Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new Wheels + soon to be new motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 02:37 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 297 Posts

Turbodogs02.... So sorry to hear the news! At least the damage will not require as many parts and money to replace as initially expected. Bums us all out when we hear/see this happen to a fellow enthusiast. We are hoping for the best possible outcome for you!

By the way... LOVE the new wheels and Michelin Sport 4S , looks awesome, Great choice!! Looking forward to hearing your report when all is done.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:46 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodogs02
*** minor update ***

Heads came back and are looking good! In fact, the whole thing is turning out to not look as bleak as first suspected. Rods, pistons, cylinders are ok. Exhaust valves are ok, some bent intake valves. That's all I can remember for now, I'm certainly no mechanic so speaking "engine" isn't my first language, but I can usually follow along. At this point the decision was made to simply get it all back together and back home, so no 4.0 for me at this time. Waiting on just a couple more parts to arrive and ETA is about 2 weeks longer to completion. Once I get the final analysis and work up from the mechanic I'll be sure to post it all up.

Great news, especially since you're planning on keeping the car for quiet a while. Please keep us posted. All kinds of different failures out there and this one sounds a little different, at least based on the ones I've read about so far.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:48 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

Had to rebuild my 3.8-liter C2S engine. There was no price difference between the 3.8 and 4.0 option. If you see what LN Engineering does to remanufacture the block, you understand why. That said, there is not a lot of performance difference between the two, all other things equal. You have to modify more things (e.g., valves, cams, headers) to really soup it up. THAT's where the additional money might lie.

Last edited by JustinCase; 06-16-2019 at 03:49 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-18-2019, 03:04 PM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Turbodogs02.... So sorry to hear the news! At least the damage will not require as many parts and money to replace as initially expected. Bums us all out when we hear/see this happen to a fellow enthusiast. We are hoping for the best possible outcome for you!

By the way... LOVE the new wheels and Michelin Sport 4S , looks awesome, Great choice!! Looking forward to hearing your report when all is done.
Thanks qikqbn! I appreciate all the info about the wheels prior to the purchase.....really loving the looks and the handling now compared to the 20's.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:17 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

looks great
Old 07-30-2019, 12:25 PM
zamorskii
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Any updates on where you ended up?
Old 07-30-2019, 01:11 PM
turbodogs02
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zamorskii
Any updates on where you ended up?
Yes! My car is back! At 46,303 miles it's home with her new motor. I was finally able to go and get it two days before my birthday, so I got the best present ever....I bought my car (again).

So the culprit was the main timing chain and rail breaking. The intake valves were fine, but the exhaust valves needed replacement. I stopped by the shop from time to time just to check on the progress, and it was both really weird and kind of cool seeing my motor completely disassembled and in a million very neatly organized pieces. Very clean pieces too, I should say, as everything was cleaned up, polished up, or was new. I'm currently going through the 500 mile break-in process and it'll go back to the shop for an oil change and evaluation. The motor feels great (it should, it's new), but there seems to be a distinctive whine on throttle now that was never present before. Even my wife asked if my car always sounded that way, and it hadn't. I'm figuring it's all completely new, so maybe just parts and pieces breaking in. I told the shop about it, and we'll see how it is once it goes back in. Here's the parts it took, for anyone interested....

Machine work on the cylinder heads
Hydraulic Lifter
Intermediate Shaft
Timing chain to intermediate shaft to cams
Main chain crank to intermediate shaft
Intermediate chain tensioner guide
Intermediate chain; static guide
Cyls 1-3; slack and tension side guide
Cyls 4-6; slack and tension side guide
Intermediate shaft chain tensioner
Engine gasket set w/head gaskets
Rear main crankcase bolts
Head bolt(s)
Rod bearing half
Connecting rod bolt(s)
Piston ring set per cylinder
Valve - exhaust
Sealant
Crankshaft thrust washer
Crank shaft main bearing
Flywheel bolt
Anti-seize lubricant spark plugs
Power steering reservoir o-ring
Power steering fluid
Porsche coolant premix
Oil filter
5/40 Total synthetic
Oil & Gasket clean kit
Exhaust manifold bolt
Crank position sensor

* I don't know why the word exhaust and exhaust manifold are being turned into links...that's weird
Old 07-31-2019, 12:36 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,873 Posts

Add lowering the car to the list---> H & R Springs are great (1.2" drop) and allow use of PASM
New wheels look much better than the 20"

Quick Reply: My new Wheels + soon to be new motor