Default Reliability of super cars......

Go to 7:15…….

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 05-05-2019, 12:23 PM
Milo2361
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd agree, the two Porsches I've owned have been extremely reliable compared to other stuff I've had - my 80 SC ran almost 100k mi under my ownership and the only thing I replaced was the old CIS K-jetronic with a modern EFI (didn't even need to, as mine was running well, just wanted the extra power and sense of security), its new owner is somewhere in Kentucky and last I knew he was still enjoying it! The 997 was great until the engine blew after 20k trouble free miles, but trouble free since with $0 in additional maint. so far. so I guess not that reliable? but it is now?

My biggest gripe - and I suppose I probably have no room to talk since I can't afford a brand new Porsche, nor would I ever willingly buy a brand new ANYTHING due to instant depreciation (my 997 MSRP was 79,000, bought it for 30k at 50,000mi, and the only reason I feel I can afford it is because I can do 85% of the maintenance myself), is the absolute crap warranty a Porsche has. 4yr/50k mi. I would think that for a company so obsessed with being the best at everything (handling, reliability, customer service, etc etc) they should offer 10yr/100,000 mi factory warranty, especially for a car that runs over $100k. If the factory isn't expecting it to break, why not back that up with a better warranty? Always makes me think that they're expecting something to go wrong right around that 50-60k mark, thus pulling in more profit since the customer now has the bill. or I might be crazy? lol I also would suspect they'd snag a few more customers knowing that their 6 figure purchase is backed for 10 years. (maybe not enough extra customers, so that might be why they don't?)

Last edited by Milo2361; 05-05-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:27 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

I always like watching Rob's videos. Thanks for the link. Of course he's telling us what this group already knows and why we're in the 997 forum to start with
Old 05-06-2019, 09:35 AM
lmaternick
Instructor

Those other European car marques get better once they are bought by German companies such as Porsche/VW/Audi. Process of manufacturing is important and no matter what anyone says...the Germans are the masters of process for profit in balance with process for quality......drop the mic

Pick up the mic.......Porsche can do better though.....some stuff is lazy and lacking. .....and modern Porsches aren't exotic class IMO. I fell awesome driving mine but it still is a car that almost anyone can own if you can afford to own any car and maintain it.

Drop the mic.

Pick it up.

Just kidding.

Last edited by lmaternick; 05-06-2019 at 09:41 AM. Reason: drinking...lol
Old 05-06-2019, 09:55 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Milo2361
I'd agree, the two Porsches I've owned have been extremely reliable compared to other stuff I've had - my 80 SC ran almost 100k mi under my ownership and the only thing I replaced was the old CIS K-jetronic with a modern EFI (didn't even need to, as mine was running well, just wanted the extra power and sense of security), its new owner is somewhere in Kentucky and last I knew he was still enjoying it! The 997 was great until the engine blew after 20k trouble free miles, but trouble free since with $0 in additional maint. so far. so I guess not that reliable? but it is now?

My biggest gripe - and I suppose I probably have no room to talk since I can't afford a brand new Porsche, nor would I ever willingly buy a brand new ANYTHING due to instant depreciation (my 997 MSRP was 79,000, bought it for 30k at 50,000mi, and the only reason I feel I can afford it is because I can do 85% of the maintenance myself), is the absolute crap warranty a Porsche has. 4yr/50k mi. I would think that for a company so obsessed with being the best at everything (handling, reliability, customer service, etc etc) they should offer 10yr/100,000 mi factory warranty, especially for a car that runs over $100k. If the factory isn't expecting it to break, why not back that up with a better warranty? Always makes me think that they're expecting something to go wrong right around that 50-60k mark, thus pulling in more profit since the customer now has the bill. or I might be crazy? lol I also would suspect they'd snag a few more customers knowing that their 6 figure purchase is backed for 10 years. (maybe not enough extra customers, so that might be why they don't?)
Almost every Porsche owner pushes their car to its limits on a regular basis. It's the reason they bought a sports car. It's far less expensive for a manufacturer to offer prolonged warranties on cars which rarely if ever exceed 3K RPM than on sports cars. Moreover, Porsche offers the same warranty as other high end German cars like Audi, BMW, and Mercedes Benz.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:56 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

I am not so sure about putting Germany on a pedestal. There is no doubt they have a culture of education and precision... that is true as I have spent time in Germany and saw it even in their door ***** (no kidding)... no doubt. But.... VW has had its share of crap quality.... BMW cars are becoming known as "Mechanic's Specials". The M96/M97 .. heck a loss of a class action suite for cripes sake. I have a few friends who have Mercedes with that air suspension thing... fabulous actually... and continually fail no matter the model year... and very expensive to repair.

All big companies have challenges when it comes to stock holder pressures, management span of control, etc etc etc..... They tend to cycle..... quality is down? Focus on quality. Costs are high? Focus on costs. Focusing on everything is just not possible in big organizations. They swing. The do whatever they need to do to meet the shorter-term objective of the year.

One of Porsche's value propositions has always been "bullet proof". Well they certainly dropped the ball for about 10 years didn't they?... because their mission for a while was to just "survive". What they or any company focus on is what the Board of Directors feel will drive growth and profit.. no matter the country, no matter the product... period. I suspect the German companies that focus on sales outside their boarders understand their reputation for engineering and quality drives sales and price premiums... and therefore put that as a yearly focus... but history shows that can swing as situations change.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-06-2019, 10:02 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Bruce, you summarized it very well. The bottom line is what drives everything.

Yves

Trending Topics

Old 05-06-2019, 10:07 AM
lmaternick
Instructor

Agreed...Bruce.
And Fast1.......Pushing our cars to the limits is what we should do. I think that was what you were saying,
Too many threads and too much concern over DME reports etc. Over revs happen. especially if you drive the car as it was designed for.
Over rev that girl.
I mean if a dme is trashy thats one thing but geez even reving up to the limiter logs in these cars.
Imagine how peaceful ones mind was back in the 90's when you just drove your car and didn't have to look at "997....failure...of whatnot....poll".......lol.
I bet most of the fear polls and posts are from Porsche shoppers and not owners.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:53 AM
Milo2361
Instructor

Originally Posted by fast1
Almost every Porsche owner pushes their car to its limits on a regular basis. It's the reason they bought a sports car. It's far less expensive for a manufacturer to offer prolonged warranties on cars which rarely if ever exceed 3K RPM than on sports cars. Moreover, Porsche offers the same warranty as other high end German cars like Audi, BMW, and Mercedes Benz.
I see the point - we do push our cars to the limit more than 95% of Corolla owners, a possible reason why Toyota's warranty is(slightly) better - 60 mo/60k mi powertrain from a quick google search. so really not even that good.

But isn't a Porsche designed to be pushed to the limit? we all know they're easily capable of running 100k+ hard miles, many of us have done it. but I feel like the 4yr/50k mi is a slight admission of "yeah its probably gonna break because you can only push it for 50k mi, so we don't want to pay for it when it does."

I still think if Porsche claims to be the best, most reliable, etc. (which they do), then they should put their money where their mouth is, destroy any competition and offer a 7/75k or 10 /100k warranty on a 6 figure car. hell, I'd even be more willing to adjust finances tog get into a new one instead of dabbling in the 7-12 year old range, especially since most warranties are transferrable - even used cars would be a bigger draw, because if I bought a 2012 today (7 years old) - most likely wont have any warranty left, or if it does, its the last 2-6 months of the CPO(basically worthless). with a 10 year warranty id have 3 full years left, much more likely to buy.

I read up on the GT3 concerned owners group - now they have a 10 year, 100k on that generation (991.1 I believe) of GT3 engine which is amazing. now if only the prices would drop from the $130k range to the 80k range then I could consider getting one.

Just my opinion - like I said, definitely cant afford new in my current state of affairs - just be nice if they'd truly back up their big talk. I'll always have a Porsche in the garage, best automotive experience I've ever had!

Last edited by Milo2361; 05-07-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:43 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Look at a lot of people with huge car collections and the pick of literally any car in the world to drive. What have I noticed? Many (if not most) drive 911s as their daily or regular drivers.

I agree not as exotic as their equivalents elsewhere but certainly the most reliable of the modern performance sports cars out there.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:49 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

I see the point - we do push our cars to the limit more than 95% of Corolla owners, a possible reason why Toyota's warranty is(slightly) better - 60 mo/60k mi powertrain from a quick google search. so really not even that good.
I'd like to differ: the Toyota Corolla or the Honda Civic owners are the ones pushing their cars to the limit every day of the year. If they don't, the vehicle does not move. Listen to these roaring 4 cylinders 1.2 or 1.4 liter engines, when they try to pass you or beat you at the red light. A small powered car is driven to the limit constantly, because there is no other way around it, if you want to move, merge on a highway and have a sense of safety on the road.

Yves
Old 05-07-2019, 04:58 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

I still think if Porsche claims to be the best, most reliable, etc. (which they do), then they should put their money where their mouth is, destroy any competition and offer a 7/75k or 10 /100k warranty on a 6 figure car. hell, I'd even be more willing to adjust finances tog get into a new one instead of dabbling in the 7-12 year old range, especially since most warranties are transferrable - even used cars would be a bigger draw, because if I bought a 2012 today (7 years old) - most likely wont have any warranty left, or if it does, its the last 2-6 months of the CPO(basically worthless). with a 10 year warranty id have 3 full years left, much more likely to buy.
Not to pick on what you are saying, but this will never happen. Porsche is building cars to make money! They are currently the most profitable car company with more than 17% of profitability on what they sell. In comparison, Toyota is at 1.5% but the volume is quite different. They also know that the 997.1 will have most of its components failing around 70K miles (the 100,000 kilometers more or less accepted limit used in Europe): clutch, water pump, starter, engine mounts, IMS, Cylinders scoring... etc...etc. Most likely they will reduce the length of their warranty as BMW did recently by moving to 3 years, 36K miles.

Porsche Cars on this forum are probably apparently more reliable, because their owners are doing preemptive maintenance and are **** and enthusiastic about their car. I also believe that quite of few of us do not want to admit publicly (on this forum) that something went wrong with our beloved possession.

Yves

PS: talking about that huge 17% margin, the Porsche CEO was saying recently that it is going to be a lot more difficult to make as much profit with electric cars (Taycan). The reason is that they do not control the major components (electric motors and batteries) like they used to.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:59 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Honda is also good about keeping failures under wraps. There was a period where Honda was replacing minivan transmissions without customer knowledge in order to maintain their reputation for reliability. Eventually the recall did happen.

http://www.hondaproblems.com/transmission-failure/
Old 05-07-2019, 05:35 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
Look at a lot of people with huge car collections and the pick of literally any car in the world to drive. What have I noticed? Many (if not most) drive 911s as their daily or regular drivers.

I agree not as exotic as their equivalents elsewhere but certainly the most reliable of the modern performance sports cars out there.

Check out the May 2019 issue of CAR, the Brit car mag. It features an 8 pages lo
ng article
comparing the 992 C2s vs the Audi R8 V10 coupe and the McLaren 570S.
In one word, while acknowledging the exoticism and superior power and torque of its rivals, CAR
concluded:" The best sports car here is the McLaren 570S. The best car here is the Porsche 911- there it is, out in the open.Phew.
The 992 generation Carrera S is a phenomenal machine from a team of engineers with it all on their side: budget, group-wide technical resource, a GT programme
from which to borrow ideas, an unbridled enthusiasm for the job at hand and, crucially, the time to drive, drive and drive again each succesive prototype that led them there.
At the heart of the 911's appeal is its rubbishing (sic) of the notion that compromise, refinement and versatility are all somewhat dirty words"

It is an excellent read with very good arguments. The same issue also checks out the new BMW 3 series.

Last edited by ogun228; 05-07-2019 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-07-2019, 06:37 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,404 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
ha, no they dont

Quick Reply: Reliability of super cars......