Sponsored by:

Clutch bleed intervals?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 02:58 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 754 Likes on 407 Posts
Default Clutch bleed intervals?

How often do you guys get the clutch bled? I just had this done along with the brake fluid flush on my 07S. Just wondering how often the clutch itself should be bled. I think I only did it once over 17 yrs I had my Boxster, and the clutch seemed fine still.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:31 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

My car is 11 years old and I have never bled the clutch system. I have the brake fluid changed every two years.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:40 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Never done in any other cars I've done, which may not be wise to others but no issues in 15 cars and 500k plus miles. Brake fluid can last 3-4 years and no reason not to have them test moisture content to decide when to change. If you change yourself than cheap enough every 2 years is no big deal if you don't mind the time.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:58 PM
Carerra
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a bubble in mine. Was a PITA getting the clutch to disengage. Bleeding it fixed the problem. If you don't have a problem, I would not sweat it. I did it on a BMW once because it was on the service interval. Would have been easy with a helper. Really hard as just one.

The difference is, where the slave is located. On the 997.2 it is "not trivial" to reach it. I assume the same for the 2007. However, the trained tech's can do it without disassembling everything that I would have to to reach it.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:24 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 109 Posts

Either flush (rather than bleed) it every time you flush the brakes, or do it never. Flushing the clutch regularly will get the crud out and help the seals survive longer, and it's what I do for my cars. Never flushing it will let sleeping dogs lie. Flushing it irregularly may dislodge crud that is benign where it rests (the sleeping dog), moving it to where it can compromise seals. Good luck!
Old 04-12-2019, 08:37 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Ok, thanks guys. Guess I won’t do this again for a long time. Lol
Old 04-12-2019, 09:11 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

I have been told the 997.2 clutch fluid is tied to the brake fluid. When you flush the brakes you are also flushing the clutch too.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:38 PM
Carerra
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
I have been told the 997.2 clutch fluid is tied to the brake fluid. When you flush the brakes you are also flushing the clutch too.
I found some tech drawings I look at sometimes. This seems correct. There are goesintos as well as goesoutofs on this clutch system. So it must be flushing as you use it.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:55 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Both the 997.1 and 997. 2 have the hydraulic clutch system sharing fluid with the brake system, however, where the 997.2 self bleeds, the 997.1 requires a separate bleed process.

It should be done whenever the brake fluid is flushed as it's the same fluid.

I use a long bolt ratchet system with a silicone hose and catch bag. This let's you loosen the bleed screw and then retighten it without removing the tool and keeps things nice and tidy.

Last edited by Petza914; 04-13-2019 at 11:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (04-30-2024)
Old 04-13-2019, 11:21 AM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

If most of the fluid is in reservoir and brake lines cw clutch, is it fair to assume when brake fluid is changed that any soluble contaminants in clutch fluid will equilabrate with much larger volume elsewhere over time. I assume flushing clutch separately will get out more nonsoluable "gunk," but that's probably pretty small amount. I didn't see in Porsche recommended service where clutch fluid flush should be done and my Indy didn't think important to do when I had brake fluid done last fall.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:44 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
If most of the fluid is in reservoir and brake lines cw clutch, is it fair to assume when brake fluid is changed that any soluble contaminants in clutch fluid will equilabrate with much larger volume elsewhere over time. I assume flushing clutch separately will get out more nonsoluable "gunk," but that's probably pretty small amount. I didn't see in Porsche recommended service where clutch fluid flush should be done and my Indy didn't think important to do when I had brake fluid done last fall.
In a 997.2, yes, but I don't think so in a 997.1 as the fluid gets trapped in the clutch system and why it has a bleed nipple. With the right setup, it's a 5 minute job when you're changing oil and have access under the car. Use an assistant and do it the old fashion way. Them in the car and you under. Put the ratchet with hose on the bleed screw. Have them lightly push on the clutch pedal while you loosen the bleed screw - you only want them to push the pedal to about 80% of the travel. When they get to that level, have them hold it there while you tighten the bleed screw, then do this cycle a few times - maybe 3-5.

Then you're done.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:57 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Thanks!... I don’t feel so bad for getting it done now. Lol. Clutch does feel nice and smooth and light, so can’t be that bad.

Originally Posted by Petza914
In a 997.2, yes, but I don't think so in a 997.1 as the fluid gets trapped in the clutch system and why it has a bleed nipple. With the right setup, it's a 5 minute job when you're changing oil and have access under the car. Use an assistant and do it the old fashion way. Them in the car and you under. Put the ratchet with hose on the bleed screw. Have them lightly push on the clutch pedal while you loosen the bleed screw - you only want them to push the pedal to about 80% of the travel. When they get to that level, have them hold it there while you tighten the bleed screw, then do this cycle a few times - maybe 3-5.

Then you're done.

Quick Reply: Clutch bleed intervals?