Sponsored by:

Radio blaring at start up

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 11:51 PM
HEIL911
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Radio blaring at start up

I have a 2009 C2S 997.2 launch edition with most of the available options and a few aftermarket mods. I'm the 2nd owner and really enjoy the car which primarily serves as a weekend fun machine. That said, there are a few idiosyncrasies that need to be corrected beginning with the entertainment system. For some reason the radio comes on at high volume when the car is started regardless of whether the radio was turned off or down prior to shutting off the car. I presume this is default setting switched on by the prior owned but not sure and there is nothing in the manual to provide a clue on how to modify the operation. I just want the radio to turn on when I choose to turn it on. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:05 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

You may need to reprogram and resave the default settings that are associated with the key you're using. When you lock then unlock the car with one of the key fobs, it reloads the memory profile settings associated with that key. If you use your other key, does it do the same thing?

Find the pages in the manual about storing and associating personal settings with a specific key - things such as HVAC, seats, mirror position, backup mirror tip down preference, door locking and unlocking behavior, radio presents and volume, and a few other things.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:58 PM
HEIL911
Intermediate

Thank you Petza for the suggestions. I used my other key to start the car and the result was the same. The radio comes on automatically despite the fact I turned it off the last time the car was running. Is this a normal occurrence? Does the audio system (radio, CD, etc) automatically turn on when the car is started? As for the manual(s), I read through all the relevant sections in both the Owners Manual and PCM Manual and there was no reference to the key fobs controlling the audio settings. Here is what the PCM Manual says about switching the PCM on and off: "The PCM is permanently active. If the PCM was previously switched off using the rotary **** (volume control), this **** must be pressed again after the ignition is switched on." By the way, these manuals require some detective work as not all information about a specific topic is listed in the Table of Contents or Index - sometimes there is just a text reference to another section of the manual. I guess this is just another idiosyncrasy of the famous Porsche brand.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:16 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by HEIL911
Thank you Petza for the suggestions. I used my other key to start the car and the result was the same. The radio comes on automatically despite the fact I turned it off the last time the car was running. Is this a normal occurrence? Does the audio system (radio, CD, etc) automatically turn on when the car is started? As for the manual(s), I read through all the relevant sections in both the Owners Manual and PCM Manual and there was no reference to the key fobs controlling the audio settings. Here is what the PCM Manual says about switching the PCM on and off: "The PCM is permanently active. If the PCM was previously switched off using the rotary **** (volume control), this **** must be pressed again after the ignition is switched on." By the way, these manuals require some detective work as not all information about a specific topic is listed in the Table of Contents or Index - sometimes there is just a text reference to another section of the manual. I guess this is just another idiosyncrasy of the famous Porsche brand.
There's a separate manual for the PCM system and in it is a section on "Individual Memory". This is where you can link preferences to a specific key, but if both your keys are doing that, it seems unlikely. Also, I believe this memory functionality only gets loaded when the car is unlocked from being locked. If you turn of the PCM, shut off the car, don't lock it, then get back in and restart it, the PCM should stay where you last set it. If it turns on automatically again and at full volume, it sounds like you may have a problem with the PCM itself.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:41 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Another 2009 C4S. I don't have the that problem, but I do have an odd one that is similar. I have an iPod hooked up with the factory iPod harness. Occasionally, when I turn the car on, it returns to the previous volume and it doesn't allow you to change it unless you turn the radio off and back on again. It has only done this when the iPod is connected.

I do notice that the PCM turns on the last source regardless of its state when I shut the car off. Just a peculiarity of the PCM3 I think. But it turns on at whatever volume I left it at before I turned if off last, not loud unless I left it loud last time out.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:27 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I looked at the PCM manual and it seems like there isn't mention of anything to do with volume in the individual settings.
http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...ividual-memory

But, the PCM system is a bit quirky so I have a few questions about how you're using it that may help.
What audio sources are you typically using? The sound settings (bass, etc) are per source, meaning that if you turn the bass up on FM, it doesn't translate to CD or Aux.
Likewise, I dont remember if this is a setting or not, but sometimes if a certain source isn't available it will default to another, which may have different settings.
If you're still having issues try performing the factory reset and see if that changes the behavior.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:25 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

This post mentioned pressing the volume button will only mute it and holding it down would actually turn it off.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13223822
Old 05-06-2019, 04:15 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I had this high-volume on startup issue sporadically a few years ago. As it happened, I replaced the battery not long after the issue popped up and after replacing the battery, I haven't had it happen since. I just assumed it was one of the random ghosts in the machine that pop up when your battery is dying.

Try disconnecting the battery and re-attaching it to clear any pre-sets. How old is your battery, and have you noticed any other weird electrical gremlins lately?
Old 05-07-2019, 07:16 AM
MaximumA
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've found that I need to turn off the PCM completely, black screen, so that on start-up, I need to restart the whole system. Otherwise, you get an ear blasting...
Old 05-09-2019, 11:32 PM
HEIL911
Intermediate

Some times small things make a big difference. After pursuing each suggestion, I discovered I was not turning off the audio system, just muting it, before turning off the car. Starting the car again cancels the mute. For some odd reason, Porsche incorporated the mute function into the on/off ****. A shorter push mutes the system while a longer push turns it off. As for the loudness issue, I discovered the memory settings for each input source (radio, CD, etc) had been set for loudness and higher bass. So it was a easy fix once I learned the hidden nuances of the PCM. Thanks to all who responded.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:50 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

This - radio on full blast upon startup is a common indicator of a battery that needs replacing

Originally Posted by Iceter
I had this high-volume on startup issue sporadically a few years ago. As it happened, I replaced the battery not long after the issue popped up and after replacing the battery, I haven't had it happen since. I just assumed it was one of the random ghosts in the machine that pop up when your battery is dying.

Try disconnecting the battery and re-attaching it to clear any pre-sets. How old is your battery, and have you noticed any other weird electrical gremlins lately?

Quick Reply: Radio blaring at start up