoint you should be able to negotiate the price bc this report will limit the number of serious buyers for the car.

Note: Porsche would most likely not offer a warranty based on this DME data.
They won't. And if trade in is a consideration I don't believe they CPO cars with DME readings of 3 and above no matter how brief. I also don't think they CPO cars that are 10 years or older so may not be an issue since I believe we're talking about a 2009. Just my opinion and the 4, 5 and 6 DME dings aside, going by the rest I get the impression that this car has been driven pretty "spirited". Some would say it looks like it's been driven on the hard side.

Quick Reply: Sure this has been asked before - first 997 Turbo