Sponsored by:

1st time buyer - Insights needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 10:46 PM
Westside997
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mujeriega
Forgot to mention in earlier message, I think for the 997.2 you should be going with Driven DI40 and with BR40 for the flush. Also, you'll find a better price at LN Engineering: https://lnengineering.com/joe-gibbs-...12-quarts.html
Nice catch and thanks for looking out! I had actually meant DI vs DT above (all of my research is starting to cross my wires and create typos). I ended up going with the BR40 as well for the flush although viscosity probably has little impact given the temps here in CA and limited amount of time the oil will be in the engine. I ended up ordering from Summit (already had an account) and the price is per quart is the same an LN, free shipping etc.

I must have had BR30 on the brain since I'll be using it in another car when I fire that engine up. Ed Pink Racing did the machine work on that block and they highly recommend Joe Gibbs products, thus my interest in them. Apparently they have developed motors with Singer Vehicle Design in the past. I just ran across this video on their website (www.edpink.com) where it talks about their process. (I have a feeling it's already been seen around here)
Old 05-07-2019, 02:37 AM
black997er
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great buy OP! Your journey mirrors mine: started with looking for a 997.1 -> realized the potential pitfalls there (addressable) -> realized 997.2’s were in reach with a similar budget stretched a bit -> found a good deal. Cheers! And enjoy the car!
Old 05-07-2019, 02:59 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Westside997
Actually most of these punch list items look straight forward based on the service manual and the various youtube videos I've seen. I've restored two cars, suffered through a difficult engine swap, and assembled a few motors so I'm not averse to taking things apart and researching/ figuring it all out. I've found that most service manuals give a pretty clear step-by-step process. If you can follow instructions and have the appropriate tools you really can do the majority of this stuff yourself in less time than you think. But that assumes an interest in such things, there's plenty of other ways to spend one's time. It's a hobby for me and I like knowing if I do the job it'll be "done right" and to factory spec. There's no doubt there are great shops that'll do the same quality job, but I've always liked being integral to my car's mechanical wellbeing, and for me it makes turning the ignition key just a bit sweeter.

I like to work on my cars. Used to do just about everything on my British roadsters (Triumph TR6 and a couple of MGB's) but what's gotten me less motivated over the years is the increased complexity, mostly involving electronics and a busier work schedule. I know, it should be the other way around and maybe I'll get there one of these days.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:02 AM
Westside997
Instructor

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I like to work on my cars. Used to do just about everything on my British roadsters (Triumph TR6 and a couple of MGB's) but what's gotten me less motivated over the years is the increased complexity, mostly involving electronics and a busier work schedule. I know, it should be the other way around and maybe I'll get there one of these days.
Oh man, I hear ya! I'm on the road quite a bit and it's real demotivating when you face a mile long punch list of to-do items when you finally have some downtime. I'm currently trying to add a Motec M130 and PDM15 to my 1969 Datsun 510, the hard way (by using the all the OEM dash harness and switches as digital inputs). I gotta say it's almost breaking me. In the meantime I'm trying to teach myself how to TIG weld, learn CAD to design prototype parts and 3D print. I need to add a cam sensor to my 510 motor and eventually try to add a lysholm twin-screw supercharger, one of these days. Last month I found myself deep-researching entry level CNC mills and lathes (watch This Old Tony on Youtube, he's really great), as well as DIY backyard foundries for casting aluminum.

Maybe I just need therapist...
Old 05-07-2019, 04:03 AM
Westside997
Instructor

Originally Posted by black997er
Great buy OP! Your journey mirrors mine: started with looking for a 997.1 -> realized the potential pitfalls there (addressable) -> realized 997.2’s were in reach with a similar budget stretched a bit -> found a good deal. Cheers! And enjoy the car!
Thanks!

Quick Reply: 1st time buyer - Insights needed