Sponsored by:

PSE or aftermarket exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 09:48 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts
Default PSE or aftermarket exhaust

While I search for the right car I determined that the Sport Exhaust is a must have. While looking for some months for the right one that checks all the boxes it seems that PSE isn't as widely available as I thought it would be in pre owned 997.2's In looking at the 991's there seems to be many more produced with the factory sport exhaust but not so much in the 997's. I would prefer a 997.2 but does it benefit to go with an aftermarket exhaust vs. PSE. I don't really buy the arguments an exhaust is going to give X# extra HP over stock, unless it was perhaps a header's back system and that's not what I want. Just the sound really. I do like the fact PSE with center muffler bypass can be closed off and quieted but is it worth the extra trouble of having one more box to check while car shopping?

There is an extra cost involved with an aftermarket while having PSE or not doesn't seem to affect the price in the preowned market much if at all. I doubt a seller would discount a car because "this one doesn't have Sport Exhaust" but maybe? Any thought's about this from anyone who has crossed this bridge before or others who have added an exhaust one way or another? Is it worthwhile looking for the one that checks all the boxes plus PSE?
Old 07-15-2019, 01:31 AM
holgum
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

You’ll get lots of opinions on this one.
I added PSE after trying aftermarket (Pfister). No regrets really. I needed to hear the Pfisters for myself and while they sounded good I decided I wanted to stick with genuine Porsche and like the switchability.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:59 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

Check out fvd they have tons of options depending on your price budget and sound levels you want.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:15 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,701 Posts

As owner of 3 996C4S's w/PSE and 2 997's (1S, 1C4S) w/PSE, I've always believed PSE sounds the best.

*However the new 07 997S I just purchased has stock exhaust and I took a listen to the Fister Sport Exhaust System
IMO this Fister Sport Exhaust sounds almost identical to the PSE exhaust

Heres the video link for sound:

Old 07-15-2019, 02:39 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by holgum
You’ll get lots of opinions on this one.
I added PSE after trying aftermarket (Pfister). No regrets really. I needed to hear the Pfisters for myself and while they sounded good I decided I wanted to stick with genuine Porsche and like the switchability.

No kidding. Probably as many opinions as replies. My first 997.2 was an -09 C4S launch model. Loved everything about it except for the exhaust. A quiet whisper compared to the -06 C4S with Tubi that I traded in. Champion Porsche agreed to mount a brand new Tubi system as part of the purchase of the -09 C4S. The Tubi on the 997.2 includes bypass pipes that eliminates the center muffler which along with restrictive side cans is what makes the .2 cars so quiet.

Now I have PSE + Sharkwerks bypass pipes on the GTS. The difference? To me the Tubi sounds great but doesn't have the quiet/loud button on the dash. Not a big deal imo since if you keep it below 3,500 rpm it's still pretty quiet if that's what you want to keep neighbors happy on early morning launches. The Tubi also had a higher pitch "euro" sound compared to the PSE/Sharkwerks combination which at least to my ears has a deeper, angrier grunt to it. I think they both sound great in their own way. All a matter of taste but if I had to choose one I'd take the PSE/Sharkwerks combo. Not because of the quiet button on the dash but for the sound.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:24 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

My car was originally optioned with PSE. They went bad and the 2nd owner replaced them with non-valved FVD mufflers. I replaced those with a full Fabspeed Valvetronic system (headers, valve mufflers, and 200 cell X-cats) and love it. Here's a quick drive by video

A gundo or Fisters is essentially PSE in sport mode all the time.

There are two advantages to a PSE or valved system
1. You can quiet it down when leaving the neighborhood early in the morning or coming home late at night or when riding next to a cop in traffic
2. With the valves closed they actually make a little more low end torque. Before everyone calls BS and says that the reason the valves close on their own in sport mode is for EU noise regulations, loom up a bunch of before and after dyno graphs that the aftermarket exhaust companies have published and look at the low end torque numbers for the before system vs the after system. Though the freer flowing aftermarket exhaust makes higher peak HP and torque, it lower in the low Rev range. PSE gives you the best of both worlds with the valves automatically closed at low revs for more torque and open at higher revs for more HP.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:05 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
My car was originally optioned with PSE. They went bad and the 2nd owner replaced them with non-valved FVD mufflers. I replaced those with a full Fabspeed Valvetronic system (headers, valve mufflers, and 200 cell X-cats) and love it. Here's a quick drive by video

https://youtu.be/VMJ_NLjjJNw

A gundo or Fisters is essentially PSE in sport mode all the time.

1. You can quiet it down when leaving the neighborhood early in the morning or coming home late at night or when riding next to a cop in traffic
2. With the valves closed they actually make a little more low end torque. Before everyone calls BS and says that the reason the valves close on their own in sport mode is for EU noise regulations, loom up a bunch of before and after dyno graphs that the aftermarket exhaust companies have published and look at the low end torque numbers for the before system vs the after system. Though the freer flowing aftermarket exhaust makes higher peak HP and torque, it lower in the low Rev range. PSE gives you the best of both worlds with the valves automatically closed at low revs for more torque and open at higher revs for more HP.
In my 10 years of PSE ownership(996/997's), I never once used my car in PSE "off" mode.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:26 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts

So it sounds like the consensus is ( if there ever is one is wait until I find one with PSE. I have no problem with that, I have been waiting for months for the right one to come along. Sometimes I think I have to lower my expectations, then I think if I'm spending that kind of money on a car, I better get what I want. I don't think I'm being to unrealistic, Just certain must haves. I don't even care about the color too much. Must haves are Cabriolet, under 30k, PSE, full leather, and adaptive sport seats. A manual would be nice but might be pushing it.

I'm even considering a GTS but I'm not too big on the centerlocks. I think I followed a thread on RL sometime in the last year where a member was travelling across country and had a flat. Went through hell to get to a Porsche dealer ( the only one who could service the wheel). A flat tire is enough hassle. And surprisingly enough, most GTS' don't have full leather (at least it seems that way).

Thanks for all the input on the exhaust question. It sounds like the Sharkwerks bypass is the way to go once I find my car, Though I'm certainly open to other options.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:25 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by prairiedawg
So it sounds like the consensus is ( if there ever is one is wait until I find one with PSE. I have no problem with that, I have been waiting for months for the right one to come along. Sometimes I think I have to lower my expectations, then I think if I'm spending that kind of money on a car, I better get what I want. I don't think I'm being to unrealistic, Just certain must haves. I don't even care about the color too much. Must haves are Cabriolet, under 30k, PSE, full leather, and adaptive sport seats. A manual would be nice but might be pushing it.

I'm even considering a GTS but I'm not too big on the centerlocks. I think I followed a thread on RL sometime in the last year where a member was travelling across country and had a flat. Went through hell to get to a Porsche dealer ( the only one who could service the wheel). A flat tire is enough hassle. And surprisingly enough, most GTS' don't have full leather (at least it seems that way).

Thanks for all the input on the exhaust question. It sounds like the Sharkwerks bypass is the way to go once I find my car, Though I'm certainly open to other options.
You don't need a Porsche dealer to fix a tire with CL wheels. The socket to remove it is in a small compartment in the frunk (make sure it's there) so you just need to find a shop that has a breaker bar and 450lb-ft TQ wrench. For a long road trip, also bring the special kind of grease required for re installment. Then of course it depends on why your tire went flat. If you ran over something like I did recently which destroyed the tire you need a new tire and then it won't matter if you have CL or 5 lugs.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:09 AM
motown12
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Iv'e only had my car a few months and like you, I was hoping for PSE. The car I wound up getting had pretty much every conceivable option except for PSE. The good news is that's an easy fix, although not an inexpensive one at 3k+ if I want to have it installed. Now try to put something else on the car that you really want after the fact, like full leather and adaptive sports seats, I think I did the math and to buy all the leather interior pieces on sun coast, was over 15K and that didn't include installation. Add the seats you want and your in over 20K. My advice, find the car with all the other expensive options you want, which has a well documented maintenance history and is in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition. Worst case you can add the PSE later. Good luck!
Old 07-16-2019, 08:37 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

I don't agree with this logic---> Model type/exterior & interior color, no oil burn, miles & service history/condition always more important than having every option you desire.
My latest purchase is a good example.
Sure I wanted PSE however when I found my 2007 silver/black 997S w/ low 54K miles and excel service history, no oil burn between oil changes and excel condition/service history I went for it. It has Sport Chrono but no PSE.
I'll add the Fister exhaust and be happy
Market is too slim to be waiting for a PSE car if all other important boxes get checked - but this is my opinion.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:47 AM
Zoefhaus
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
In my 10 years of PSE ownership(996/997's), I never once used my car in PSE "off" mode.
I switch it off when starting the car in the garage, because the noise scares the kids.
Also I heard that it is good to switch it on/off every now and then, otherwise the valves may seize...
Old 07-16-2019, 08:59 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Yes I dont know why you would wait for a PSE car. Get a great car, slap on a gundo mod and youre good to go at a fraction of the price of adding PSE. Same sound, much better price. The valves are just a pain in the *** if something goes wrong, not to mention it would never be used at least by me. Even if it was occasionally used its definitely not worth the added cost
Old 07-16-2019, 09:19 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

I agree. PSE is not a must have feature - if you find the right car for all the other features and it happens to have PSE, that's great. More important things are coupe or cab, manual, pdk, or tiptronic, exterior color, interior color, full leather option, iron or PCCB brakes, sport chrono, power or manual adaptive sport seats, aero kit or not, etc.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:32 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I leave my house before 6am on the way to the airport when I travel for my work. I'm certain my neighbors appreciate that I leave PSE off until I reach the main roads. Cold start is still loud, but the difference is noticeable.

Quick Reply: PSE or aftermarket exhaust