Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliability of super cars......

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 11:19 PM
lmaternick
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

well that and going around an on/ off ramp trying to balance oversteer with understeer qualify with pushing some limits. No doubt these cars are capable of doing that all day long, which would be truly pushing them to the limits......N-ring type stuff. Even Autobahn is perhaps wide open throttle in places but not pushing handling to limits. I have bumped off the rev limiter on many occasions and even had a very short missed shift a couple times but its the handling limits that take your breath away when it happens. Usually going way too fast and too comfortable......and in the wrong gear.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:26 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by lmaternick
well that and going around an on/ off ramp trying to balance oversteer with understeer qualify with pushing some limits. No doubt these cars are capable of doing that all day long, which would be truly pushing them to the limits......N-ring type stuff. Even Autobahn is perhaps wide open throttle in places but not pushing handling to limits. I have bumped off the rev limiter on many occasions and even had a very short missed shift a couple times but its the handling limits that take your breath away when it happens. Usually going way too fast and too comfortable......and in the wrong gear.
I agree with your description of pushing a car, but I simplified mine because of the context of the discussion. The context was why doesn't Porsche offer longer warranties, when some inexpensive cars offer them. Just a guess on my part but I strongly suspect that Toyota Corollas or Honda Civics are rarely if ever driven past 3K RPM, whereas many Porsches spend most of their time in that range. Most of these "low end" cars have CVT transmissions, which are programmed for maximum gas mileage and not performance. So my point was that it would be a lot less expensive for Toyota or Honda to offer 7 year/70K mile warranties, than it would be for Porsche. Granted that Porsche engines are built to withstand sustained high RPM driving, but parts do wear and they wear faster when stressed. An extreme example is a race car engine. Notwithstanding the fact that they are built for sustained driving at red line, their longevity is measured in hours.

Quick Reply: Reliability of super cars......