Sponsored by:

Looking for advice -- 997 with lower back issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 04:06 PM
Kaefer
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rwdds
Try rolling a towel up in a tight roll, about 4-5 inches in diameter. Place it at your lower back just above your belt line. You should feel it pressing your lower back forward. I've used this in a variety of vehicles for the years when I suffered. Mine = 3 blown discs, L4 -5 & S1. With constant therapy and lots of exercise, it can improve with time. Yoga helps.
I use one of these in my Cayman:

Amazon Amazon

It helps tremendously, along with lower air pressure in the tires.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:16 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I'm not buying this and also don't understand why someone would do this when there's a clutch pedal like 4" from your brake pedal. Doesn't make any sense. If you're driving like that aren't you better off with a PDK that is essentially a manual transmission without a clutch? If clutches weren't actually needed in MT cars, they wouldn't have them.

Make us a video as I'd like to see this technique.
I’ll do better than that. Here’s a whole bunch of them, take your pick. Or ask any trucker to give you a demonstration. Hint though: maybe not start out combattive like you do on an internet forum. Some of those truckers are pretty big dudes 😉 Why do it? Well the OP said he’s got back problems and thinking about getting an automatic. With this tool in his belt he can save his money, if his back gets sore fall back on not using the clutch. I don’t always do it, in fact rarely, but my back is in good shape.
https://m.youtube.com/results?search...gears+in+a+car
Old 07-08-2019, 10:38 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I’ll do better than that. Here’s a whole bunch of them, take your pick. Or ask any trucker to give you a demonstration. Hint though: maybe not start out combattive like you do on an internet forum. Some of those truckers are pretty big dudes 😉 Why do it? Well the OP said he’s got back problems and thinking about getting an automatic. With this tool in his belt he can save his money, if his back gets sore fall back on not using the clutch. I don’t always do it, in fact rarely, but my back is in good shape.
https://m.youtube.com/results?search...gears+in+a+car
Thanks for the search links. I see that it can be done and how it's done, but still don't agree with it as a way of regularly driving, like as a solution to someone with a back problem, for a couple reasons:
  1. Almost every one of the videos where someone was demonstrating the technique missed at least 1 up shift or downshift where there was gear grinding. The technique has a narrow margin for rpm error, and any gear grinding is bad, even if only once in a while - it creates wear and can chop off a tooth that can get lodged in the other gears and do significant damage
  2. The technique, as described, requires light pressure on the shifter when exiting a gear and until the next gear engages. On the way into a gear they show holding light pressure until the RPMs match and the shifter slips in. This type of pressure is exactly what wears syncho rings and why you shouldn't even rest your hand on the shifter when just riding along.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:19 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Ever try yoga? Seriously, if you're able, it'll make all the different types of seats more comfortable.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:47 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Adaptive sport seats and PDK, solved my back issues!
Old 07-09-2019, 11:31 AM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Maybe look into a Macan where you can sit more upright and have a PDK. A Macan Turbo or GTS is surprisingly sporty and capable. Also look into TPC's DSC suspension controller that would allow you to customize the softness of the suspension based on g-forces. This way it can be very supple when highway riding but automatically tighten up for sportier driving situations (on ramps, evasive maneuvers, etc).
Where is the panamera love here? So much more sporty than the Macan or Cayenne. The seating is more luxurious than the 997, but the center of gravity is much lower than the SUVs. There do seem to be some issues with specific engines/years, but like with the 911s, the Turbos seems to be really stout. A little homework should be done. And the prices for these are very reasonable for serious autobahn crushing comfort.

Also look into TPC's DSC suspension controller that would allow you to customize the softness of the suspension based on g-forces. This way it can be very supple when highway riding but automatically tighten up for sportier driving situations (on ramps, evasive maneuvers, etc).

All of the above being said, the full power Adaptive Sport Seat Plus seats are the best seats Porsche makes for support, comfort, and adjustability and what I have in my 997. The a manual versions are almost just as good, at least for me, but lack lumbar adjustability, which in your case you'd want.
The TPC is on my short list for this reason and I would definitely considethe Adative Sport Seat
Old 07-09-2019, 12:27 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla
Where is the panamera love here? So much more sporty than the Macan or Cayenne. The seating is more luxurious than the 997, but the center of gravity is much lower than the SUVs. There do seem to be some issues with specific engines/years, but like with the 911s, the Turbos seems to be really stout. A little homework should be done. And the prices for these are very reasonable for serious autobahn crushing comfort.

The TPC is on my short list for this reason and I would definitely considethe Adative Sport Seat
Sorry, just have never been able to warm up to the looks of either generation Panamera, even though I'm sure it's an excellent driver. The latest redesign should have used the bodywork from the Taycan concept car, but paired it with the standard ICE and hybrid powerplant options - then I might actually have a TT one parked in my garage.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:13 PM
jimfuerst
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 101 Posts

I guess a lot of us on this list have low back issues....me too...I bought this on Amazon and use it in multiple cars.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UB4S3QS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UB4S3QS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-09-2019, 11:20 PM
MrTickles
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have sporadic back issues. Strangely some of the family sedans have been the most painful cars for me but the 997 doesn’t seem to bother me.

All I can say to help is 1) have a good seating position 2)Yoga 3) leg workouts. The issue with your lower back is there is not much muscle there and the strength of your legs and abs is a big determinant of the stress relief to that area of your body.

Below is a video on seating position.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ving-position/
Old 07-10-2019, 03:14 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 783 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by JAGMAN1
Ever try yoga? Seriously, if you're able, it'll make all the different types of seats more comfortable.
I wasn't going to comment because it is so personal but 5 years ago I got rear ended by someone in a full size jeep going over 70 and I was at a full stop in a Mitsubishi EVO.
The accident changed my life for sure and it really messed up my back permanently I am assuming at this point.
PT Exercise is the only thing that really truly helped with my injury after a couple years of passive PT. This book was a big help after I lost the free active PT privilege:
https://smile.amazon.com/Pilates-Fra...s=books&sr=1-9
In any case, out of psychological need, I built another EVO within a couple of months after my accident. At the time, I had a daily driver which was a 2006 Civic sedan. About a year later, while still in passive PT 2-3 times a week, I got T-Boned by a confused grandma who drove into oncoming traffic! I didn't get too badly hurt but I was really shaken by it all and got punched in the face with airbags. After that accident, I started to daily my second EVO but after a year of trying to tough it out, I realized I needed to get out of a car with a fixed back bucket as a daily driver. Also, I was not physically able to go to the track, so the EVO was just for driving up and down Angeles Crest once or twice a month while I did have a daily driver. Otherwise, my EVO had become a really big garage decoration. As a result, I sold the EVO and got an Audi Avant Prestige S-Line with the adaptive sports seats. The seats were great but the car was a real snoozer with tiptronic and the 2.0T. After a couple years driving a really nice comfortable (but boring as hell) Avant, I decided to get something more fun and started searching for a 911 specifically. I checked out a bunch of different 911s and drove some with everything from the so-called sofa seats to the light weight buckets in GT3s. What I found was that the 18 way seats were better than the seats in my Avant. I also felt the 18 ways were better than the manual versions of the same seats in my cousin's GT3 because of the adjustability.
The reason for me the seats are so good, and key for long drives is my back is like a stopwatch that starts out OK at this point and counts down to pain that can last days and sometimes weeks. If I pay attention to whats going on, I can live pretty normally but if I do not, I will be on my *** for days at a time, and a few times for over a week. So, I need to move around a lot to stop my back from hurting on drives of over an hour. I do not know how much the Avant seats were adjustable but driving to my parents house up by Tahoe from LA and back, I would find myself moving the seat up, down, back, forward, lumbar in, lumbar out, lumbar up, lumbar down, sitting back, sitting up, and etc. after a couple hours, I would just keep adjusting. I also had the memory settings all for me in different positions for moving around easily in LA traffic jams. However, after 4 hours or so, nothing really helped and I was just in pain, so I would usually cut the drive in half and get a hotel. With my 18 ways in my 911, I can do all that and a bit more + the seats are just better, so when I have driven to San Diego or to the Bay Area from LA, I have a better range of adjustability but I also notice that I do not need to adjust the seats so much as well. I have not driven to my parents with my 911 yet but if I do, I will not get a hotel. I am positive I can make the full drive there with the 18 way seats.
Last, my wife also has a bad back from a separate unrelated accident, and my 911 came with both seats as 18 ways. I notice that on drives of over an hour, she adjusts a bit but typically she can find a seating position that is comfortable for her. Her back is fused from her T11 to her L1. My C Spine and upper T spine have bulging discs throughout from my accident. So, different injuries but we can both get comfortable in the 18 ways on longer drives. Also, she is way smaller than me, so we are pretty different size-wise as well.
I do think these seats are a revelation. BTW, I did also notice that when my cousin sold his GT3 for a 718 GTS, he optioned 18 ways.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:05 PM
HLCinCOU
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Update from my previous post: I just did a weeklong road trip in the 997.2 and can say the adaptive sport seat comfort seat (I think that's what it's called...it's the one with ventilation and all manner of adjustments including the crucial lumbar support) is as comfortable as anything I've driven for long periods of time. The first day I did spend a bit of time dialing in the lumbar and position. But once I had it nailed...well, I did 1600 miles and my back didn't complain. Well, at least not any more than it complains every day for no reason.

Of course there's not really any helping the fact you're driving on a firm suspension; Tennessee roads will bump you around regardless of your seat. And after a few days I did notice that inserting myself into the car isn't exactly effortless. But those things are pretty much unavoidable if you want to drive a sports car.

Last edited by HLCinCOU; 07-13-2019 at 09:50 PM. Reason: See below; editing to correct seat type.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:10 PM
HLCinCOU
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ben Z
[left]Is your problem the manual transmission or the seats, or both? If you know how to float gears properly you can drive one of these 6-speeds all day only using the clutch when the car is at a complete stop.
First...so jealous. I've always wanted to float some gears, but somehow have never been willing to actually try to do it. My shiftwork isn't that great in the first place and I just haven't been willing to risk tearing stuff up to learn it. Certainly it's not gonna happen in the 911. In retrospect I should have worked on it at the tail end of my 11 years with the '98 Eclipse which was pretty well worth nothing by then.

Second...I'm not sure that's a real answer for OP's back issues. Yeah, it's a thing you can do...but even you yourself say you don't do it all the time.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:36 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Adaptive sport seats have the winged shoulder supports and hard backs, but I don't think you can get them ventilated and the ventilated seats only come on the comfort seat design.
The following users liked this post:
HLCinCOU (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 09:49 PM
HLCinCOU
Instructor

Adaptive sport seats have the winged shoulder supports and hard backs, but I don't think you can get them ventilated and the ventilated seats only come on the comfort seat design.
Ah, my mistake. Must be the comfort seats I'm describing. They're fantastic. Thanks for the correction. Edited previous post.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:50 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

2009 C2S 137K miles

I have mild degenerative disk disease in lower back .... the old Porsche seats they made forever in my 2000 Boxster S were fabulous. The new super duper fifty switches weighs a ton seats in my 2009 C2S suck. I think I am the only one who hates them. At about 1 hour, the pains started like clockwork. I moved them all over the place. Then after about a year or two of ownership, the pains just miraculously stopped. I don't know why. I just came back from a 3K mile trip... no discomfort at all. Hmmm.....

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Looking for advice -- 997 with lower back issues