Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 C4S PDK question/maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 09:51 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Big Swole is right - get the warranty. I wouldn't own one of these cars (and many others) without one or until I was willing to have an indy swap in a used PDK or whatever. It's everything. In reality and I know this sounds nuts, if my car ever goes in a major way after the warranty expires, I will have an electric conversion done which should last until I am worm food.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:57 PM
pilfer
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
Big Swole is right - get the warranty. I wouldn't own one of these cars (and many others) without one or until I was willing to have an indy swap in a used PDK or whatever. It's everything. In reality and I know this sounds nuts, if my car ever goes in a major way after the warranty expires, I will have an electric conversion done which should last until I am worm food.
lol

saw some add for a vintage beetle with a tesla drive train on TV the other day. If my PDK goes I'd compare the cost of a manual conversion with a new PDK vs ditching it for a 964. I guess it would be a 7 spd manual from the new 991?? I don't know if anyone has done a PDK to manual swap on a 997. Someone did it to a 991 GT3RS though.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:36 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Stark
Hi all!

So I have read that the PDK feel is quite different from an automatic, but I am experiencing things that just don't feel right.

First, the clutch seems to slip occasionally, especially on cold start-up. There are occasions I need to give it more gas before the clutch engages, but this is largely only when cold.
Second, the transmission itself seems to be a bit choppy at low speeds. This may also be to clutch slippage?

I am about to hit 50K miles, and I have owned it for less than three. I would venture a guess that the PDK has not been serviced. Should I take to Porsche for a full PDK service, or would an indy be just as good with changing the fluids, and re-callibrating the clutch?
Best I can tell you haven't mentioned if your PDK car has Sport Chrono or not. Without it, PDK sucks to the point where you think there's something wrong with it while it's just doing its thing without properly assisted by SC. I wouldn't own a PDK car without SC or without warranty for that matter.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:01 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Best I can tell you haven't mentioned if your PDK car has Sport Chrono or not. Without it, PDK sucks to the point where you think there's something wrong with it while it's just doing its thing without properly assisted by SC. I wouldn't own a PDK car without SC or without warranty for that matter.
Yes on Sport Chrono. Without Sport mode, it feels like a Honda Accord...lol
Old 04-26-2019, 04:14 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Old 04-27-2019, 02:05 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Christian Stark
Bronz,

at nearly 10 years and 50K miles, would you advise having the PDK serviced 10K miles early? It MAY have been serviced by its previous owner (deceased), but I have no ability to verify...
Even if the previous owner is deceased, can't you find out where he/she had the car serviced? Whoever serviced the car should be able to tell you what's been done and when. Worth a bit of detective work since the 60,000 mile PDK service isn't cheap. Had mine done not long ago.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:06 AM
Christian Stark
Racer

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Even if the previous owner is deceased, can't you find out where he/she had the car serviced? Whoever serviced the car should be able to tell you what's been done and when. Worth a bit of detective work since the 60,000 mile PDK service isn't cheap. Had mine done not long ago.
Unfortunately, the Porsche Dealership in Atlantic City, is closed. I was unable to get much out of the Mercedes dealership up there regarding the details. Im considering getting the 6 and 12 year maintenance done.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:09 PM
ilovemaui
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 182 Posts

I took my new to me 2009 S with PDK to the local dealer and inquired about PDK fluid change and they told me I was fine and I didn't need to do the fluid change for two more years even though the car has 48,000 miles. I called a local indie who is supposed to be really good with Porsche and I came away from the call feeling like I knew more than they did and I've only owned the car for a week. They quoted me $1650 for fluid/filter change. I asked them if the dual clutch used the same fluid and they said yes. I pressed a little more and the guy said they would flush the clutch master cylinder! I questioned if an automatic would have a clutch master cylinder and the guy danced around the question until finally agreeing that it did not. It was obvious to me that these guys have never done a PDK fluid change. I'm running away from those guys as fast as I can. I don't want someone educated on my dime.

I would like to do the PDK fluid change myself. I have a lift in my garage and all the necessary tools. I would love to see a WIS or equivalent documentation on the proceedure. I understand that the filter is integrated into the pan but I have yet to find pictures or video of the process.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:26 PM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
I took my new to me 2009 S with PDK to the local dealer and inquired about PDK fluid change and they told me I was fine and I didn't need to do the fluid change for two more years even though the car has 48,000 miles. I called a local indie who is supposed to be really good with Porsche and I came away from the call feeling like I knew more than they did and I've only owned the car for a week. They quoted me $1650 for fluid/filter change. I asked them if the dual clutch used the same fluid and they said yes. I pressed a little more and the guy said they would flush the clutch master cylinder! I questioned if an automatic would have a clutch master cylinder and the guy danced around the question until finally agreeing that it did not. It was obvious to me that these guys have never done a PDK fluid change. I'm running away from those guys as fast as I can. I don't want someone educated on my dime.

I would like to do the PDK fluid change myself. I have a lift in my garage and all the necessary tools. I would love to see a WIS or equivalent documentation on the proceedure. I understand that the filter is integrated into the pan but I have yet to find pictures or video of the process.
PDK fluid change requires a PIWIS to put the transmission into fill mode. The filter is integrated into the pan so to change the filter you have to replace the pan. The pan also has a special torque setting that the workshop manual says requires a special digital torque wrench but any good digital torque wrench would work. I would have the dealer do it over an indi shop in this case unless it is an indy you really trust and they have a current PIWIS. I have found dealers to be priced better then indi shops for this service. At least in my area. Cost at my local dealer is about $1,100 if I remember correctly.

Jeff
Old 04-29-2019, 09:39 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jbaker136
PDK fluid change requires a PIWIS to put the transmission into fill mode. The filter is integrated into the pan so to change the filter you have to replace the pan. The pan also has a special torque setting that the workshop manual says requires a special digital torque wrench but any good digital torque wrench would work. I would have the dealer do it over an indi shop in this case unless it is an indy you really trust and they have a current PIWIS. I have found dealers to be priced better then indi shops for this service. At least in my area. Cost at my local dealer is about $1,100 if I remember correctly.

This is also what I paid for the pan/filter and flush. I also agree that having a dealer do it makes most sense (for various reasons that do not have to do with tools or know-how)
Old 04-29-2019, 11:21 PM
ilovemaui
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 182 Posts

Jeff
It's my understanding the PIWIS is only for checking the fluid temperature.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:34 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Jeff
That's what I paid or slightly more.

Originally Posted by Fined
This is also what I paid for the pan/filter and flush. I also agree that having a dealer do it makes most sense (for various reasons that do not have to do with tools or know-how)
I agree. Having been through a PDK failure requiring replacement and a PDK that stopped working the day after the 60,000 mile service (by a Porsche dealership), there's obviously more to this than the right tools and know how. I believe the PDK is a robust transmission but it also seems to require precise maintenance by techs that aren't doing it for the first time and without proper training. In my case I was told the shop foreman at the dealership did the 60,000 mile service on my car and he still didn't get it right. And the fact that certified Porsche techs are limited to so few items they're even allowed to touch on the PDK should give anyone considering DIY work on a PDK pause I think.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:20 AM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
It's my understanding the PIWIS is only for checking the fluid temperature.
The PIWIS is to put the PDK into fill mode. This shuts off the cooling loop for 5 minutes once the fluid reaches a certain temp range (between 30 and 40 Celsius). There are some folks who will drain and fill by measuring what comes out and putting the same amount back in so no PIWIS needed. This may require adjusting the vehicle angle on jacks and stands. Some will drain and fill themselves and go to dealer for just the top off with PIWIS. Some who track a lot say to drain and fill yearly and also offer advice on resetting the PDK learning to adapt for the fluid change. If you search this and the other forums (for models that also offer PDK) you will find lots of information on the PDK service process and what folks have paid or tried themselves. Until the DIY process is vetted and well documented I will continue to have the dealer do it every 2 years or so. You can even buy the BRS billet PDK pan with replaceable filters if you plan to change the PDK fluid frequently. Hope this helps.

Jeff
Old 04-30-2019, 10:18 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default PDK

Had my 09 c4s fluid and filter change at 23k miles, car shifts much smoother , night and day difference
Old 05-01-2019, 01:15 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Porsche dealer did my PDK service and there's no mention of a pan / filter replacement.
Bill was $629.00 for the fluid and labor.
I even mentioned to the service writer that I thought I'd seen post / read that it required more than just the fluid.
They acted like there was nothing more to do than the fluid.

Why would a large well know Porsche dealer service dept. not do the pan / filter if that's what's required, according to you guys?

Quick Reply: 2009 C4S PDK question/maintenance