buying a 997.2 2009 CS4 - Need advice on the price

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 02:21 AM
ugotgrossed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Formerly Known As: 2008whitegt3

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

End of the day is if this car is what u want in option colors etc.... go and get it even if u paid a little too much. What's another 2-4k more or less. BUY IT DRIVE IT you will forget how much u paid after all the fun miles. Not a whole lot of clean 997 out there . I say do it
Old 04-18-2019, 03:13 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
$64k seems very high. S-PASM is nice but you can spend $3,000 on Ohlins and get a much better setup. It isn't worth much more than non SPASM to most people.

18-way sport seats are worth something, but again, they can be purchased for $3,000 here.

Full leather would be worth something, if this car had it.

I sold my full leather 2009 Basalt Black manual C2S with 12,000 miles here for $59,500 after about 2 months. That might give you someplace to start. That car has MSRP of $104k. If yours is higher, you can adjust up for the MSRP and adjust down for the mileage. Deduct $5k for mileage and add back roughly 50% of the MSRP difference for the build. A low option manual C2S is going to MSRP around $108k, so I would say $56-57k is a fair price.
Should be but not necessarily. Seats along with a bunch of other items are subjective. Part of the reason I took my car off the market was that I got tired of being told that my GT2 buckets that retail for $12,000 on Suncoast adds not one red cent to the value of my car but actually decreases the value of it since the buyer would have to go through the trouble of sourcing the seats of their choice, pay for the swap and then deal with the hassle of shipping the buckets to someone who wanted them. Never mind that a used set in good condition typically bring a minimum of $7,000.

So getting into the world of putting a price tag on certain options on a car you're selling or buying is all but certain to bring a sense of wasted time rather than productive time spent in my opinion.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:15 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Should be but not necessarily. Seats along with a bunch of other items are subjective. Part of the reason I took my car off the market was that I got tired of being told that my GT2 buckets that retail for $12,000 on Suncoast adds not one red cent to the value of my car but actually decreases the value of it since the buyer would have to go through the trouble of sourcing the seats of their choice, pay for the swap and then deal with the hassle of shipping the buckets to someone who wanted them. Never mind that a used set in good condition typically bring a minimum of $7,000.

So getting into the world of putting a price tag on certain options on a car you're selling or buying is all but certain to bring a sense of wasted time rather than productive time spent in my opinion.
Yeah, they are worth "less than nothing"!

I have a good idea: I will source you a set of matching 18-ways and send them to you: you can send me the buckets, and thank me later for raising the value of your car! I love this logic

The problem you "may" be running into is that your car is more along the lines of a collectible car, and a car like that is always worth more stock. It might not be more desirable to you, but being desirable and being what someone is willing to pay are 2 different things. I would rather buy a 997.2 GT3 with some mods that can be tracked with minimal effort, but that also brings a nice $5-10k deduction in value. The person paying top dollar for their cars and coffee car doesn't want any of these things installed.

I also love the wheels on your car, but again, stock GTS wheels are worth a lot more on there
Old 04-18-2019, 12:34 PM
RiccardoB
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's in good condition, but I had some doubts about the paint. I think it needed a polish stage 2 or 3.
I was able to negotiate the price to 58K but I found another deal, and it was through a dealer.
Here the link:
https://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/A...-Carrera-2S-4S
Originally Posted by street rod
If its in mint condition with perfect PPI then I think $57 - $59k What color is it? Dealer or private?
Old 04-18-2019, 01:28 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RiccardoB
It's in good condition, but I had some doubts about the paint. I think it needed a polish stage 2 or 3.
I was able to negotiate the price to 58K but I found another deal, and it was through a dealer.
Here the link:
This car isn't worth any more than the other one. The paint doesn't look good: I saw plenty of spider lines in the pictures.

If you are going to spend $65k, you can get a super low mile 2011 with great options if you are patient. I am talking full leather, 18-way sport seats, PSE, Sport PASM, turbo wheels. These cars are both a dime a dozen as far as build goes and not worth anywhere close to the asking price. $58k: sure, I could get on board with that. But if your budget is a bit more, be patient and the right one will pop up.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:16 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 85 Posts

As another data point I paid $65k for a 1 owner, exceptionally clean, C4S Manual coupe with full leather and other good options. 14k miles.

The car posted has poor paint quality and doesn't warrant the premium price. However, I would say that well cared for examples certainly can.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:05 PM
RiccardoB
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

May ask you when did you buy it?
Actually I ended up buy a 2011 w/ 26K miles, S-PASM, Sport chrono, 1 owner CPO C4S, but standard leather for 67.5K$. I probably paid 2-3K$ above the fair price, but the car is super clean (it lived in LA, CA).
Originally Posted by LISsailor
As another data point I paid $65k for a 1 owner, exceptionally clean, C4S Manual coupe with full leather and other good options. 14k miles.

The car posted has poor paint quality and doesn't warrant the premium price. However, I would say that well cared for examples certainly can.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:53 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! Pics?

Actually I ended up buy a 2011 w/ 26K miles, S-PASM, Sport chrono, 1 owner CPO C4S, but standard leather for 67.5K$. I probably paid 2-3K$ above the fair price, but the car is super clean (it lived in LA, CA).
Old 04-20-2019, 09:06 AM
taylor15
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I saw your first post I wondered if it was this car. I looked at it and the paint is why I moved on too. It’s definitely been through many bad car washes.

Here the link:
Old 04-20-2019, 02:44 PM
LISsailor
Pro

I bought the car in the fall of 2017. I should have also said it is a 2010.

Congrats on the new car! I don't think you are far off on price and it will be a faint memory after many years of enjoyment.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:09 PM
Nick Calvert
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and also looking to get in my first 911! Thank you to all of you for amazing contribution and knowledge - it blows me away.

I'm really set on finding a 997.2 C4S - dream color meteor grey with a lighter interior if possible, PDK and as loaded as possible or within reason.

I'm based in Quebec, Canada and have found this one - pretty much perfect options for me but wanted to know if this example has too many Kms so to speak - so long as a PPI or inspection checks out:

113,696 kms (70,647 miles) for $62,900 CAD / $48,000 USD - https://www.dgautoclub.com/vehicles/...-carrera-4s-2/

It has a full service history and maintenance up-to-date, The dealer also installed new pads and rotors in May of this year.

I was looking for an example with under 100KMS but they usually command a potential $10k CAD extra and have fewer options or not the options I'm looking for.

What do you think?

Thank you
Old 07-17-2019, 02:24 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nick Calvert
Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and also looking to get in my first 911! Thank you to all of you for amazing contribution and knowledge - it blows me away.

I'm really set on finding a 997.2 C4S - dream color meteor grey with a lighter interior if possible, PDK and as loaded as possible or within reason.

I'm based in Quebec, Canada and have found this one - pretty much perfect options for me but wanted to know if this example has too many Kms so to speak - so long as a PPI or inspection checks out:

113,696 kms (70,647 miles) for $62,900 CAD / $48,000 USD - https://www.dgautoclub.com/vehicles/...-carrera-4s-2/

It has a full service history and maintenance up-to-date, The dealer also installed new pads and rotors in May of this year.

I was looking for an example with under 100KMS but they usually command a potential $10k CAD extra and have fewer options or not the options I'm looking for.

What do you think?

Thank you
Seems high. I sold my 12k mile 2009 997.2 C2S in manual for $59,500 after 3 months of tire kicker interaction. Most people would pay an extra 12 grand for a car with 1/6th the mileage.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:21 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Of course you don’t want to overpay but if it’s the car you want then I’d recommend not haggling over a few thousand - you have to put a price on your time - plus another might not come available anytime soon
Old 07-30-2019, 06:30 PM
M550WatchGuy
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently purchased:
2011 C4S Cab PDK, SPASM, Sport Chrono, Sport exhaust, Manual sport Hard backs, full natural brown leather, Turbo 2 rims. 27k mi
$57k
Thought I did pretty well. Thoughts?
Old 07-30-2019, 10:08 PM
LISsailor
Pro

Originally Posted by M550WatchGuy
Recently purchased:
2011 C4S Cab PDK, SPASM, Sport Chrono, Sport exhaust, Manual sport Hard backs, full natural brown leather, Turbo 2 rims. 27k mi
$57k
Thought I did pretty well. Thoughts?
I think you did just fine. More importantly, how do YOU like it?!

Quick Reply: buying a 997.2 2009 CS4 - Need advice on the price