Sponsored by:

Repair with OEM or make a mod ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 03:11 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Repair with OEM or make a mod ?

What are common repairs facing the 997 owner where it makes sense to modify the car vs do an OEM replace and repair?

As an example - the suspension needs replacement and is out of warranty. Does it make sense for the owner to trash the OEM suspension and 'upgrade' to aftermarket?

In every case this is for a long term keeper for the owner and not looking at how the mods may affect resale.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:39 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

An aftermarket "upgrade", even if it is really a big upgrade, will cost you in resale value. I have a hard time believing resale value will not be a consideration; it always is. But, if you say it's not a consideration, than the only advantage to OEM parts is they may last longer and be easier to find replacements if something breaks.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:06 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

It is probably easier and faster to get most parts if using OEM when sites like Pelican carry many common parts. That said, cheaper after market OEM like parts are very easy to get quickly at a big discount, also at sites like Pelican. Higher quality after market parts are easy to find and should last as long as or longer than OEM parts and may not cost as much as OEM because of lack of Porsche tax.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:17 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 786 Likes on 445 Posts

Without starting a discussion that will sidetrack your question, my understanding is that Bilstein is not servicing OEM PASM shocks for the Carreras or the GT3s anymore. This is only a rumor BUT if it is true, then I think there are ways you could upgrade to OEM+. You could get an aftermarket rebuild I assume but a replacement example would be the Bilstein Damptronics. I do think an informed buyer would rather solid well thought out non-OEM upgrades to worn parts, so it really comes down to quality of the parts and how they are set up + make sense. For example, some people might prefer KW 3-Way Clubsports over OEM C2S PASM shocks if set up correctly. Regardless, just slapping some aftermarket parts in place of broken OEM parts will make your car not make sense to you or the buyer. I am on the fence about what I am saying, so I look for OEM+ upgrades (i.e. C2S ---> OEM GT3 parts) or if I buy aftermarket, I make sure it exceeds OEM quality and is proven on our cars (my example being the KWs).
Old 05-08-2019, 08:21 PM
pilfer
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
Without starting a discussion that will sidetrack your question, my understanding is that Bilstein is not servicing OEM PASM shocks for the Carreras or the GT3s anymore. This is only a rumor BUT if it is true, then I think there are ways you could upgrade to OEM+. You could get an aftermarket rebuild I assume but a replacement example would be the Bilstein Damptronics. I do think an informed buyer would rather solid well thought out non-OEM upgrades to worn parts, so it really comes down to quality of the parts and how they are set up + make sense. For example, some people might prefer KW 3-Way Clubsports over OEM C2S PASM shocks if set up correctly. Regardless, just slapping some aftermarket parts in place of broken OEM parts will make your car not make sense to you or the buyer. I am on the fence about what I am saying, so I look for OEM+ upgrades (i.e. C2S ---> OEM GT3 parts) or if I buy aftermarket, I make sure it exceeds OEM quality and is proven on our cars (my example being the KWs).
when my PASM goes, if it goes, I'd get the bilstein damptronic suspension. Everything else would be case by case, I don't much care for the SPASM on my car so that's an easy decision.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:28 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
What are common repairs facing the 997 owner where it makes sense to modify the car vs do an OEM replace and repair?

As an example - the suspension needs replacement and is out of warranty. Does it make sense for the owner to trash the OEM suspension and 'upgrade' to aftermarket?

In every case this is for a long term keeper for the owner and not looking at how the mods may affect resale.
If the car is a long term keeper and resale is not a concern, then it's aftermarket for pretty much everything... suspension, aero, wheels, tires, even drivetrain if I actually wanted more power.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:52 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
Question

slightly off-topic, but if you have a base 997.2, would changing to Bilstein damptronic suspension act like PASM?
My wife hates my car as it rides too rough. With the Bilstein damptronic suspension, would it be possible soften up the suspension?
Old 05-08-2019, 09:06 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cringely
slightly off-topic, but if you have a base 997.2, would changing to Bilstein damptronic suspension act like PASM?
My wife hates my car as it rides too rough. With the Bilstein damptronic suspension, would it be possible soften up the suspension?
I have Damptronics and they are great on smooth backroads but otherwise they are rough. The better and cheaper option people here recommend is the DSC controller. I may do that if I can convince my wife. A new kitchen ought to do it.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:19 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by mujeriega
If the car is a long term keeper and resale is not a concern, then it's aftermarket for pretty much everything... suspension, aero, wheels, tires, even drivetrain if I actually wanted more power.

Mostly agree. Except Aero.

I plan to keep my car and even if not I decided when I bought it to make it how I want it. For me that's primarily OEM+ type of upgrades. In general I dont take things off my car and put the same quality back. If the brake pads come off to be replaced its going to be better. When the rotors come off the replacement will be lighter and with better wear characteristics. Wheels.. same thing, much lighter and with better offsets. I wouldnt spend the money on something like a 911 and not also look for continual improvement.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:49 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I wouldnt change to aftermkt unless you have specific wants and needs
Old 05-09-2019, 01:03 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by okbarnett
I wouldnt change to aftermkt unless you have specific wants and needs

+1

Is there something lacking in the OE system you find lacking? Just know that usually one mod begets another.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:53 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

More than anything just curious about mods people make when the opportunity presents itself. In the long run I think I trust the Porsche engineers that are trying to make the best compromise between longevity, performance, user expereince and cost.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

There's virtually no part of my car left untouched with some type of modification - bodywork, engine, suspension, wheels, interior trim, etc, etc, etc. If Porsche equipped a car like mine from new, no one would likely have ever paid the cost of what's invested in it - they would have just bought a GT2, but it's exactly the way I want it. The only thing I replace with OEM parts are things like switches or sensors, but for almost everything else I can find something of higher quality or that I like the looks of better, or this is just a better part.

C4SDayton, you need the DSC box with some custom mapping and then you'll love, love, love your Damptronics.

cringely, no you can't add Damptronics to a base car that doesn't have PASM. You can swap the suspension for different coilovers like B8s or B10s, but the B16 Damptronics only work with the PASM adjustable suspension.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:08 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OP used suspension as just an example. My car is a keeper, and when the engine suffered scoring I went with an RND replacement which has numerous internal upgrades. Plus I added in the IMS Solution vs ceramic bearing retrofit. The cost was comparable to having a local shop rebuilt it stock, and less than a factory crate engine (assuming I could even have sourced one), and I do not believe it will lower the resale value. As for other mods, I think it depends on what kind of surgery is required to install them. The more economically they could be reverted to stock, the less potential impact on resale. For example I replaced my sand beige shift+boot, e-brake handle, headlight and ignition bezels, overhead console with black, but I kept the originals and it's a simple job to switch them back. Eventually I plan to repaint my main console in black, but even that is simple respray back to beige if I ever want to sell the car and a buyer considers it a dealbreaker.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:56 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Bummer, I would have liked to have the ability to switch to a softer suspension setting.
Besides which, she just got a new kitchen (much more than a trade for a 997.2S)

Quick Reply: Repair with OEM or make a mod ?