Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   2009 C4S PDK question/maintenance (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1139872-2009-c4s-pdk-question-maintenance.html)

Christian Stark 04-23-2019 12:32 PM

2009 C4S PDK question/maintenance

Hi all!

So I have read that the PDK feel is quite different from an automatic, but I am experiencing things that just don't feel right.

First, the clutch seems to slip occasionally, especially on cold start-up. There are occasions I need to give it more gas before the clutch engages, but this is largely only when cold.
Second, the transmission itself seems to be a bit choppy at low speeds. This may also be to clutch slippage?

I am about to hit 50K miles, and I have owned it for less than three. I would venture a guess that the PDK has not been serviced. Should I take to Porsche for a full PDK service, or would an indy be just as good with changing the fluids, and re-callibrating the clutch?

bronz 04-23-2019 12:34 PM

everything you described is normal for PDK

Christian Stark 04-23-2019 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by bronz (Post 15793294)
everything you described is normal for PDK

Bronz,

at nearly 10 years and 50K miles, would you advise having the PDK serviced 10K miles early? It MAY have been serviced by its previous owner (deceased), but I have no ability to verify...

bronz 04-23-2019 12:51 PM

yes i would get it done earlier, especially being 10 years old.

91469972 04-23-2019 02:53 PM

PDK

My original acted like this and after warranty ended lucky I had extended Fidelity since it needed replacement. The new version doesn’t act like my 2009 original seems like less slipping and engagement lapse.

Fined 04-23-2019 03:20 PM

if its a 2009 the PDK service on it is way overdue regardless of mileage. The service advice from porsche is bound by both time and mileage (either or, whichever comes first). Not just mileage. The engine mounts are likely due as well which can aggravate the sensation of jerkiness.

pilfer 04-23-2019 05:54 PM

6 years or 60k mi. I had mine done at six years and had less than 30k mi on it at the time.

Hatzenbach 04-23-2019 09:59 PM

I never seems to reach the point where I should service the PDK. They always fail before that.
I’m on PDK #3

Balr14 04-24-2019 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach (Post 15794456)
I never seems to reach the point where I should service the PDK. They always fail before that.
I’m on PDK #3

Do you track it a lot? If so, it needs extra cooling.

Hatzenbach 04-25-2019 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Balr14 (Post 15796164)
Do you track it a lot? If so, it needs extra cooling.

Yes and Yes. But and all my searches on how to achieve that went into nowhere.
There are cooling solutions available for the Cayman, but not the Carrera.
Basically everyone I asked, told me "get a GT3"

Big Swole 04-25-2019 11:50 AM

Yes definitly do the PDK service.

Buy a Fidelity warranty also, if it's in your budget.

Christian Stark 04-25-2019 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Big Swole (Post 15797962)
Yes definitly do the PDK service.

Buy a Fidelity warranty also, if it's in your budget.

Those Fidelity Warranties are super expensive from what I have seen for a 2009 C4S. I do most of my own work on the car in terms of preventative, but the parts on the car are hugely expensive so I may reconsider it. Thanks!

I am reserved about trying a PDK service on it. I have.a Durametric, but I don't think it supports clutch re-learn, and I don't have a lift...I also heard the process is not easy, and its one hella expensive part. This is my one and only vehicle aside from my wife.

TXshaggy 04-25-2019 01:32 PM

There are 2 PDK services; clutch oil at 6 years and transmission oil at 12. Just had the clutch oil serviced for the 2nd time on my 987.2 Spyder. It’s my understanding this requires special equipment and be done at a dealer or equivalent. I haven’t done the transmission service, but the SA said it requires a new $400 pan as that’s where the filter is.

Big Swole 04-25-2019 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Christian Stark (Post 15798203)
Those Fidelity Warranties are super expensive from what I have seen for a 2009 C4S. I do most of my own work on the car in terms of preventative, but the parts on the car are hugely expensive so I may reconsider it. Thanks!

I am reserved about trying a PDK service on it. I have.a Durametric, but I don't think it supports clutch re-learn, and I don't have a lift...I also heard the process is not easy, and its one hella expensive part. This is my one and only vehicle aside from my wife.

Being over 35K miles will make it more expensive but you should shop around.
I bought a 6 year / 60k mile (added to what the car already has) Platinum Fidelity w/ $250 deducible for $5503.00
Your's would be a bit higher due to mileage, but compared to a $14K + PDK replacement, it's still way less.

ryangambrill 04-25-2019 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Christian Stark (Post 15798203)

Age has very little to no impact on Fidelity cost. Mileage is almost everything. Price jumps considerably when you have more than 25k miles.

I recently priced out two exact vehicles with only difference being mileage. The price savings on the vehicle with 18k mikes was thousands cheaper with additional years in duration available.

The savings in warranty easily made made up for the price premium for the vehicle with lower mileage.