Sponsored by:

Oil test/fuel dilution

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 09:02 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil test/fuel dilution

Any thoughts about this test and approaches going forward?
My thoughts are to take another sample after some additional miles and my next track day. With this last change I have switched to Joe Gibbs DT90 oil.
If it shows high with the next test I guess I start looking at cleaning and/or replacing my injectors?
And what is with the low viscosity rating?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
AAA-0774.pdf (212.7 KB, 123 views)
Old 05-13-2019, 09:08 PM
lmaternick
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Wouldn't you want to bore scope/ compression test before replacing injectors? Or at least consider that as much as injectors? Some how fuel is getting into your sump past your rings so could be any of those things. I would ask if your oil consumption is up.....but if your replacing oil with fuel that would be hard to say. Is your oil level going up or constant?
In any event viscosity should go down but the fuel will rise in your sump so you may have only a glimps of the problem depending on when you took your sample in the draining process.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:51 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

This is your first test? 2000mile interval, what oil did you use before ? How long have you had the vehicle .....there is so much information missing no one can make or remark on this . To take one test and try and extrapolate info out of is so misinformation.

I see no mileage on the car ....so wrong to even post this......maybe I am wrong but I see no mileage on the vehicle .......If you want accurate knowledgeable replies please be more forth coming......looks like a troll post.....I don’t think it is but come on ......you have to post more info........very bad analysis imo.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:10 PM
lmaternick
Instructor

Originally Posted by docdrs
This is your first test? 2000mile interval, what oil did you use before ? How long have you had the vehicle .....there is so much information missing no one can make or remark on this . To take one test and try and extrapolate info out of is so misinformation.

I see no mileage on the car ....so wrong to even post this......maybe I am wrong but I see no mileage on the vehicle .......If you want accurate knowledgeable replies please be more forth coming......looks like a troll post.....I don’t think it is but come on ......you have to post more info........very bad analysis imo.
Wow...really....wrong side of the bed today?
Old 05-13-2019, 11:29 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Some fair criticism. I assumed the total mileage was in the report as it was reported.
Yes, first test, car has 77,000 miles, 2,000 miles since last change.
The questions concerned fuel dilution and oil viscosity, something that, unlike wear metals, would not necessarily be so dependent upon previous test history.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:30 PM
swingwing
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts

Fuel in the oil is going to lower the oil viscosity. OP’s sample is in 30 viscosity range. Lab doesn’t show percentage of fuel which would be helpful.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:47 PM
lmaternick
Instructor

Well you'll have more to go on with the next test. 2000 miles might want to be your upper limit on oil changes for now. Up here in the great white north it is a no brainer....every fall....which only gave you 5000 kms of driving at most before the snow starts up again.
I don't see how mileage matters....you have a report and symptoms (fuel in oil). Would it matter what miles were on the engine? Where did it come from? Bore scoring, Rings, injectors? Bore scoring you cant fix. Rings....the same unless you tear apart and then you do block too. Injectors you can do somewhat easily in comparison.
Question is....what made you wonder what was going on with your engine? Any issues? Could it be that you take short drives and engine doesn't come to temp?
Even then....you would think the fuel would become gaseous at high oil temps and go through the AOS and be burnt up unless it's being passed by the rings at a super high rate.
If your rings or bores were that scored you would also see smoking I'm thinking.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:29 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,746 Likes on 4,292 Posts

What is the DT90 oil you're switching to? I'm not familiar with that grade.

I also find it interesting that this UOA test only does viscosity at one temperature. My Blackstone ones do it at two temps.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:14 AM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

I misspoke, it is DI-40
https://lnengineering.com/joe-gibbs-...12-quarts.html
Old 05-14-2019, 10:24 AM
lmaternick
Instructor

I just wouldn't get too freaked out here. Your parameters seem good and you haven't mentioned problems. How about just drive it and enjoy it for a couple thousand miles?
Then get concerned again if you want.
Not kidding.....drive it.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:36 AM
lmaternick
Instructor

I guess what I'm saying could answer 90% of the questions on forums.......You can't save your engine. It will fail.
When is the question....who knows?....it is engineered to be hi performing and long lasting so have fun with it. When it fails you'll fix it. Anything beyond keeping over revs to a minimum and making sure lubrication is top notch is like yoga. All in your head.
I'm not DFI guy but thats still my take on it.
Maybe better put....if you can't drive it without concern...why bother?
Old 05-14-2019, 05:04 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Well said, perhaps it just needs a few track days to start feeling better! (I know I do)

Quick Reply: Oil test/fuel dilution