Sponsored by:

Change Canadian DRLs to fog lights? 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 12:20 PM
adamo
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Change Canadian DRLs to fog lights? 997.1

I've read through the many threads here, have seen the diode fix, etc- but those all seem to be US model cars without mandatory DRLs, and drivers are adding them.

I have a Canadian car, DRLs are mandatory (which I'm ok with), but I'd like to move the DRLs to from the headlights (low beams at full power) to the fog lights. My local dealer is either unable (or more likely, unwilling) to do it.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-23-2019, 02:22 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

I had a superchips tune on my jeep and the device allowed me to switch to which ever lights I wanted for DRL. There must be a device to help you do that.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:03 PM
adamo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steph1
I had a superchips tune on my jeep and the device allowed me to switch to which ever lights I wanted for DRL. There must be a device to help you do that.
Yes, I've had three Wranglers, and they're much simpler to customize simple things like this. Even for my Audis, there's a simple OBDII adapter and software available (@ $50) to change a number of functions- looking for something comparable for the 911s.

I've heard of Durametric and PIWIS, but not sure which I need- as tthere is a huge delta in pricing and functionality.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:24 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,594 Likes on 4,192 Posts

The only think you'll be able to do is defeat the DRL option coded to the car and then come up with an alternative to run alternative lights as DRLs. You'll need a device that can do module coding, so a Durametric Pro model (not the Enthusiast version), and then you'll be able to go into the module for the lighting and turn off the DRL feature. (The PIWIS is what the Porsche Dealers use). Then from a lighting perspective, you essentially have a US car.

The cleanest and best option to enable a DRL is then the diode mod behind the headlight switch, which is what I did in my wife's car and it burns the aftermarket LED fog lights whenever the engine is running as here DRL, but not the tail lights, which is what you want. In my car, I wanted t use the LED parking light surround of my aftermarket lights so hooked mine up with an SPDT relay and a current sensing DRL module, but that's a lot more work.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:36 AM
adamo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petza914
The only think you'll be able to do is defeat the DRL option coded to the car and then come up with an alternative to run alternative lights as DRLs. You'll need a device that can do module coding, so a Durametric Pro model (not the Enthusiast version), and then you'll be able to go into the module for the lighting and turn off the DRL feature. (The PIWIS is what the Porsche Dealers use). Then from a lighting perspective, you essentially have a US car.

The cleanest and best option to enable a DRL is then the diode mod behind the headlight switch, which is what I did in my wife's car and it burns the aftermarket LED fog lights whenever the engine is running as here DRL, but not the tail lights, which is what you want. In my car, I wanted t use the LED parking light surround of my aftermarket lights so hooked mine up with an SPDT relay and a current sensing DRL module, but that's a lot more work.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate that, thank you. Sounds like much more hassle than it's worth for a Canadian car.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:19 AM
Uwon
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914

I have a US version '06 C2S (997.1) here in Canada which had the headlight DRLs originally engaged by the Porsche dealer. Like the OP, I also have been trying to do the conversion of the DRLs to the fog lights. I have the Durametric Pro and to date have not been able to find where to turn off the DRLs.
I do note that PCM does provide for the option to turn off/on the DRLs but, as per the Owner's Manual, it is not functional for cars in countries with mandatory DRLs. So, I'm about as confused as everybody else at this stage .LOL
Cheers,
Johan
Old 07-24-2019, 12:19 PM
adamo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Uwon
I have a US version '06 C2S (997.1) here in Canada which had the headlight DRLs originally engaged by the Porsche dealer. Like the OP, I also have been trying to do the conversion of the DRLs to the fog lights. I have the Durametric Pro and to date have not been able to find where to turn off the DRLs.
I do note that PCM does provide for the option to turn off/on the DRLs but, as per the Owner's Manual, it is not functional for cars in countries with mandatory DRLs. So, I'm about as confused as everybody else at this stage .LOL
Cheers,
Johan
If you ever figure this out, and are in the GTA, I'd be happy to come by with a case of your favourite beer or bottle of scotch to do the programming on mine.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:01 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 246 Posts

Ok, let me see if I can earn those beers....I am in Markham

I had this done a few years ago..... Someone on this forum posted a spreadsheet on the coding option and I kept it for I know I will need it to re-program the DRL.... see screenshot below on what I had Speedstar in Markham program for me.

I also did the diode mod on the light switch so now my low beam is off and my Fog is on as my DRL whenever the engine is running. My 997.1S is a Canadian car.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:58 PM
Uwon
Racer

Oh man, I’ve been farting around with this section of the Durametric pro for two hours this afternoon with no success. Same area as the above post by lowbee. No success YET.....
will try again tomorrow.
Johan
Old 07-25-2019, 02:09 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

you need the diode hack + durmetric pro to turn off the coding in the front light module. I've done it for about half a dozen cad spec cars as they were doing the diode hack drl. are you in toronto?

Originally Posted by adamo
I've read through the many threads here, have seen the diode fix, etc- but those all seem to be US model cars without mandatory DRLs, and drivers are adding them.

I have a Canadian car, DRLs are mandatory (which I'm ok with), but I'd like to move the DRLs to from the headlights (low beams at full power) to the fog lights. My local dealer is either unable (or more likely, unwilling) to do it.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-25-2019, 07:30 AM
Uwon
Racer

Are you saying that I need to first instal the diode hack and only then the Durametric Pro will react and turn the headlights off?
Johan

Last edited by Uwon; 07-25-2019 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 07-25-2019, 07:47 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
you need the diode hack + durmetric pro to turn off the coding in the front light module. I've done it for about half a dozen cad spec cars as they were doing the diode hack drl. are you in toronto?
What's the diode hack? I also wanna do this!
Old 07-25-2019, 08:31 PM
adamo
Instructor

Originally Posted by myw
I'm in the GTA (Port Credit). Where are you located? PM me if you'd like. Cheers
Old 07-29-2019, 05:24 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
What's the diode hack? I also wanna do this!
i believe there are 2$ diode hack threads on rennlist or 6spd. its been quite a while so i cant recall. overall its pretty easy to do. basically the fogs get wired as your DRL.

i actually have a few spare diodes in my car for those in toronto who need it to do the mod.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:40 PM
Uwon
Racer

Originally Posted by myw
i actually have a few spare diodes in my car for those in toronto who need it to do the mod.
I would like to buy one from you.PM sent.
Johan

Quick Reply: Change Canadian DRLs to fog lights? 997.1